Loan Signings : The Way To Go?

Last season we used the loan market extremely well and got some real quality in with Goncalves, Dummet & Newton.

This season we have Cornell & Newton so far and it looks like Jake Caprice if he signs will be another loan signing along with the French striker if we sign him would also be coming in on loan.

I don't see any thing wrong with 1 or 2 loan signings but I am worried that this season we could be looking at 4 to 5 loan signings in our team. Surely they must be a limit of how loan signings? How many can we field and I am worried that loan signings is not the way to go if we are embroiled in a relegation scrap (Touch wood we are not)?

Thoughts?

Edited by Dave The Buddie

Last season we used the loan market extremely well and got some real quality in with Goncalves, Dummet & Newton.

This season we have Cornell & Newton so far and it looks like Jake Caprice if he signs will be another loan signing along with the French striker if we sign him would also be coming in on loan.

I don't see any thing wrong with 1 or 2 loan signings but I am worried that this season we could be looking at 4 to 5 loan signings in our team. Surely they must be a limit of how loan signings? How many can we field and I am worried that loan signings is not the way to go if we are embroiled in a relegation scrap (Touch wood we are not)?

Thoughts?

For the most part it makes little difference as most players are on 12 month contracts these days.

For the most part it makes little difference as most players are on 12 month contracts these days.

Yeah but these players are surely only caring about game time they have a club to go to. Others who have only 12 months are playing for a new contract or are looking to attract other clubs

Yeah but these players are surely only caring about game time they have a club to go to. Others who have only 12 months are playing for a new contract or are looking to attract other clubs

Aye, but surely the players on loan will be putting in performances to impress their parent clubs? Certainly benefited Dummetts career.

I'm pretty sure Caprice is only contracted to Blackpool until the end of the season so it's likely he'll be playing for a new contract with us or looking to attract other clubs.

I'm pretty sure Caprice is only contracted to Blackpool until the end of the season so it's likely he'll be playing for a new contract with us or looking to attract other clubs.

That means we are changing at least half our starting eleven every season. If they good enough get them signed up on two year deal to bring a bit of stability

That means we are changing at least half our starting eleven every season. If they good enough get them signed up on two year deal to bring a bit of stability

Unfortunately it seems like most players in Scotland outwith Celtic will look to have 1 good year at a club to put there face in the shop window then try to get a move to the championship.

Players on the up dont want to sign 2 year deals with clubs like St Mirren, they want to be able to move with minimal obstruction if a bigger club shows interest. 12 month deals suit them as they are available at every transfer window. If the big money beckons then they will be happy to sign longer term deals, but it wont be at St Mirren

For now at least, we are a stepping stone for these players

Players on the up dont want to sign 2 year deals with clubs like St Mirren, they want to be able to move with minimal obstruction if a bigger club shows interest. 12 month deals suit them as they are available at every transfer window. If the big money beckons then they will be happy to sign longer term deals, but it wont be at St Mirren

For now at least, we are a stepping stone for these players

Spot on. Edited by JM1

I wonder if we could borrow some fans who dinnae pish their pants at the first hint of relegation.

As long as we don't need to pay a transfer fee for them.

There's so many needing punted that we'd be bankrupt.

Most of them don't even go to games either which is very odd.