2026 Commonwealth games

beyond our ken

11 hours ago, Slarti said:

I've never understood this argument. While it may bring in more than it costs, it's mainly taxpayers' money that is going out and mainly private businesses in the localities that are raking it back in. It probably won't benefit the majority of individuals in the country at all. It's the same argument that's used for the royal family which, to me, suffers from the same problem.

I think, historically, the Commonwealth Games tends to be a loss maker, though could be wrong on that.

The legacy facilities are a massive boon 

look at the ahoy and the emirates

and adding stands to an existing venue with the intention of later using them elsewhere is sound

ine of the big football tourneys did that as well as London 2012

54 minutes ago, beyond our ken said:

Victoria proposed all new venues instead of utilising or adapting what is already in place around Melbourne 

Yes, I believe their idea was to utilise the whole state rather than centre it in Melbourne therefore adding considerably to their costs and diluting potential benefit. There is a reason these events are usually kept in a 'tighter' geographical location. Single sport events are slightly different which is why the World Cup works where infrastructure just needs a revamp rather than a new build. 

The legacy facilities are a massive boon 
look at the ahoy and the emirates
and adding stands to an existing venue with the intention of later using them elsewhere is sound
ine of the big football tourneys did that as well as London 2012

So you're saying that London got lots of "benefits" while the whole country contributed to them?

If organisations or private firms want to spend their own money and get the future benefits then wire in but if public money is being used there should be benefit for the general public.

18 hours ago, faraway saint said:

While it would be a considerable outlay wouldn't this be recouped? 

“Since Victoria state was appointed host last April, the budget for the games has ballooned to more than A$6 billion (US$4 billion) from an original A$2.6 billion – and the costs would be double the estimated economic benefits to the state.”

“The cost of this is at least A$6 billion ... I simply will not spend that on a 12-day sporting event”

Daniel Andrews, Victorian state premier

“You’ve made your best estimates … and you go and do the work in a pretty volatile economic climate and you get actuals … Do you push on and deliver this at any cost? Take your money out of hospitals and schools and roads, out of all manner of different things to pay for it, or do you make the decision we’ve announced today?” he said.“

https://amp.scmp.com/week-asia/politics/article/3228258/victoria-states-shock-axing-commonwealth-games-cheered-australia-living-costs-surge

4 hours ago, Albanian Buddy said:

“Since Victoria state was appointed host last April, the budget for the games has ballooned to more than A$6 billion (US$4 billion) from an original A$2.6 billion – and the costs would be double the estimated economic benefits to the state.”

“The cost of this is at least A$6 billion ... I simply will not spend that on a 12-day sporting event”

Daniel Andrews, Victorian state premier

“You’ve made your best estimates … and you go and do the work in a pretty volatile economic climate and you get actuals … Do you push on and deliver this at any cost? Take your money out of hospitals and schools and roads, out of all manner of different things to pay for it, or do you make the decision we’ve announced today?” he said.“

https://amp.scmp.com/week-asia/politics/article/3228258/victoria-states-shock-axing-commonwealth-games-cheered-australia-living-costs-surge

Got almost the same message from two friends who live in Australia and they indicated this is as much political as financial.

They both said Andrews is pandering to the anti Commenwealth brigade, taking advantage of the cost of living situation and the figures seem to be being questioned by many. 

Anyhow, I really don't give a hoot, Australia's way too far away for me to get excited about anything they decide.  

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-07-19/commonwealth-games-vp-challenges-victorian-decision-730/102622720

https://www.skynews.com.au/opinion/andrew-bolt/daniel-andrews-pulled-the-wool-over-everyones-eyes-with-commonwealth-games-axing/video/0e73f0c74cc94167a27a9fd3c561de5e

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2023/jul/20/daniel-andrews-7bn-commonwealth-games-price-tag-doesnt-add-up-expert-says

Edited by faraway saint