War Films

Bloomsbury Bud

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The main theme Forbidden Colours is a beautiful piece of music so it really got on my tits when some bastard cranked up the tempo, stuck a dance beat under, put some willowy Japanese female vocals on it and called it The Heart of Asia. The heart had been ripped oot the tune. :angry:

Too true, didn't Sakamoto write that music in conjunction with David Sylvain (ex Japan front man) in the mid eighties for the smash hit Forbidden Colours....... All together now... "the wounds on your hands, never seem to heal............. B)

Flippin' 'eck! Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence with Paisley's own Tom Conti? That's a smashing film.

The main theme Forbidden Colours is a beautiful piece of music so it really got on my tits when some bastard cranked up the tempo, stuck a dance beat under, put some willowy Japanese female vocals on it and called it The Heart of Asia. The heart had been ripped oot the tune.  :angry:

171286[/snapback]

Aye, I know what you mean about Watergate's Heart of Asia. Still, there's been huge numbers of ripoff's worse than that. Pachelbel's Canon has found its way into gawd knows how many pop songs and while we're on the subject Barbers Adagio for Strings, the epic theme tune from Platoon, was of course taken to the dance scene by one William Orbit. That's two that spring to mind for a start.

Still must admit I bought HoA bought anyway as I plain love Forbidden Colours - used to hear my mum play that to death on the old tape decks when I was wee. Surely a chillout tune before the phrase was ever invented. B)

Never knew Tom Conti was from Paisley tho! :o:o:o

Here's mine,

1. All Quiet on the Western Front (1930)

2. Dr. Zhivago

3. Ann Franks

4. The Pianist

5. Apocalypse Now

Always been wary of watching Schindler's List as I find Spielberg an overly sentimental director. Shot in black & white I believe, this along with the subject matter made me think it his "serious" film and done mainly to get the Best Director Oscar. Haven't watched Saving Private Ryan for similar reasons.

Should I give them a go? (Either, Neither or Both)

Guest murdy

i havent seen schindlers list,but saving private ryan is worth seeing,if only for the opening 25 minute carnage. the rest is a bit too sentimental using the old war film thing of 'the guy who tells you all about himself is about to get killed'.

good action and none of this 'charge,tally ho get it up the ***' p*sh from the forties to the sixties.

the story is completely fabricated which puts me off as well.

Always been wary of watching Schindler's List as I find Spielberg an overly sentimental director. Shot in black & white I believe, this along with the subject matter made me think it his "serious" film and done mainly to get the Best Director Oscar.

171336[/snapback]

Totally understand your concerns BtB. I bought the film not knowing quite what to expect but thankfully it didn't disappoint me nor did it leave me cold. It's not a film everyone will love, and it may even strike some as over the top but it is at least accessible on the 1st viewing imo - think it leads into the story very well and in the end, I ended up not being able to take my eyes off it. :)

If I were you I'd arrange a night to rent it out & watch it. You can only not like the thing after all. Personally I like watching it either before/after watching Hitler: The Rise of Evil (Still maintain Carlyle was brilliant as the 1-testicled one) within a few days to get a feel for both ends of the story. B)

1 Das Boot

2 Saving Private Ryan

3 Full Metal Jacket

4 All Quiet on the Western Front

5 Enemy at the Gate

Interesting views on Saving Private Ryan. What I thought was excellent about it was its authenticity,which for me made it an anti-war film The wounds were the most realistic ever. None of your wee hole in the clean green uniform nonsense. How shite were those John Wayne films? I thought the scene whre they could hear the German tanks coming was superb. Every peice of equipment was genuine article. No M60 American tanks masquerading as Panzers. ! I do accept storyline was very contrived and a bit sentimental. However, it's the only film I've seen in the cinema where the audience sat stunned through the credits before leaving.

Deerhunter! Possibly the worst movie I have ever seen!

Guest murdy

some decent films in the bottom 50. some that wernt so much war films as films set with war as a background. ie cold mountain or gone with the wind.

good to here steven speilberg telling folk his particular favourites.

if you dont know the no.1 it might surprise some people.

some decent films in the bottom 50. some that wernt so much war films as films set with war as a background. ie cold mountain or gone with the wind.

good to here steven speilberg telling folk his particular favourites.

if you dont know the no.1 it might surprise some people.

171470[/snapback]

So, The Sound of Music was technically a war film :blink:

So, The Sound of Music was technically a war film :blink:

171493[/snapback]

A pedant types. Was the Sound of music not set in the time between the Anschluss and the outbreak of war?

Genuine question- I've never seen the bluidy thing.

A pedant types. Was the Sound of music not set in the time between the Anschluss and the outbreak of war?

Genuine question- I've never seen the bluidy thing.

171498[/snapback]

Ehm, dunno. :blink: I just remember them having to cross the Alps at the end to get away from the Nazis...

I thought it was Full Metal Jacket that was filmed around there. Maybe it was both?

171311[/snapback]

No - LBB and McB - I'm An Eedjit.

It was Full Metal Jacket. (also filmed at the Thames.)

(Dunno why my brain said Platoon. :blink: )

If you saw the C4 top 100 war films show last night and saw the clips from FMJ, you'd have seen the recruits being beasted running down a forest road - that was on our Downhill Mile in Epping Forest.

This year we'll be running it - UPHILL - now THAT's a beasting.

If you'd like to run the road the 'stars' have run - but do it the even harder way - than it's on Tuesday 24th May!

Thought the C4 show caught the best war films I could recall. I didn't agree with the considered best, but thats popular opinion for you. Also Casablanca, I wouldn't consider that a war film, seemed out of place.

After the comments on here and the film clips last night, I'd really like to see Kelly's Hero's again.

Was good to see a clip of Gallipoli - it'd slipped my mind, tremendous film.

Edited by Leamington Buddy Boy

Thought the C4 show caught the best war films I could recall. I didn't agree with the considered best, but thats popular opinion for you. Also Casablanca, I wouldn't consider that a war film, seemed out of place.

After the comments on here and the film clips last night, I'd really like to see Kelly's Hero's again.

Was good to see a clip of Gallipoli - it'd slipped my mind, tremendous film.

171560[/snapback]

Missed it. What was no1?