I'm Listening To....

Bud the Baker

Howard,

Regarding Nick Drake, his first two albums Five Leaves Left and Bryter Layter were recorded with a band containing guys like Richard Thompson (Fairport Convention) on electric guitar and Danny Thompson (Pentangle) on acoustic bass. If you like sensitive singer-songwriter stuff from the early 70's these albums are above average and contain some real gems like Hazey Jane. A lot of his stuff has been lifted for TV work and I'd be surprised if you haven't heard the instumental passages from at least half-a-dozen songs from these two albums.

Pink Moon was recorded with just ND on acoustic guitar and occasionally piano and is very, very bleak. There is an album released posthumously Black Dog but it's for completists only.

Steve Hackett - there's a guy who never courted popularity. His work is quite dense and not always an easy listen. His most accesible work is Spectral Mornings but an album I think you'd like is Genesis Revisited (released in '97) which is old Genesis tracks, not all from the SH era, revemped. He has released a lot of live material over the last few years, both recent and archive, always interesting never a guy to rest on his laurels.

I always consider SH to be the most important member of the group musically as it was he who persuaded the group to invest in a Mellotron, prior to the Nursery Cryme album, which defined Genesis's sound up till And Then There Were Three and the Phil Collins era.

Edited by Bud the Baker

Howard,

Regarding Nick Drake, his first two albums Five Leaves Left and Bryter Layter were recorded with a band containing guys like Richard Thompson (Fairport Convention) on electric guitar and Danny Thompson (Pentangle) on acoustic bass. If you like sensitive singer-songwriter stuff from the early 70's these albums are above average and contain some real gems like Hazey Jane. A lot of his stuff has been lifted for TV work and I'd be surprised if you haven't heard the instumental passages from at least half-a-dozen songs from these two albums.

Pink Moon was recorded with just ND on acoustic guitar and occasionally piano and is very, very bleak. There is an album released posthumously Black Dog but it's for completists only.

Steve Hackett - there's a guy who never courted popularity. His work is quite dense and not always an easy listen. His most accesible work is Spectral Mornings but an album I think you'd like is Genesis Revisited (released in '97) which is old Genesis tracks, not all from the SH era, revemped. He has released a lot of live material over the last few years, both recent and archive, always interesting never a guy to rest on his laurels.

I always consider SH to be the most important member of the group musically as it was he who persuaded the group to invest in a Mellotron, prior to the Nursery Cryme album, which defined Genesis's sound up till And Then There Were Three and the Phil Collins era.

Forgot, I've got Genesis Revisited. Agree that SH is pretty dense sounding, from what I've heard anyway. Read a few interviews with him over the years and he stated that Genesis was his "apprenticeship". Also read about his frustrations in the group limiting his input and that's why he chucked it. Certainly much less well known that Phil Collins, Mike & the Mechanics and PG but someone who manages to stick to his true artistic calling and achieves a lot of critical acclaim. A bit like Peter Gabriel but he's more of a performer than SH so that's why he's better known, I think.

aye, its the only genesis cd i like :P

That's their worst album. :rolleyes:

Bud, Howard- What about "Voyage of the acoylyte"?

First rate album and probably SH's first. Used to have it on vinyl- time to get it on CD methinks.

Just been rereleased on CD with bonus trax!

Currently groovin' to Porcupine Tree - On The Sunday Of Lifea collection of early work (88-91) where you can really hear the band's (Wilson's) musical roots (in alphabetical order) The Beatles, Gong, Kraftwerk and Pink Floyd.

Bud, Howard- What about "Voyage of the acoylyte"?

First rate album and probably SH's first. Used to have it on vinyl- time to get it on CD methinks.

I’ve got Voyage of the Acolyte and Please Don’t Touch somewhere in the house.

Were ye in a hurry McB? :rolleyes:

Naw, Wullie, naw, ye said "Fly Me to the Moon, Frank Sinatra" as if you were askin' Frank to, well, fly ye to the moon. That's different to Fly Me to the Moon BY Frank Sinatra. I ken the sang. Wull be singin' it ootside Aitchies oan Monday.

REF: The Nick Drake stuff...

There are another few albums kicking about, I have one called "Made to Love Magic", definatly for the hardcore only. FLL BL are superb pieces of work, but Pink Moon is one of the most PERFECT albums ever made.

Made to love magic is a collection of demo tracks and raw unproduced versions that sound like they were recorded in the Morton trophy room. Have heard his family initally refused its release coz it was so dire, but needed the cash so eventually relented to cash in.

His first two albums are great, If you don't have it already, go out today and buy a copy of Pink Moon.

I think Nick Drake is even better than the great John Martyn.

:ninja

Edited by No Ninjas

REF: The Nick Drake stuff...

There are another few albums kicking about, I have one called "Made to Love Magic", definatly for the hardcore only. FLL BL are superb pieces of work, but Pink Moon is one of the most PERFECT albums ever made.

Made to love magic is a collection of demo tracks and raw unproduced versions that sound like they were recorded in the Morton trophy room. Have heard his family initally refused its release coz it was so dire, but needed the cash so eventually relented to cash in.

His first two albums are great, If you don't have it already, go out today and buy a copy of Pink Moon.

I think Nick Drake is even better than the great John Martyn.

:ninja

I agree, Pink Moon is an beautiful album however by the time ND recorded it he could no longer disguise his emotional turmoil. I was just pointing out the lyrical material is bleak.

Edited by Bud the Baker