Booing Your Team, Ffs!

Drew

The players, management and board of St Mirren shouldn't be overly concerned about booing. They should be concerned that less and less fans will be inclined to turn up at home matches at all.

I don't think the booing will help in that respect.

At least the fans are there. If any player is thinking "they'll be booing again" they should up the effort at training and on match day. I'd even go so far as to say thet should have the intelligence to "call an audible" and react to what is happening on the park.

Not sure I get your point Drew. If our utterly abysmal home (and indeed away) form continues, there will be less booing...and less cheering, because there will be less bums on seats to boo or cheer.

Yesterday's booing at F/T won't be helpful, of course it won't, but it's understandable. Personally I didn't boo. I don't boo or abuse our players either individually or collectively. However, I, like many others, made an effort to attend two games this week to back the team. I saw us spunk leads in both games, lose both, be outplayed in both, by teams newly promoted to 'Div 1' and the 'SPL'. Queens and Thistle were both better organised, better set up, fought harder, and turned around losing matches. Personally, I just got up and silently left my seat at the end of both games. No booing.

I would condemn anyone who hurled senseless individual insults at Cornell or Caprice, or any player, but I'm not condemning the booing at F/T. So called 'lesser' opponents are getting the basic elements right - workrate, team spirit, tactics, substitutions, organisation... We are now falling apart in these basic areas! We made Partick Thistle look like Barcelona yesterday.

We are soft as shite and must be a dream to play against. No wonder some people booed.

Spouting abuse to a personal level to players is completely unacceptable. How is this meant to encourage and enhance a players performance?

Mentioned here and on another thread, the individual who shouted at Caprice to %*$£ off back to Blackpool is nothing short of disgusting and paints a horrible picture of our fans as a whole. People like this are better staying at home or placing a strip of duck tape across the gob on a matchday.

We may complain about the lack of signings over the summer, but through loan players and contracted players personal experience of a matchday, who the hell would want to come to our club with the level of abuse that is getting dished out?

We are going through a really SHIT period YES, but what we need here is the fans to get the players picked up with a positive message and a loud noise of backing on the stands.

Not sure I get your point Drew. If our utterly abysmal home (and indeed away) form continues, there will be less booing...and less cheering, because there will be less bums on seats to boo or cheer.

Yesterday's booing at F/T won't be helpful, of course it won't, but it's understandable. Personally I didn't boo. I don't boo or abuse our players either individually or collectively. However, I, like many others, made an effort to attend two games this week to back the team. I saw us spunk leads in both games, lose both, be outplayed in both, by teams newly promoted to 'Div 1' and the 'SPL'. Queens and Thistle were both better organised, better set up, fought harder, and turned around losing matches. Personally, I just got up and silently left my seat at the end of both games. No booing.

I would condemn anyone who hurled senseless individual insults at Cornell or Caprice, or any player, but I'm not condemning the booing at F/T. So called 'lesser' opponents are getting the basic elements right - workrate, team spirit, tactics, substitutions, organisation... We are now falling apart in these basic areas! We made Partick Thistle look like Barcelona yesterday.

We are soft as shite and must be a dream to play against. No wonder some people booed.

I thought the point was quite simple Paul, and I'd made it earlier.

If we are trying to encourage people to come and support our club, booing the players off the pitch is hardly indicative of a good way to spend an afternoon. It reflects poorly on the support and the occasion. All this adds up to is less likelihood that people will come back.

I'm not suggesting that we should all give a cheer for the players, management and BoD when we suffer a defeat, but booing is pointless. It is akin to 6 years olds throwing tantrums, and embarrassing, in my opinion.

I posted my feelings on the performance last night, and clearly stated my view that the indefensible cannot be defended. It was shocking, but the booing only added to the disaffection and sense of futility I felt as I left the ground. I can't imagine it will have helped the players pick up their game in the future, either.

I thought the point was quite simple Paul, and I'd made it earlier.

If we are trying to encourage people to come and support our club, booing the players off the pitch is hardly indicative of a good way to spend an afternoon. It reflects poorly on the support and the occasion. All this adds up to is less likelihood that people will come back.

I'm not suggesting that we should all give a cheer for the players, management and BoD when we suffer a defeat, but booing is pointless. It is akin to 6 years olds throwing tantrums, and embarrassing, in my opinion.

I posted my feelings on the performance last night, and clearly stated my view that the indefensible cannot be defended. It was shocking, but the booing only added to the disaffection and sense of futility I felt as I left the ground. I can't imagine it will have helped the players pick up their game in the future, either.

I get your initial point and your reasoning for starting the thread in the first place, I just didn't get your point in the subsequent post I quoted. Fcuking Boooooooooooo! Edited by pozbaird

I get your initial point and your reasoning for starting the thread in the first place, I just didn't get your point in the subsequent post I quoted. Fcuking Boooooooooooo!

My point was that the booing won't help in terms of the potential for people to stay away either. Maybe we're at cross-purposes here.

My point was that the booing won't help in terms of the potential for people to stay away either. Maybe we're at cross-purposes here.

I'm not getting it Drew, sorry mate. I'm saying that the club shouldn't be overly concerned by the booing, they should be concerned that less people will be coming through the turnstiles at all.

Are you saying that some fans who were at yesterdays game might be put off coming back for future games because they didn't like the booing they heard?

We could twirl our scarves if not happy...added bonus of the scarves in front blocking our view. None of the first half was due to booing or shouts, it was down to a lack of preparation, lack of organisation, rubbish tactics, a Manager who just doesn't know and a group of players lacking confidence at best.

maybe take the barca approach and waiving white hankies would be better, either way it is a visible or verbal communication saying that this is not good enough.

PC? WTF are you on about?

Cheering (when playing well) and booing (when playing badly) is all part of the game and this is what spectators have done since the Incas were booting decapitated heads around courtyards.

In our modern pc times people are starting to criticise the negative aspect of booing as akin to abusing employees in the workplace.

It's a spectator sport that stirs emotions in people and booing is the most effective way to get the message across collectively on a Saturday afternoon.

If you are so against the booing then what are the alternatives?

Are you saying that some fans who were at yesterdays game might be put off coming back for future games because they didn't like the booing they heard?

Pretty much.

Remember that I sit in the family stand, and I see how the general atmosphere of the occasion can impact on the kids, and, in turn, their parents.

We're expecting people to folk out good maoney to come along and "enjoy" an occasion at the end of the day. Of course what happens on the park is critical in this, but the general atmosphere and tone off the field also has a bearing.

Its not as simple as not liking the booing, but people make choices on how they spend their time. Anything that could influence that choice in terms of some folk opting not to come to SMP cannot be a good thing. I don't think the booing (and associated bile) is likely to be an attractive feature, do you?

Edited by Drew

Cheering (when playing well) and booing (when playing badly) is all part of the game and this is what spectators have done since the Incas were booting decapitated heads around courtyards.

In our modern pc times people are starting to criticise the negative aspect of booing as akin to abusing employees in the workplace.

It's a spectator sport that stirs emotions in people and booing is the most effective way to get the message across collectively on a Saturday afternoon.

We could do what some Italian and Argentinian fans have done - set fire to Ralston, hang about Ralston to abuse the players, or chib their cars in the car park.

A bit of booing is preferable I'd say.

It has nothing to do with being PC. I've already pointed out that I'm only concerned about seeing the club succeed (a few posts back).

Of course it stirs emotions, but people also need to learn to regulate their emotions, especially if they are potentially destructive in relation to the outcome that I'm assuming we all want to see - ie: the management and players turning our fortunes round.

We could do what some Italian and Argentinian fans have done - set fire to Ralston, hang about Ralston to abuse the players, or chib their cars in the car park.

A bit of booing is preferable I'd say.

Now you're being a bit silly.

Pretty much.

Reember that I sit n the family stand, and I see how the general atmosphere of the occasion can impact on the kids, and, in turn, their parents.

We're expecting people to folk out good maoney to come along and "enjoy" an occasion at the end of the day. Of course what happens on the pirk is critical in this, but the general atmosphere and tone off the field also has a bearing.

Its not as simple as not liking the booing, but people make choices on how they spend their time. Anything that could influence that choice in terms of some folk opting not to come to SMP cannot be a good thing. I don't think the booing (and associated bile) is likely to be an attractive feature, do you?

No, as I have said, booing won't help anyone, but I'm not sure how much of a factor it would be in actually putting people off going at all. I could understand people with kids in the family stand not wanting to hear foul mouthed abuse or personal 'go back to Blackpool!' nonsense... but five seconds of booing after another dismal home defeat? Not a massive factor, just my opinion.

No, as I have said, booing won't help anyone, but I'm not sure how much of a factor it would be in actually putting people off going at all. I could understand people with kids in the family stand not wanting to hear foul mouthed abuse or personal 'go back to Blackpool!' nonsense... but five seconds of booing after another dismal home defeat? Not a massive factor, just my opinion.

Its the pervasive negativity, and the booing simply feeds into and perpetuates that. That WILL put people off.

Believe me, it is putting me off.

Edited by Drew

Now you're being a bit silly.

Me? Never! Do 3G surfaces burn? Time to torch Ralston and show them how we really feel about results...I'll bring the pitchforks, Oaksoft can bring the indignation. You get the coffees in.

Who's with me!?

Hello? Who's with me!? Damn.

- ie: the management and players turning our fortunes round.

You be missing the point, for many (certainly the majority of people I personally know and on social media) they are booing to get the BOD to act and make a managerial change.

Last week many people stated that they would see how we get on against county, qots and Thistle and if we lost all three then that's (to quote Obama) crossing a red line moment.

The boos will only continue till the change has been made for many. The board made the mistake of tolerating a split support for many months with Gus, they have that choice to make again, now.

Unfortunately having been played off the park by a young energetic Thistle side and this on the back of defeats at Dingwall and QOS its only natural that there will be a "reaction" from the fans. What worries me is when are we going to get a "reaction" from the players ?

Signs yesterday were not good as we basically chucked it !

Unfortunately having been played off the park by a young energetic Thistle side and this on the back of defeats at Dingwall and QOS its only natural that there will be a "reaction" from the fans. What worries me is when are we going to get a "reaction" from the players ?

Signs yesterday were not good as we basically chucked it !

You be missing the point, for many (certainly the majority of people I personally know and on social media) they are booing to get the BOD to act and make a managerial change.

Last week many people stated that they would see how we get on against county, qots and Thistle and if we lost all three then that's (to quote Obama) crossing a red line moment.

The boos will only continue till the change has been made for many. The board made the mistake of tolerating a split support for many months with Gus, they have that choice to make again, now.

Well, if you reckon the booing is the thing that will bring about the change you (and others) crave, then I've no doubt that you'll continue doing it.

I think you are fundamentally missing my point here, however. In the meantime, I'd question whether the booing will have anything other than a negative impact on our on-field perfomances. For me, that is what is most important.