The Politics Thread

shull

2 hours ago, salmonbuddie said:

And the banks in question were Scottish in name only.

HQ;s in Scotland. Salmond wanted that protected. Salmond also believed that RBS was a Scottish Bank during the ABN Amro takeover. And you can bet your life if they hadn't both gone tits up in 2008 Alex Salmond would have used them along with North Sea Oil and Whisky as symbols of Scottish Industrial power. 

Freshly installed as First Minister of Scotland in May 2007, he wrote to Goodwin. ‘Dear Fred,’ he began, on Government-headed paper. ‘I want you to know I am watching events on the ABN front closely. It is in Scottish interests for RBS to be successful and I would like to offer any assistance my office can provide. Good luck with the bid.’

Salmond signed off with a flourish: ‘Yours for Scotland, Alex.’

I should also add this one for comedy effect. Big Alex thinks he could have single handedly saved the world from the banking crash in 2008

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/13190016.Salmond_s_RBS_claim_is_ridiculed_by_opponents/

Edited by Stuart Dickson

1 hour ago, Stuart Dickson said:

HQ;s in Scotland. Salmond wanted that protected. Salmond also believed that RBS was a Scottish Bank during the ABN Amro takeover. And you can bet your life if they hadn't both gone tits up in 2008 Alex Salmond would have used them along with North Sea Oil and Whisky as symbols of Scottish Industrial power. 

I should also add this one for comedy effect. Big Alex thinks he could have single handedly saved the world from the banking crash in 2008

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/13190016.Salmond_s_RBS_claim_is_ridiculed_by_opponents/

In that article he specifically says he is not claiming he would have saved the world.

It's already been shown in other threads that Scotland wouldn't have been liable for all of the debts of those banks. If they would have been, then, as things stood, the UK would have been responsible and had to pay all their debts - they weren't and didn't. Do you think people have forgotten this fact and that you can recycle your shit after a certain period of time without anyone noticing?

Realised you've made a c**t of yourself again?

(That really does fit in reply to just about every one to his posts, doesn't it? The experiment is working out well so far.)

Shown where.? Provide your proof or is this you thinking Scottish sales of premium bonds covered it. :rolleyes:

22 minutes ago, Slartibartfast said:

Well, that was easy. You just can't resist reading my posts, can you? I said you were reading them and you've proved me right. You're probably reading Tony's as well, even though you claim to be ignoring him too.

This information was posted on other threads a few years ago when you first started ranting about it, but here is some of it again. You can go and educate yourself afterwards, starting with learning how to use Google.

http://www.newstatesman.com/2010/12/financial-british-money-fed

http://m.huffpost.com/uk/entry/4895234.html?edition=uk

Oh dear, you'll need to do better than that. A Huffington Post article by the Chief Executive of the Nationalist Propaganda machine and a New Statesman article that doesn't say anything like what you want it to say. :rolleyes:

Tell me, what happened to Ireland when their banks failed? How much are the Irish taxpayers having to pay annually to service the bail out debt from foreign countries like the UK? 

Tell me, what happened to Iceland when their banks failed? How much are the Icelandic taxpayers having to pay annually to cover the consequences of what they did? 

I can't wait to hear your explanation. :rolleyes: 

As I said, you can go and educate yourself. It was all posted on here before, you don't even have to look anywhere else.

I will say one thing though, trying to use Iceland, who let their banks fail, as an example of countries having to bailout their own banks is rather silly, is it not?

Oh dear. If only you'd checked the link from Ireland one minute earlier it might have saved you from yet another embarrassing mistake. Silly Slarti

Guest TPAFKATS

Iceland where they jailed their bankers for causing the banking crash?
Iceland where the gov gave the money to the citizens who spent it boasting their economy.

Of course the UK knows better. We let the bankers off and gave the money to the banks who er, shuffled it about each other.

Sent fae ma fone

Iceland where the gov gave the money to the citizens who spent it boasting their economy.

Of course the UK knows better. We let the bankers off and gave the money to the banks who er, shuffled it about each other.

Sent fae ma fone

Did they? Did they give the cash to their people? Not according to the Icelandic courts. Indeed if you read the link the Icelandic government have repaid the UK and Dutch Governments in full. That's FACT not some shite theory made up by the Natsi Head Of Propaganda.

Ireland are still f**ked. An Independent Scotland would have been even worse off, paying foreign governments for their "goodwill"

9 hours ago, tony soprano said:

Sent fae ma fone

The still had bonuses to pay after all. .

7 hours ago, Stuart Dickson said:

Did they? Did they give the cash to their people? Not according to the Icelandic courts. Indeed if you read the link the Icelandic government have repaid the UK and Dutch Governments in full. That's FACT not some shite theory made up by the Natsi Head Of Propaganda.

Ireland are still f**ked. An Independent Scotland would have been even worse off, paying foreign governments for their "goodwill"

If Iceland have been able to pay off their entire debts within 8 years IN FULL to two seperate countries then by definition their debt couldnt possibly have been that high compared to the UK for example.

5 hours ago, cockles1987 said:

Looks like I'll have to answer it myself.

UK - $2 573 825 237 662 Total National Debt (Public Debt Clock)

Ireland - $247 302 265 561Total National Debt (Public Debt Clock)

Iceland - $12 420 922 244 Total National Debt (Public Debt Clock)

Now I know these are estimated figures. Sort of puts things in another perspective that someone that said he's got me on ignore will be fuming about.

Just like the UK governments oil price predictions/forecasts he conveniently forgets were higher than the Scottish Governments before the 2014 referendum. emoji23.png

That will explain why Iceland have been able to clear their debts while the UK is still struggling to end the deficit.

1 hour ago, oaksoft said:

If Iceland have been able to pay off their entire debts within 8 years IN FULL to two seperate countries then by definition their debt couldnt possibly have been that high compared to the UK for example.

Are you struggling with the article? It paid off the debts from the Icelandic Banking Collapse in full to the UK and to the Dutch. Their banks debt was indeed not as high as that of HBOS or RBS, RBS were the 5th biggest bank in the world when they had their SNP supported financial meltdown - a true modern day Darien Scheme I suppose you could call it. If you also read the article you will find that the total amount of bail out as a percentage of GDP in the UK was actually less than 7%, Germany was around 10%, Ireland - that country Alex Salmond thought we could be as good as, 37.3%. It's probably just as well RBS got rid of Alex Salmond as an economist. Can you imagine how much greater the scale their financial meltdown would have been with that turd in charge of policy at the bank. :rolleyes: 

Edited by Stuart Dickson

Are you struggling with the article? It paid off the debts from the Icelandic Banking Collapse in full to the UK and to the Dutch. Their banks debt was indeed not as high as that of HBOS or RBS, RBS were the 5th biggest bank in the world when they had their SNP supported financial meltdown - a true modern day Darien Scheme I suppose you could call it. If you also read the article you will find that the total amount of bail out as a percentage of GDP in the UK was actually less than 7%, Germany was around 10%, Ireland - that country Alex Salmond thought we could be as good as, 37.3%. It's probably just as well RBS got rid of Alex Salmond as an economist. Can you imagine how much greater the scale their financial meltdown would have been with that turd in charge of policy at the bank. :rolleyes: 

I am struggling to understand why one minute you are warning us we could be the next Iceland and the next you are admitting that their economic woes are tiny in comparison to the UK.

You know I am beginning to think you have no idea what you are talking about.

On 19/07/2016 at 2:32 AM, oaksoft said:

I am struggling to understand why one minute you are warning us we could be the next Iceland and the next you are admitting that their economic woes are tiny in comparison to the UK.

You know I am beginning to think you have no idea what you are talking about.

Eh? Who said Icelands problems were tiny? Iceland is the middle of yet another recession, while the UK just continues to advance.

Capture.PNG

I should also point out that Icelandic Government Debt as a % of GDP is almost exactly the same as the UK figure - however the big difference is in interest paid on this debt,. In the UK a 10 Yr Government issued bond will yield 0.84%, in Iceland a 10 Yr Government Issued bond will yield an incredible 6.15% - meaning that not only is the Icelandic economy crippled with National Debt, it's also crippled by the rate of interest paid on that debt. 

You know what Oaksoft - It's patently obvious you haven't got a clue what you are talking about. :rolleyes: 

Edited by Stuart Dickson

6 minutes ago, Stuart Dickson said:

Eh? Who said Icelands problems were tiny? Iceland is the middle of yet another recession, while the UK just continues to advance. It's patently obvious you haven't got a clue what you are talking about. :rolleyes: 

Capture.PNG

Seriously, you need to get a life.

:lol:

On topic again - after the Forth Road Bridge catastrophe which cut Fifers off from civilisation because of poor maintenance on the bridge through under funding by the Scottish Government, now we discover that our second most important motorway is unsafe due to a criminal lack of maintenance, again caused by under funding of the road network by our SNP Government. And to think Nicola Sturgeon promoted the fanny responsible to run the Finances of the nation too.......

f**king hopeless

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/crash-barriers-m8-motorway-crumbling-8459436#bH5qPCYzRViHCHIx.97

4 minutes ago, Stuart Dickson said:

On topic again - after the Forth Road Bridge catastrophe which cut Fifers off from civilisation because of poor maintenance on the bridge through under funding by the Scottish Government, now we discover that our second most important motorway is unsafe due to a criminal lack of maintenance, again caused by under funding of the road network by our SNP Government. And to think Nicola Sturgeon promoted the fanny responsible to run the Finances of the nation too.......

f**king hopeless

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/crash-barriers-m8-motorway-crumbling-8459436#bH5qPCYzRViHCHIx.97

Hard to disagree that they need upgrading. How should the work be funded?

Hard to disagree that they need upgrading. How should the work be funded?

Oh that's easy. It cost £414m to build the Scottish Parliament and £72m per annum to run it. Scrap the parish council stuffed with inept politicians and we could fix every barrier and pothole without any trouble at all.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/scotland/6990218/Scottish-Parliament-costs-taxpayers-72-million-per-year.html

In yesterdays news it was reported that so far the Scottish Parliament review into why the Edinburgh Tram project was so expensive has cost £3m so far. We all know why it was so expensive. Inept politicians planned this f**k up, inept politicians kept changing the plans and inept politicians were looking after their own self interest rather than the needs of Edinburgh. That continues with political chances screwing the public purse for even more in wages and expenses looking into the whole f**king mess.

Oh that's easy. It cost £414m to build the Scottish Parliament and £72m per annum to run it. Scrap the parish council stuffed with inept politicians and we could fix every barrier and pothole without any trouble at all.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/scotland/6990218/Scottish-Parliament-costs-taxpayers-72-million-per-year.html

In yesterdays news it was reported that so far the Scottish Parliament review into why the Edinburgh Tram project was so expensive has cost £3m so far. We all know why it was so expensive. Inept politicians planned this f**k up, inept politicians kept changing the plans and inept politicians were looking after their own self interest rather than the needs of Edinburgh. That continues with political chances screwing the public purse for even more in wages and expenses looking into the whole f**king mess.

You want us to completely ignore the democratic wishes of the people of Scotland who voted to have a Holyrood parliament by shutting the place down?

That is your big plan is it?

You want us to completely ignore the democratic wishes of the people of Scotland who voted to have a Holyrood parliament by shutting the place down?

That is your big plan is it?

Perhaps we should put it to a referendum at a cost of £millions just to find out people would rather spend money on education, health and road safety than give it to greedy self serving politicians and their not so civil servants

Why not just give everyone who loses a job by not renewing Trident £1m each? If that was 30,000 people we'd still be £175bn better off with money to spare to replace motorway barriers due for replacement 13 years before the SNP got into power.