The Politics Thread

shull

Guest TPAFKATS
I like to study the money markets during my tea break

This is brilliant. If only there was a way to get this to appear everytime the troll posts, instead of his usual nonsense...

Sent fae ma fone

Guest TPAFKATS

BTW, decades of underinvestment in Scotland's transport infrastructure is the cause of our motorway problems.
In the interests clarity -
The parliament at Holyrood has managed to compete the M74, are completing the M8, duelling the A9, giving Aberdeen a bypass and building a new bridge over the forth.

Sent fae ma fone

30 minutes ago, tony soprano said:

This is brilliant. If only there was a way to get this to appear everytime the troll posts, instead of his usual nonsense...

Sent fae ma fone

Ach, come on, be fair! What else is the guy supposed to do if none of his workmates talk to him in the canteen?

4 hours ago, salmonbuddie said:

Why not just give everyone who loses a job by not renewing Trident £1m each? If that was 30,000 people we'd still be £175bn better off with money to spare to replace motorway barriers due for replacement 13 years before the SNP got into power.

Typical subsidy junkie Nationalist wanting an even bigger subsidy from the rest of the UK...:rolleyes: 

3 hours ago, tony soprano said:

BTW, decades of underinvestment in Scotland's transport infrastructure is the cause of our motorway problems.
In the interests clarity -
The parliament at Holyrood has managed to compete the M74, are completing the M8, duelling the A9, giving Aberdeen a bypass and building a new bridge over the forth.

Sent fae ma fone

M74 project -  The project, initially expected to cost £444 million, ran considerably over-budget at £692 million

That £248million that was wasted could have seen all the barriers replaced on the M8 motorway. Imagine promoting the wanker responsible to Finance Secretary. If he can't control his pocket money how the f**k is he supposed to run the entire national budget. :rolleyes: 

50 minutes ago, cockles1987 said:

£248 million pfft.

The new Westminster Chancellor can beat that.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2012/feb/10/mod-criticised-6bn-overspend-projects

Dear oh dear. Did you read the article? Projects approved in 2008 in overspend. - in 2008 Labour were in government and the defence secretary was John Hutton. The report goes on to quote Margaret Hodge, the Labour Chairperson of the PAC saying that recent defence projects (the article was written 2012 when Hammond was Defence Secretary) were showing significantly lower cost increases. 

Silly, stupid Coward. Don't post again. Give your foot time to recover from yet another self shooting.....:rolleyes: 

Edited by Stuart Dickson

1 hour ago, Stuart Dickson said:

Typical subsidy junkie Nationalist wanting an even bigger subsidy from the rest of the UK...:rolleyes: 

Aye, SNP Baaaaaad, we know. Now address the issues raised instead of deflecting.

1 hour ago, salmonbuddie said:

Aye, SNP Baaaaaad, we know. Now address the issues raised instead of deflecting.

Huh? What am I supposed to be deflecting? 

Oaksoft asked me how I propose to raise the money to fix crash barriers on the M8. I suggested closing the Scottish Parliament and ridding ourselves of £72m+ per annum worth of talentless, useless, greedy, self serving politicians and their band of hopeless civil servants. Since then it's transpired that the SNP Government overspent on the M74 extention by a massive £248m, and the news yesterday and today has been all about the fact that the Scottish Government has given the very same kind of people responsible for overspends on the M74 a massive £3.7m to look into why the Edinburgh Trams project overspent so massively as well, whilst also considering going back to that project to extend the already unprofitable service to take in parts of Leith. 

If our Scottish Government stopped pissing money away and actually proved itself competent, there would never have been an issue with crash barriers on the M8 motorway and Scottish lives wouldn't be being put at risk every single minute of every single day. 

Guest TPAFKATS

Ffs Dickson shoots himself in the foot by not realising that the original cost was from years before the project started.
The snp brought it in under budget.
What a thicko, Dicko!

Sent fae ma fone

12 minutes ago, tony soprano said:

Ffs Dickson shoots himself in the foot by not realising that the original cost was from years before the project started.
The snp brought it in under budget.
What a thicko, Dicko!

Sent fae ma fone

I am indeed wrong. It transpires I underestimated the extent of the overspend.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-13931242

It's actually THREE TIMES the original budget. The SNP are a f**king joke. 

And just to quote the relevant part of the article

The estimated cost of the project was put at £177m in 1999, increasing to £250m in 2003 and rising to £445m by the time the contract was awarded in February 2008.

Ultimately it cost £692m. 

Edited by Stuart Dickson

Guest TPAFKATS

The article quoted by Dicko states 'the extension was completed between £15m and £20m under budget.'

Ffs, Dicko take a break before you have a breakdown.

Sent fae ma fone

14 minutes ago, tony soprano said:

The article quoted by Dicko states 'the extension was completed between £15m and £20m under budget.'

Ffs, Dicko take a break before you have a breakdown.

Sent fae ma fone

Said Alex Neil, without any evidence to back it up. As the article says when the SNP awarded the contract in 2008 it was to cost £445m, it eventually cost £692m. We all know the SNP are incapable when it comes to sums and to the economy. We can all see if from the current deficit. :rolleyes: 

1 minute ago, cockles1987 said:

How did I shoot myself in the foot. I showed a story that linked the current Chancellor contributed to a larger overspend than the Scottish finance minister did. Sorry if I didn't explain it clearly for you but as you've written previously that you had me on ignore, I was only posting for the grown ups.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/cost-navys-two-new-aircraft-2677632#0JIRTIKbDUVd034Z.97

Oops not another one.

Gordon Browns project. That's both of your feet f**ked now. You really should give up. :rolleyes: 

1 hour ago, Slartibartfast said:

The last two sentences of your article are

Audit Scotland put the total bill for the project, including land purchases, at £692m by June 2008.

It is thought that the final cost will be lower than this estimate.

I'll let you try and figure out if £692m is more or less than £692m.

£445m was the estimated price for the actual building of the road, not including land purchases, and it came in at less than that - and ahead of schedule.

Realised you've made a c**t of yourself again?

Audit Scotland put the final figure at £692m

Transport Scotland put the final figure at £657m - they also say that the initial contract awarded to Interlink M74 Joint Venture was for £445m

Either way it was Scotlands most expensive road ever and the only people who claim it came in under budget are all from the SNP - strange that isn't it :rolleyes: Oh and they also say that initial figures for the road should be discounted because that project was sponsored by Glasgow City Council, and the one built - identical in route and plan - was sponsored by the Scottish Government. I presume the point being that the Scottish Government is better at wasting money that Glasgow City Council. :rolleyes: 

It's also worth noting that once the M74 was signed off by the Scottish Government and opened it lasted trouble free for less than one year before emergency roadworks were required on the outside lanes because it was sinking. 

If we go for  Referendum and decide to leave the UK and rejoin  the Eurozone we will be forced to take on the Euro as currency. 

Also pay our membership fee, now how much will that be, can we really afford it? Wee nippy think you better think again, you're not talking for all of Scotland

Politicians, as a rule, say they will represent the entire constituency/nation in their acceptance speeches when they're elected, it's something I filter out. It's not limited to one party or even this country 'cos I've heard Autralian/US politicians make the same platitudes. Only the naïve would expect elected politicians not to pursue manifesto policies.  

That will explain why Iceland have been able to clear their debts while the UK is still struggling to end the deficit.

Don't be daft, we've been deficit free since last year. Or was it the year before. Or maybe the one before that. [emoji15]

Hard to disagree that they need upgrading. How should the work be funded?

Why not just give everyone who loses a job by not renewing Trident £1m each? If that was 30,000 people we'd still be £175bn better off with money to spare to replace motorway barriers due for replacement 13 years before the SNP got into power.

Wait till you read the updated version. I like to study the money markets during my tea break

What do you do during working hours, post on BAWA ?

47 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Idol man, until I get into the Bistro. Before anyone jumps in have not signed on currently living off my rainy day fund.

Why are you not signing on?

If you're due any money take it.

£300 a month buys some essentials, like vodka, and continues to go towards your state pension.

3 hours ago, faraway saint said:

I'm off today, Friday is Saturday over here, can I post as much as I like or do I need permission for a certain amount? :lol:

Permission not grantit. 

LOG OFF