The Lawn Tennis Thread

shull

1 hour ago, ianmac said:

Shapovalov was ranked 10th in the world six months ago before getting injured, but has now recovered and is making his way back again, so I think it is a bit much to imply he is a complete numpty.

This was my first impression of Shapovalov(BELOW), way back in 2017 mate so I saw he had something then and this was a few years before he lost in the semi's at Wimbledon to Djokovic. 

On 6/21/2017 at 6:45 PM, faraway saint said:

Tsonga oot today as well, seeded no5.

Great match on right now, Berdych V Shapovalov, the young guy who hit the umpire in the eye in the Davis cup.

Superb tennis.

Andy has just announced he's looking to bow out at the Olympics great timing,  a possible gold medal and 2 major titles to end a fantastic career 20 yrs at the top table of tennis...  Thinking of a monument in the same mould as Sir Walter Scott's in Edinburgh,  maybe near Brodie Park tennis courts as I suggested it.

Could maybe start a crowd fund 

1 hour ago, elvis said:

He's got absolutely no chance of winning any kind of medal at t.he Olympics he will do his usual and get papped out in the first or second round .It's a shame.

Aye, it's seriously went downhill in the last few months.

Quite why, or how, is a mystery as I'm sure Murray has been searching for the answers as his competitive nature will be making him feel as bad as he's ever felt on a tennis court.

Never mind, unlikely we'll see a Scottish tennis player get even close to his achievements. 

I'll just concentrate on Draper. :thumbs2

5 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Murray beats Goffin at Indian Wells where he's had success over the years. :thumbs2

I watched this match last night and I though Murray played very well.

Mind you, he seems to have the Indian sign over Goffin. Murray has never lost a single set, never mind a match, to Goffin,  the commentator said last night.

Edited by ianmac

5 hours ago, ianmac said:

Mind you, he seems to have the Indian sign over Goffin. Murray has never lost a single set, never mind a match, to Goffin,  the commentator said last night.

That's some record as they must have crossed swords over the years. 

On 3/7/2024 at 12:22 PM, ianmac said:

Murray scheduled to be on about 8:15 tonight, not sure if I'll (be allowed) watch. :rolleyes:

6 hours ago, ianmac said:

My wife is a tennis fan, so I am sure to be watching.

Murray loses the first set on a tie break.

Wasn't watching, only on Bet 365, looked, overall, Murray was slightly struggling to hold serve while Rublev was holding slightly easier.

Tuned in now, Rublev 2-1, Murray to serve.

Not a lot in it. 

2 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Never noticed that? :blink:

If I remember correctly, he had Rublev serving 0-40 down in one of the games towards the end of the first set and Murray could not get the  break.

Looks like curtains now.....

4 minutes ago, ianmac said:

If I remember correctly, he had Rublev serving 0-40 down in one of the games towards the end of the first set and Murray could not get the  break.

1-6 in the 2nd, most games were close but, in the end, Rublev had too much and consistently was the better player.

A good match and no disgrace TBH. 

6 minutes ago, ianmac said:

Can't see any MATCH points as it was 6-5 to Murray and Rublev won the 12 game comfortably.