Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
Bud the Baker

Long Ball Game

Recommended Posts


12 hours ago, Bud the Baker said:

Long ball football is great if the ball actually goes towards its intended targeted. In the case of Accies, Livi and ourselves unfortunately it is more of a "aimless punt" game that is deployed just to get the ball up the pitch and away from the box.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Kemp said:

Long ball football is great if the ball actually goes towards its intended targeted. In the case of Accies, Livi and ourselves unfortunately it is more of a "aimless punt" game that is deployed just to get the ball up the pitch and away from the box.

More often "playing the correct way" by teams at our level leads to passing ourselves into more and more trouble until we/they are required to make that "aimless punt".

The long ball game is about trading %Possession into loose possession/opportunities in the attacking third of the pitch - it's about having a target man and players who will support him and either turn the opportunities into attempts on goal or force the opposition into making a mistake.

There comes a skill level where the passing game becomes more effective but I think we are below that level - I am encouraged that we are in the Top 25 in Europe in terms of Pass Length and trust OK/GM will move us in the right direction in the coming season.

********************

The print article was longer and endorsed some of the points I've made above. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DougJamie said:

Having endured the Belgium game it seems the Scottish way

Hot potato football. Defenders that are just supposed to break down the opposition moves, tackle and punt it to the "footballers" in the team or out the park . . .

IF we are going to change our style, we will need players who can both "play" and who are faster in working moves and supporting each other...

Any Liverpool or Man City Players want first team football in Scotland??????????

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Sweeper07 said:

Hot potato football. Defenders that are just supposed to break down the opposition moves, tackle and punt it to the "footballers" in the team or out the park . . .

IF we are going to change our style, we will need players who can both "play" and who are faster in working moves and supporting each other...

Any Liverpool or Man City Players want first team football in Scotland??????????

TBH, if we tried to do what Man City do it would have been 10-0. We simply dont have the players who can move never mind pass.......

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, DougJamie said:

TBH, if we tried to do what Man City do it would have been 10-0. We simply dont have the players who can move never mind pass...….

That is the point - time to transform the squad to play to fast moving counter football... a couple of speed merchant clinical finishers and some slicker midfielders and we move up a number of place in the league . . .

We were far too predictable last season. Managed to tighten up and created some chances - but time to kick-on further IMHO  :ninja

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Sweeper07 said:

Hot potato football. Defenders that are just supposed to break down the opposition moves, tackle and punt it to the "footballers" in the team or out the park . . .

IF we are going to change our style, we will need players who can both "play" and who are faster in working moves and supporting each other...

Any Liverpool or Man City Players want first team football in Scotland??????????

That is the point, footballers of that standard are not readily available on our budget.

At international level we've been going downhill since Andy Roxbourgh took over 30-odd years ago, even though the WC/Euros have expanded we still don't make the finals, at club level we have regressed too as we've pursued this style of football. 

The long ball game is caricatured as brainless but like I said it's comes down to whether or not a team is more likely to score from a 20-odd pass move or a more direct route - at our level I would say yes, I would class Danny Mullen goals against Livi & Dundee Utd. as coming from long balls. 

Like I said it's the way to go & OK/GM are the guys to take us there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Sweeper07 said:

That is the point - time to transform the squad to play to fast moving counter football... a couple of speed merchant clinical finishers and some slicker midfielders and we move up a number of place in the league . . .

We were far too predictable last season. Managed to tighten up and created some chances - but time to kick-on further IMHO  :ninja

Mate, I will have a pint of what your having :guinness

 

The Scottish game has no interest in transforming as the total lack in grassroots shows, The SFA appoint McKay, previously Henry McLeish, before that Eddies think tank All said the same thing , the grand plans, and yet we still allow Killie, Livi and Accies to play on plastic pitches.

Belgium were shite 15 years ago, Iceland were a minnow yet they invested and after the pain came the gain  

The SFA is skint even when they eventually buy Hampden they will have £20m liability and no money to develop it . They certainly will have no money for Manky Malky to do his OF bit................... As long as Celtic / Sevco are happy they dont give a stuff

Long Ball is useful- IF you have a great big CF who can hold the ball. We have Olly Burke/ Stevie Naismith or Olly McBurnie. So the long ball is just kicking the ball away Knowing its just going to come back......

Lets see how the NEW Killie Manager sets them up,

 

Bring back Danny Lennon, he did try to play football at least .........................

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

That is the point, footballers of that standard are not readily available on our budget.

At international level we've been going downhill since Andy Roxbourgh took over 30-odd years ago, even though the WC/Euros have expanded we still don't make the finals, at club level we have regressed too as we've pursued this style of football. 

The long ball game is caricatured as brainless but like I said it's comes down to whether or not a team is more likely to score from a 20-odd pass move or a more direct route - at our level I would say yes, I would class Danny Mullen goals against Livi & Dundee Utd. as coming from long balls. 

Like I said it's the way to go & OK/GM are the guys to take us there.

I am not knocking where we are at - I agree with you. (Baird's long ball missed by Cooke, was taken by Mullen and scored for our equaliser)

My dream of Liverpool Man City players was not meant to be taken seriously - but I do believe that other teams will bring on their youth in football terms way better than Scottish teams do. (The Dutch, English or Italians and many others for example)

Funny thing is that Popescu and Muzek were not too dissimilar from Scottish defenders...

So can we get some in while they are younger AND step up improvements in our youth coaching too?

Can we transition to a team that is less predictable, and more lethal ? I suspect we all hope we can.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, DougJamie said:

Mate, I will have a pint of what your having :guinness

The Scottish game has no interest in transforming as the total lack in grassroots shows, The SFA appoint McKay, previously Henry McLeish, before that Eddies think tank All said the same thing , the grand plans, and yet we still allow Killie, Livi and Accies to play on plastic pitches.

Belgium were shite 15 years ago, Iceland were a minnow yet they invested and after the pain came the gain  

The SFA is skint even when they eventually buy Hampden they will have £20m liability and no money to develop it . They certainly will have no money for Manky Malky to do his OF bit................... As long as Celtic / Sevco are happy they dont give a stuff

Long Ball is useful- IF you have a great big CF who can hold the ball. We have Olly Burke/ Stevie Naismith or Olly McBurnie. So the long ball is just kicking the ball away Knowing its just going to come back......

Lets see how the NEW Killie Manager sets them up,

Bring back Danny Lennon, he did try to play football at least .........................

It is no excuse to say the SFA won't fix things - we can improve as a club and set new standards in Scotland.

I am not suggesting that this is easy or that it can be done overnight - but the BOD must plan strategically where they can take us in 5, 10, 15 years. It will not be plain sailing and is highly unlikely to be uninterrupted progress, but if the bulk of this time permits us to progress, then they have done an magnificent job... our fan's might even be pleased for some of it...

The SFA needs overhauled and the 2 ugly sisters should be sent away to play in some other league (Europe or Wales, who cares)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Sweeper07 said:

It is no excuse to say the SFA won't fix things - we can improve as a club and set new standards in Scotland.

I am not suggesting that this is easy or that it can be done overnight - but the BOD must plan strategically where they can take us in 5, 10, 15 years. It will not be plain sailing and is highly unlikely to be uninterrupted progress, but if the bulk of this time permits us to progress, then they have done an magnificent job... our fan's might even be pleased for some of it...

The SFA needs overhauled and the 2 ugly sisters should be sent away to play in some other league (Europe or Wales, who cares)

Ok above is your wish list- add to that Climate Change and all bad people sent to another planet

Its not an excuse is reality.

Celtic kick the ball away in Europe- why - because they are technically inferior - yet they buy players that kick the ball away

So unless our BOD spend the £500 M just like Pep, I would not expect any great changes from our Summer 19 recruitment Drive 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...