Grangemouth no more?

beyond our ken

Just now, faraway saint said:

40 years too late. 🤣🤣🤣

You're funny. 

The report was published in 1974.

The independence referendum took place in 2014. 

2014 - 1974 = 40. 

I suppose the late 70s, early 80s wouldn't have been too late. My knowledge of oil fields is limited to what I have read about the Peak Oil phenomenon, but essentially when an oil field has first been drilled it's much cheaper to extract the oil. As it gets depleted it becomes more expensive to extract. Just Googled and voila:

Oil and gas fields generally have a lifespan ranging from 15 to 30 years, from first oil to abandonment. Production can last 50 years or more for the largest deposits. Deepwater fields, however, are operated just five to ten years due the very high extraction costs.

Source: https://www.planete-energies.com/en/media/article/life-cycle-oil-and-gas-fields#

Also, it's usually the oil fields that are cheapest to exploit that are drilled first. In other words, the best money was made in the 1970s and 1980s. We were robbed. And some utter fools actually think that's a good thing and respect the robber! Such folk can usually be found on the slopes of Ibrox. :wink: 

2 hours ago, W6er said:

2014 - 1974 = 40. 

I suppose the late 70s, early 80s wouldn't have been too late. My knowledge of oil fields is limited to what I have read about the Peak Oil phenomenon, but essentially when an oil field has first been drilled it's much cheaper to extract the oil. As it gets depleted it becomes more expensive to extract. Just Googled and voila:

Source: https://www.planete-energies.com/en/media/article/life-cycle-oil-and-gas-fields#

Also, it's usually the oil fields that are cheapest to exploit that are drilled first. In other words, the best money was made in the 1970s and 1980s. We were robbed. And some utter fools actually think that's a good thing and respect the robber! Such folk can usually be found on the slopes of Ibrox. :wink: 

Let me try to explain why I was pissing myself at your suggestion that a referendum was 40 years too late.

40 years ago nationalism was generally an idea reserved for kilt wearing crofters.

No one in their right mind would have suggested a referendum at that point as it would have fell on its arse.

As for your usual attempt to discredit something by using an extreme, a tactic you used recently when you failed to register the damage, hurt and danger of "free speech" using Korea as an example, well maybe you should have a wee think before running around the internet for utter shite to prove a point. 

Edited by faraway saint

2 hours ago, W6er said:

2014 - 1974 = 40. 

You should focus on the fact that a referendum in the early-mid 70s would have had a very good chance as support for independence was on the rise and the truth about the value of the offshore reserves would have swung the vote further towards "leave".  Maybe not enough to secure independence at that point, yet that knowledge would have stoked support for independence given the behaviour of the Tories, who having successfully divided and conquered went on to ride a wave of support built on the money raised from oil.

Successive westminster governments squandered the alternative vehicles for getting decent, but somewhat lesser, taxpayer benefit from the proceeds by  dismantling BNOC and selling off BP.

I am all in favour of independence, but I'd probably never have got to this point had it not been for Westminster's serial squandering and selling-off of national assets that made money for the taxpayer alongside the criminal failure to set up a national wealth fund based on the oil revenue.  The money was used to prop up governments instead of securing our future and that of our children

There is still enough out there to gove Scotland a decent pot to build on and my own belief is that we would see a steady migration of busineses from across the UK once Scotland was, in some form, back in the European fold.