So Farewell Then Shane McGowan

shull

10 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Just heard on ITV news that the dearly departed Shame was one of the greatest songwriters of his generation. :wacko:

With the utmost respect, I find that very hard to believe.

Anyhow, thanks for one of the annual Christmas songs that will always immortalise you. 

Shame or Shane? 
Both actually.
A troubled but interesting character. 
Certainly a life lived to the max. 

1 hour ago, faraway saint said:

Just heard on ITV news that the dearly departed Shane was one of the greatest songwriters of his generation. :wacko:

With the utmost respect, I find that very hard to believe.

Anyhow, thanks for one of the annual Christmas songs that will always immortalise you. 

Is it a Christmas song or a song set at Christmas?

I ask because some people claim it is a Christmas song but then say Die Hard isn't a Christmas film.
I suppose it depends on each person's own definition of a Xmas song (or film). To me, they're both just set at Xmas. Same as Home Alone. You could set them all at different times of year without changing the stories (except for the weather).

13 minutes ago, Slarti said:
57 minutes ago, StanleySaint said:
I ask because some people claim it is a Christmas song but then say Die Hard isn't a Christmas film.

I suppose it depends on each person's own definition of a Xmas song (or film). To me, they're both just set at Xmas. Same as Home Alone. You could set them all at different times of year without changing the stories (except for the weather).

Indeed, unlike the fabulous Arthur Christmas or Hark the herald angels, had the debate loads and it is funny how intransigent people get, hope in mentioning it one of our other posters doesn't have a strong opinion 🙄

Indeed, unlike the fabulous Arthur Christmas or Hark the herald angels, had the debate loads and it is funny how intransigent people get, hope in mentioning it one of our other posters doesn't have a strong opinion [emoji849]
I'll give you Arthur Christmas but not Hark The Herald Angels, as that is about the (supposed) birth of Jesus which, even if true, didn't happen in December. Just sayin', like.

9 hours ago, Slarti said:
10 hours ago, StanleySaint said:
Indeed, unlike the fabulous Arthur Christmas or Hark the herald angels, had the debate loads and it is funny how intransigent people get, hope in mentioning it one of our other posters doesn't have a strong opinion emoji849.png

I'll give you Arthur Christmas but not Hark The Herald Angels, as that is about the (supposed) birth of Jesus which, even if true, didn't happen in December. Just sayin', like.

I get your point, however as Christmas is the celebration of the birth of Christ whatever your opinion on the belief system behind it, then Hark The Herald Angels is a quintisential Christmas song.

15 hours ago, Albanian Buddy said:

Shame or Shane? 
Both actually.
A troubled but interesting character. 
Certainly a life lived to the max. 

I think he was very talented and love The Pogues. However, not sure I agree that many decades of dependency on alcohol is living life to the max.