St.Mirren in the 90’s

My era, was a season ticket holder for most of it.

Should bring back some memories of good and terrible times.

It’s just to find out what it meant to you because there were some really good moments matched by some howlers.

This decade contained my worst ever game (Livingston 2-0 St.Mirren) at Meadowbank Stadium but also contained our 6-0 thrashing of Raith at Starks.

What about our relegation then near further relegation in a nail biter at Forthbank?

What do you remember most?

Probably my lowest ebb as a St. Mirren fan from the point of view of engagement with the team.

When I first moved to Jersey is 1986, I made it my mission to come back for at least 6 games a season. I achieved this for the first few years, but by the time the 90s came around, I’d started having kids and simply couldn’t afford to come back that often. So the only games I saw were the odd games I managed to coincide with family trips back to Scotland. In addition, this was obviously also at a time when TV coverage was at a bare minimum, especially when we went down to the first division. Even when Football First came around, I couldn’t even watch that as I couldn’t get STV in Jersey. Started catching it towards the end of the 90s when Sky Digital came in and you could tune in regional ITV channels. 
But for the most part of the 90s, other than looking out for the scores (including sometimes literally sitting “watching ceefax”), I was pretty detached from the team. Other than our top players from the time, I’d probably struggle to pick most of them out in a line up. 
Fortunately those dark times are well behind us now. 

In terms of actual memories of games attended during the 90s…….

A very cold 1-1 New Year game at Cappielow when Eddie Gallagher scored a cracking header for us.

A Wednesday/Saturday away double header. Beat Airdrie 3-1 at Broadwood (one of Mark Yardley’s first few games) and then followed it up with a 2-1 win at Dens. 
A 2-2 draw at home to Stirling Albion (Think I remember Alex Bone scored for them and they played the last part of the game with their reserve goalie playing centre forward 😩).

Last and very much least, an absolute 5-1 spanking at home to Morton. Horrendous. 

I remember the excellent team goal against Falkirk at Love Street which culminated in Paul McIntyre putting the ball into the net.

Season 1999/2000 speaks for itself.  Tom Hendrie, Mark Yardley, Barry Lavety, Barry McLaughlin, Hugh Murray, Scott Walker, Sir Tommy Turner to name a few...:notworthy

Eddie Gallaghar scoring at the old Boghead, I think he got a hat-trick and we still didn't win the match if I remember correctly?

3 minutes ago, BigYardsAndBasher said:

I remember the excellent team goal against Falkirk at Love Street which culminated in Paul McIntyre putting the ball into the net.

Season 1999/2000 speaks for itself.  Tom Hendrie, Mark Yardley, Barry Lavety, Barry McLaughlin, Hugh Murray, Scott Walker, Sir Tommy Turner to name a few...:notworthy

Eddie Gallaghar scoring at the old Boghead, I think he got a hat-trick and we still didn't win the match if I remember correctly?

I remember John Hewitt scoring a great goal v Falkirk after a stunning piece of play by the team.

Great free kick by Hewitt v Killie to give us a 2-1 win in 1993, I think.

1 minute ago, shull said:

I remember John Hewitt scoring a great goal v Falkirk after a stunning piece of play by the team.

http://www.stmirrenprogrammes.co.uk/StMirren/STM_Match_Details.php?Season=1992&GameID=199304240

12 minutes ago, BigYardsAndBasher said:

Nightmare , worse than Hammarby  

http://www.stmirrenprogrammes.co.uk/StMirren/STM_Match_Details.php?Season=1993&GameID=199310230

Edited by shull

1 hour ago, BigYardsAndBasher said:

This thread is meant to conjure up some memories, good and bad.

I remember that game at Boghead very well.

As I recall the fans changed ends at half-time, a very uncommon practice by that point. 3-0 up and cruising then lose 3 in the last 10 minutes. It was actually worse than a defeat!

1 hour ago, shull said:

That Hewitt goal is the stuff of legend. It was 10 passes prior to the goal, then 20, it’s probably at around 3,000 passes by now.

That was against Falkirk, think it finished 3-1 to us.

2 hours ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Think this was the only Live on TV St. Mirren game I saw in Jersey in the whole of the 90s. Certainly can’t think of any others. 
http://www.stmirrenprogrammes.co.uk/StMirren/STM_Match_Details.php?Season=1994&GameID=199501280

Played at Hampden due to stadium redevelopment at sellic park 

Season Tickets stopped being valid for entry to cup ties in this decade.

Our last Scottish Cup game with Season Ticket entry was versus Montrose.

We won 2-0.

http://www.stmirrenprogrammes.co.uk/StMirren/STM_Match_Details.php?Season=1993&GameID=199401290

Edited by shull

8 hours ago, shull said:

I stand corrected, Sir!

Yes indeed, John Hewitt was the man after that tremendous team play.

Big Paul McIntyre got two that day, maybe that's what got me mixed up.

http://www.stmirrenprogrammes.co.uk/StMirren/STM_Match_Details.php?Season=1993&GameID=199401030

19 hours ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Think this was the only Live on TV St. Mirren game I saw in Jersey in the whole of the 90s. Certainly can’t think of any others. 
http://www.stmirrenprogrammes.co.uk/StMirren/STM_Match_Details.php?Season=1994&GameID=199501280

Don't think this game would've been on the TV, it was a Saturday 3 o'clock game and I left work early to go to this, I'd planned to meet fellow workmates in the cellar bar after the game but they were involved in a bad car crash on the way home, luckily no one got seriously injured, I would have been in the crash if I hadn't went to the game..