Favourite Artist Or Singer

HAMMY #COYS

So the fact that Bowie has had over 50 singles in the top 40 and Dire Straits over 12 hasn't led to album sales increasing?

Single's success mainly leads to groups building a fan base to allow them to sell albums, and in turn, become more successful

It's no surprise that since Dire Straits single success has dropped so has the album sales.

Are you REALLY saying the singles chart has no relationship to an artists success?

In Dire Straits case it was more or less the success of the album that lead the record companies taking singles from it.

Pink Floyd and Led Zepplins had great success but top of my head i don't recall many singles

In Dire Straits case it was more or less the success of the album that lead the record companies taking singles from it.

Pink Floyd and Led Zepplins had great success but top of my head i don't recall many singles

Oh dear, yes Floyd & Zepplin, indeed, are not bands who's success has been built on singles but I could name you many more who have built on the success of the Top 40 if you want to play that game. thumbup2.gif

Only one winner there I'm afraid. bye1.gif

Oh dear, yes Floyd & Zepplin, indeed, are not bands who's success has been built on singles but I could name you many more who have built on the success of the Top 40 if you want to play that game. thumbup2.gif

Only one winner there I'm afraid. bye1.gif

Don't really agree.

At one time singles certainly as it cost a lot a money to produce an album.

People bought singles as it was a lot cheaper.

But as time went by i would say the tables turned and an artist album sales were the real gauge how well they were doing.

Michael Jackson's Thriller many of the singles were released after the album had been out for months

Don't really agree.

At one time singles certainly as it cost a lot a money to produce an album.

People bought singles as it was a lot cheaper.

But as time went by i would say the tables turned and an artist album sales were the real gauge how well they were doing.

Michael Jackson's Thriller many of the singles were released after the album had been out for months

So the singles chart is platform for an artist to let people hear, usually, the better songs from an album which , in turn, increases and prolongs album sales.

The top 40 or 30 is often the place an artist gets recognition from a wider audience and, again, album sales increase from this.

Sure, sometimes it's a chicken & egg thing but to say the top 40 is crass and full of artists that probably won't be heard of in a year or two is simply not true and it is popular music, whether some people like it or not.

The recent world wide hit Gangam Style, has propelled Psy to a level he has never achieved after many years of trying. This world wide fame was assisted by You Tube, first single to be viewed over a billion times. I'm not saying it's my taste but it's sold enough to make this guy a fortune.

Edited by faraway saint

Hey faraway you started it. Nobody has agreed with your assertion that MJ is a King

I'll try to make this clear for you, the threads about favourite artist or singer.

When Jackson died it was a free for all on a thread, which was fine.

I'm only pointing out he was one of the best performing artists in our time.

I hope this is clear, if not, drink more Peroni, ya dafty.

I'll try to make this clear for you, the threads about favourite artist or singer.

When Jackson died it was a free for all on a thread, which was fine.

I'm only pointing out he was one of the best performing artists in our time.

I hope this is clear, if not, drink more Peroni, ya dafty.

Oh dear, and today started so well

You see Ned, that's the kind of "crass" comment that makes me laugh.

"Horses for courses" and you come out with that music snobbery that's rife in certain age groups.

Music is for everybody and for you to think that, just because you think popular (Check that out, by the way) is crass suggests that anything out of the top 40 is "cool".

Sorry, piss poor post. :thumbsdown:thumbsdown :thumbsdow

Where did I say popular music is crass? Popular music exists beyond the top 40. My point was that just there is a whole world of music out there beyond the top 40 which is ignored if not on the playlist. The kids like the top 40 and that's fine. Personally I dislike a lot of it and its nothing to do with age as I have bands like Script, Kodaline, Foals, Passenger and Hurt in my collection.

PS Two of your best ever gigs were Bowie & Dire Straits, what do you think contributed to their success?