Save On Power Bills

faraway saint

Oaksoft thinks there isn't an expert in the country who thinks we will reduce energy consumption. One street in Stonehaven reduced their energy consumption by 52% over 3 weeks in April for a BBC TV programme. I suggest that anyone interested in saving money on their energy bills take a look at the programme. There are some fantastic tips in there.

Edited by Stuart Dickson

Oaksoft thinks there isn't an expert in the country who thinks we will reduce energy consumption. One street in Stonehaven reduced their energy consumption by 52% over 3 weeks in April for a BBC TV programme. I suggest that anyone interested in saving money on their energy bills take a look at the programme. There are some fantastic tips in there.

FFS one fecking street in one country in one 3 week period isn't exactly what I was talking about ya numpty.

Come back when the entire country's average energy consumption starts to drop over the longer term and I might be convinced.

When (and if) that happens, you'll find a technology solution at the root of it.

I have mixed feelings as Christmas approaches.

To be fair, I can relate to Oaksoft's position as I have vivid memories of sitting in a friend's dad's car early in the New Year when we were about 15, and his dad quizzing me in forensic detail about what I had been given at Christmas. This was simply an attempt to establish that their family was considerably, and demonstrably, richer than mine. We lived with my mum - a lone parent - who struggled to make ends meet but was loving and supportive in every way.

It was sickening, to be honest, and gave me a sense of perspective in terms of what genuinely matters.

I have mixed feelings as Christmas approaches.

To be fair, I can relate to Oaksoft's position as I have vivid memories of sitting in a friend's dad's car early in the New Year when we were about 15, and his dad quizzing me in forensic detail about what I had been given at Christmas. This was simply an attempt to establish that their family was considerably, and demonstrably, richer than mine. We lived with my mum - a lone parent - who struggled to make ends meet but was loving and supportive in every way.

It was sickening, to be honest, and gave me a sense of perspective in terms of what genuinely matters.

Can understand how you felt Drew. Your pal's dad should have got a festive kick in the balls. I imagine he was an all year round bollocks, not just at Christmas. Nobody has to celebrate Christmas but to ridicule and pour derision on those who do for fatuous reasons is despicable. Hasten to add I'm not including you amongst those for you have said you have mixed feelings.

FFS one fecking street in one country in one 3 week period isn't exactly what I was talking about ya numpty.

Come back when the entire country's average energy consumption starts to drop over the longer term and I might be convinced.

When (and if) that happens, you'll find a technology solution at the root of it.

You didn't watch it then? Experts on energy saying that we HAVE to reduce consumption by at least one third, and when asked why by Kate Humble one responded it's because we are reducing our generating capacity by closing coal powered stations. I guess you wouldn't have seen the housing estate in Lockerbie using one third of the energy of the national average simply by harnessing the power of the sun and using log fired boilers.

Windmills are a waste of time and money Oaksoft. All the experts know it.

Can understand how you felt Drew. Your pal's dad should have got a festive kick in the balls. I imagine he was an all year round bollocks, not just at Christmas. Nobody has to celebrate Christmas but to ridicule and pour derision on those who do for fatuous reasons is despicable. Hasten to add I'm not including you amongst those for you have said you have mixed feelings.

I have kids, Rick, though they are well up now, and always enjoyed the build up and excitement surrounding Christmas when they were wee. I still enjoy many elements of it, and confess to indulging in the convention of chucking money at the accumulation of stuff, but some of the excess does get me down at times.

Worth adding that, as an atheist, I can't claim to have an interest in the faith based components of the festivities, which begs the question as to why I would celebrate it in the first place. That said, I can easily get caught up in the atmosphere, and certainly wouldn't piss on anyone else's chips as regards how they choose to enjoy the period.

I have kids, Rick, though they are well up now, and always enjoyed the build up and excitement surrounding Christmas when they were wee. I still enjoy many elements of it, and confess to indulging in the convention of chucking money at the accumulation of stuff, but some of the excess does get me down at times.

Worth adding that, as an atheist, I can't claim to have an interest in the faith based components of the festivities, which begs the question as to why I would celebrate it in the first place. That said, I can easily get caught up in the atmosphere, and certainly wouldn't piss on anyone else's chips as regards how they choose to enjoy the period.

TBF l have a similar view myself but l reckon for most people now , it is just a festival primarily for the benefit of kids . For those whom do still perceive it as a religious festival , they have my respect too. .