Celtic Not Wearing Poppy's

Quite a set of contradictory opinions you have posted here!

I don't think I've been in any way contradictory. In all of my posts on this topic I have expressed the fact that the servicemen we are supposed to be remembering lost their lives fighting for what they believed was our freedom to be able to disagree with the state and to disagree with each other. Even in more modern conflicts they were sent into battle by governments that were democratically elected by the population of the UK with the aim of protecting our interests and preserving our freedoms. I believe those servicemen deserve respect and to be remembered every year. I've got my poppy and a wristband and I wear them with pride. I don't hold the same opinions as Celtic FC, or James McClean for that matter but I respect their right to hold a differing view from mine.

As I've said I believe the area and the people we should be focusing our anger at are the ones who failed to respect the right of others to have our minutes silence. It's the lack of respect for the rights of others that angers me. James McClean didn't wear a poppy on his shirt on Saturday and he made his objections known, but he stood at the side of the park (he was a sub) in silence. He should have been an example to the Celtic fans on Sunday and I think that the video evidence in the main shows that most Celtic fans respected the silence. Sadly some idiots didn't and I'm glad to see that the police appear to have arrested them.

Celtic clearly chose not to put a poppy on their strip. The Celtic Foundation donated £10,000 to the Poppy Scotland appeal, which seems hypocritical to me but I'm sure the money was welcomed. However it's also clear that no-one at Celtic prohibited their staff from wearing a poppy if they wished - their club manager wore a poppy on his jacket.

Sadly too many on here are falling into the same old trap when it comes to the Old Firm in that in their blind hatred they ultimately fall into the trap of showing the same behaviours that they would criticise in others.

Edited by Stuart Dickson

Things are improving.

A few short years ago the poppy fascists in an act of unmitigated irony would have filled 8 pages with their bleating about this nonsense.

WW1 was 100 years ago and WW2 started 75 years ago.

There's barely a veteran alive now from either campaign.

It's about time we stopped all this nonsense.

It would be at least understandable if we had shown as a nation that we had learned from these wars.

Our capers in Iraq, the Falklands and Afghanistan show we've learned nothing.

Remebrance Day has been hijacked by veterans and families of veterans from other less worthy conflicts and that is what has killed it for me.

All this Military wives and Help a Hero guff has basically stripped the entire thing of its dignity.

one of the few times that i can agree with oaksoft

we never used to have football teams wearing poppies

and we shouldn't be having a minute silence at football games either

the time for that is 11am on 11th November for those that want to

You are claiming that we are remembering servicemen that gave their lives to win us freedoms but then state you wish those who won't observe a silence to be hauled through the courts and face the full force of the law & bans from their clubs. As distasteful as you may find it, disrespecting a minute's silence at a football ground should not lead to criminal prosecution in a truly free country.

You are claiming that we are remembering servicemen that gave their lives to win us freedoms but then state you wish those who won't observe a silence to be hauled through the courts and face the full force of the law & bans from their clubs. As distasteful as you may find it, disrespecting a minute's silence at a football ground should not lead to criminal prosecution in a truly free country.

I think it's perfectly right that they should be hauled through the courts for failing to respect the right of others to observe the minutes silence. If what you are saying was taken to an end conclusion we'd be allowing racists the right to go into mosques to shout abuse. :rolleyes:

I think it's perfectly right that they should be hauled through the courts for failing to respect the right of others to observe the minutes silence. If what you are saying was taken to an end conclusion we'd be allowing racists the right to go into mosques to shout abuse. :rolleyes:

Clever riposte - almost Jesuit.