I'm Listening To....

Bud the Baker

I was referring to the tune. The lyrics are a different matter.

Is the noise the sax makes not part of the tune?

Anyway I was there back during the Punk Wars, not quite shoulder to shoulder with Bongo (as there was a lot of Phlegm in that particular vicinity), but rather I can claim to have been conscious at the time and I remember many punks using that song (Rat Trap) as an excuse to cast The Boomtown Rats into the musical Void.

Edited by Bud the Baker

Yes, you're right - the boomtown Rats and Bruce Springsteen are both pish.

Why have you missed out Tom Waits? It's not like you to stop a rant ⅔'s of the way thru'. In the absynth of any logical reason for this premature termination of your omnidirectional and usually limitless bile I can only think of one thing to say, another catchphrase from a grumpy oldster - I don't belieeeeeeeeeeeve it!

Why have you missed out Tom Waits? It's not like you to stop a rant ⅔'s of the way thru'. In the absynth of any logical reason for this premature termination of your omnidirectional and usually limitless bile I can only think of one thing to say, another catchphrase from a grumpy oldster - I don't belieeeeeeeeeeeve it!

Insect. Waits is on a totally different planet to the self-publicising Irish gobshite and the hapless New Jersey noisemaker. Absynth? What are you speaking of?

Is the noise the sax makes not part of the tune?

Anyway I was there back during the Punk Wars, not quite shoulder to shoulder with Bongo (as there was a lot of Phlegm in that particular vicinity), but rather I can claim to have been conscious at the time and I remember many punks using that song (Rat Trap) as an excuse to cast The Boomtown Rats into the musical Void.

I meant the main melody and fine bloody well you know that!

As for casting theminto the void, well as long as it was Clash fans then I'd take that as a compliment. :rolleyes:

DMC,

OMD are the best pop band in the last 20 odd years. I seen them quite a few times live, wonderful stuff....

Last night I got into Toto live in Amsterdam on dvd. Great

These live dvd's are something else. Im going to be buying a lot more of them.

Pulse Pink Floyd is out soon on DVD a must for any music lover.

I have Pulse on DVD!! :ph34r:

Must be copied from a VHS tape which means you are missing out on the remasterd version which has a sharper picture plus 5.1 surround sound and an extra dvd with interviews and back stage documentary. I can't wait to watch it. I was at the show with the late Stewart Jack of Cloud 9

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0007QS...glance&n=283926

Insect. Waits is on a totally different planet to the self-publicising Irish gobshite and the hapless New Jersey noisemaker. Absynth? What are you speaking of?

Scarab. I can imagine why Waits fascination with lowlife charachters would strike a chord with you. Absynth? An old favourite of mine which always seems to draw a comment from you! :lol:

A review of the great band MUSE’s new album from cd-wow. It’s a cracker by the way. Aye the album….

With the ever growing glob of guitar bands around, it’s rare to find one with such a unique identity. But that’s what the Devon threesome have created in the near seven years from their stupendous ‘Showbiz’ album in 1999. It seems like they’ve been around longer, but maybe that’s down to the huge impact they put in each and every one of their tracks. The contrasting combination if raunchy guitars with cherubic vocals, and an impenetrable wall of sound which still is loaded with delicacy. Few would dare to mix a grand piano, with a wallop of bass, and then layered with the majesty of Mercurial voices - that’s both Freddy-esque and angelic.

You instinctively know that the quiet twiddly start of “Take A Bow” is going to be short lived, and as soon as Matt Bellamy has got the message of burning in Hell across, the track gets bigger and bigger. Nifty sampled production mixed with old-school guitar work lead it intro a rock monster of genuine power, topped off with an ELO meets Queen crescendo at the end. Marvellous.

If there has been criticism of the band before, then it was that they weren’t “accessible” enough (though with the blandness of so much pop, surely that’s an plus point) but the wonderful glam-tinged of “Starlight” followed by the shuffling Aerosmith catchiness of “Supermassive Black Hole” show that they can be as immediate as most of the twaddle of singles-land. But this is driven, inimitable, hi-thrills power.

There’s the same massive appeal on “Map Of The Problematique”, which is also one of their danciest numbers to date. Industrial style - the Pet Shop Boys possessed by Satan. Naturally Matt, Chris & Dominic are easily adept in tweaking their style at will. “Soldier’s Poem” has the same pace and cleverly scribed pathos as the REM classic “Everybody Hurts” and tugs at the senses just as much. That sentiment dovetails perfectly with “Invincible” which marches on to another glorious climax.

Never be in any doubt about their playing credentials either. The scintillating drumming on “Assassin” is as rip-roaring as Metallica, whilst still keeping their deeply melodic streak. “Exo-Politics” is probably the weakest track, but the trademark Queen-styled vocal harmonies lift it’s head above treading water. After that it’s the surprise of flamenco guitars and trumpets on “City Of Delusion” which evolves from prickly cactus accompanyment into another dark stomper. It’s the contrasts again that make it all work so well – thumping beats forged with lighter strings never leave the result turgid. You are enveloped by the sound, never brought down by it.

By now they are firmly in Mexican territory, as the Latin guitar and trampled beat of “Hoodoo” is definitely enough to whip out the tequila. It’s majestically brooding, but this being Muse, they’ll never stay in one locale for too long. So they whip out the grand piano again. After all, you should never head south of the border without one. “Knights Of Cydonia” then sees them ride off into the sunset at a pacey gallop, with a sentiment of putting things right and fighting for our rights. It’s a defiant end to another work of inspired brilliance.

They apply enough light and shade to make the result completely absorbing, resisting any temptation for grey areas in between. If ‘Absolution’ blew your socks off (as it should have done) three years ago, then this will do the same – only differently. It was deeper, darker, with a manic depressive rift before, this time out they have a jauntier feel melded with a still perky, fresh and rebellious quality. Their recent top 5 single was only a nudge away from their proven style of old, but showed that their unique edge can be accepted more by the mainstream these days. Never has a band been so worthy of collective appreciation.

Neil Chase

Music Editor

Scarab. I can imagine why Waits fascination with lowlife charachters would strike a chord with you. Absynth? An old favourite of mine which always seems to draw a comment from you! :lol:

Worm. You know not even the correct spelling of the drink of choice of the artist/looney. Begone from my field of vision !