Free Kicks And The Offside Rule

Drew

Can anyone more clued up on the rules of the game enlighten me in this area.

Twice yesterday, Aberdeen had free kicks awarded just outside our box, and on both occasions, it seemed to me that Adam Rooney was clearly standing in an offside position when the ball was played.

Now, granted, he didn't play the ball, but he was standing in Kello's line of vision, so I assumed this would constitute interfering with play. The dope of a west stand linesman was looking along the line but didn't flag on either occasion.

I'm happy to be put right on this, and there is every chance I'm missing something very obvious (it wouldn't be the first time).

Cheers in advance.

Can anyone more clued up on the rules of the game enlighten me in this area.

Twice yesterday, Aberdeen had free kicks awarded just outside our box, and on both occasions, it seemed to me that Adam Rooney was clearly standing in an offside position when the ball was played.

Now, granted, he didn't play the ball, but he was standing in Kello's line of vision, so I assumed this would constitute interfering with play. The dope of a west stand linesman was looking along the line but didn't flag on either occasion.

I'm happy to be put right on this, and there is every chance I'm missing something very obvious (it wouldn't be the first time).

Cheers in advance.

I was watching Rooney doing that too.

However, as soon as the kick was taken he moved back onside, just.

A fine line between him being off or on, and a useful tactic, given the incompetence of the refereeing "team".

I was watching Rooney doing that too.

However, as soon as the kick was taken he moved back onside, just.

A fine line between him being off or on, and a useful tactic, given the incompetence of the refereeing "team".

I thought one call was very marginal, but the other (the first, IIRC) looked as though he was a foot or two off.

There was a case a few years ago, down in engerlund, where the attacking team put a man on the post when taking direct free kicks. Plan was ,when the ball was struck towards the area of goal occupied by him , he would simply move out the way of the ball.Their argument was that as the player had no intention of playing the ball therefore was not "active".

IIRC , the powers deemed that his presence was an unfair distraction on the keeper & therefore hes offside. I would have thought anyone blocking the keepers view while in an offside position as you described would have to be flagged as offside.

But then again , sometimes i feel the officials dont even know how to interpret their own rules.

The way I understand it, the player is in an offside position, but he doesnt commit an offence until he becomes active. This could be touching the ball or blocking another player's access to the ball. The linesman doesnt flag until this happens.

There was the goal that Newcastle got chopped off against Man City a few months ago though where someone was deemed offside even though they never touched the ball or made any attempt to, presumably because he was distracting the keeper in some way. Problem is that wouldn't get called 9 times out of 10.

I have not read through all the comments. When a free-kick is taken every player is active in the taking of the set piece. Now although Rooney is in an offside position, has made no attempt to play the ball. Although he is in line of vision of the goalkeeper he hasn't committed an offence until his movement towards the ball. If there is a deflection off a st mirren jersey the the ball then changes direction, then Rooney is in an on-side position. It's only if it comes off the goalkeeper where he will remain off-side, if this makes sence. It's a gamble Rooney takes. He did it at Inverness too. It's annoying, but clever.

I have not read through all the comments. When a free-kick is taken every player is active in the taking of the set piece. Now although Rooney is in an offside position, has made no attempt to play the ball. Although he is in line of vision of the goalkeeper he hasn't committed an offence until his movement towards the ball. If there is a deflection off a st mirren jersey the the ball then changes direction, then Rooney is in an on-side position. It's only if it comes off the goalkeeper where he will remain off-side, if this makes sence. It's a gamble Rooney takes. He did it at Inverness too. It's annoying, but clever.

I think Rooney would still have to move into an onside position BEFORE the ball hits a Saints player as he would be deemed to have come from an offside position.