Sin Bin Weather Thread

faraway saint

43 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Just looked out and I'm pleasantly surprised no signs of frost/ice on the cars.

Also dry.

Not sure how cold it is but it'll not be warm.

Noticed yesterday Ant & Dec are staying at the hotel I was at just 3 weeks ago.

Bet they're disappointed they missed me. 

Must look closer, steady drizzle and a lovely 2 deg.

Have I mentioned the winter is shite? 👎

1 hour ago, faraway saint said:

Just looked out and I'm pleasantly surprised no signs of frost/ice on the cars.

Also dry.

Not sure how cold it is but it'll not be warm.

Noticed yesterday Ant & Dec are staying at the hotel I was at just 3 weeks ago.

Bet they're disappointed they missed me. 

Currently on Tiree and for the first time in my memory(over 50 years) having to scrape ice off the car windows, our cottage is right by the shore so the salt air usually takes care of it.

Today is meant to be chilly but dry.

Just saw the forecast for tonight/early tomorrow morning, temperatures to drop considerably.

Need to try to pull out the fridge when I get home tonight, it's working too hard and is icing up at the back and even two small bottles of water started to ice up.

It's well boxed in, no wiggle room on either side, got to come straight out.

Hope it's worth the effort and there's something obvious lurking at the back. :(

45 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Looks like the frost/ice has returned as the cars are looking like they'll need scraped.

Never mind, it's Friday, early finish and we're almost half way through the month already.

I did notice it was slightly brighter as I left work last night.

Aye, -3 deg this morning, windows required scraping and quite a few banks of fog made it a slower drive than normal. 

On 1/10/2024 at 8:19 AM, WeeBud said:

Currently on Tiree and for the first time in my memory(over 50 years) having to scrape ice off the car windows, our cottage is right by the shore so the salt air usually takes care of it.

Still on Tiree?

Beautiful morning here, although frosty.

One of my workmates has had the flu this week and it hit me yesterday afternoon, shivering, aching joints and a honking bad headache.

As we've got people coming over tonight I hammered the flu capsules, went to bed with the electric blanket full on and slept it off.

Still got a cough but, hopefully, passed the worst. 

3 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Still on Tiree?

Beautiful morning here, although frosty.

One of my workmates has had the flu this week and it hit me yesterday afternoon, shivering, aching joints and a honking bad headache.

As we've got people coming over tonight I hammered the flu capsules, went to bed with the electric blanket full on and slept it off.

Still got a cough but, hopefully, passed the worst. 

Aye, still here FS and staying on until Thursday…..weather taken a wee turn from the dry, bright and sunny last 7 days to a wee bit overcast with a wind running in from the North 💨 🥶.

Plenty of Flu and Colds about but managed to evade them so far, seems to be lingering with people longer than normal. Hope you’re back to feeling better soon.

Not a bad morning although still on the chilly side but no sign of frost.

I was a brave sodjer last night, still got a bad cough but as we'd arranged for a family get together with The 1% Club game being the highlight of the evening.

Have to admit, I didn't win, must be the effects of the flu. :rolleyes:

Chilly out earlier, that wind would have cut you in two.
I've just looked at the forecast for the rest of the week and it's not looking good.
Not to go over 3 deg all week.
Hey [mention=15909]Cookie Monster[/mention], how's the new car?

All good so far, now getting the hang of getting the best out the hybrid.

As much as it was -2°C this morning, didn't feel as cold as no wind.

Posted the weather on here, hope I don't get abused by the plick LJB here. [emoji6]

11 minutes ago, Cookie Monster said:

All good so far, now getting the hang of getting the best out the hybrid.

As much as it was -2°C this morning, didn't feel as cold as no wind.

Posted the weather on here, hope I don't get abused by the plick LJB here. emoji6.png

That's good, at you're age it'll take you longer to figure things out.  🙄

-2 but definitely getting a wee touch brighter, hopefully by the end of the month it'll be brighter coming and going to work.

Oh, LJB was right, you deserved a hosing. 🤣

2 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Sounded a bit windy when I let the dog out a wee while ago but dry.

Monday's are shit.

Murrray on the TV, I'd prefer to snuggle up and watch it but that's no happening. 

Snowy here on Tiree just now but don't expect it'll lie for too long, strong and bitterly cold winds from the North but sun starting to break through......hopefully that'll get the "feels like" temperature somewhere above -10 !!!!!

Baltic, had the heater on full blast for most of the day.

-2 on the way home but, again, that wee bit of brightness although it didn't last the 20 minutes of the drive home. 

Add in my "man flu" hasn't cleared and I'm feeling a bit fed up.

Another 3 guys in the work were off today, I'm definitely in for employee of the year. :wink:

2 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Had our first real snow of the winter yesterday, it made the drive home a bit tricky and, as it's currently -5 deg I might not make it into work as we're based up a steep single track road.

My workmate has just messaged me he got stuck. 

Managed to get to work but it took a while.

Car dashboard said -6, not as bad as @Peeblesaint, but bad enough.

I'll probably leave a wee bit earlier today, better to drive/get home in daylight.  

40 minutes ago, Albanian Buddy said:

@WeeBud do you have to clear the snow off the Starlink device? What sort of maintenance do you have to do with the device? Very interested.

It’s currently 25C in the shade where I am right now. Gotta love the winter sunshine in the Canary Islands.

Another 8 days to go……

I haven't cleared the snow off the Starlink so far @Albanian Buddy although the sun and salt air take care of it fairly quickly and there's been no drop off in speed/performance etc......the installer put in extra insulation tubing around the cables and he has boxed in the external connections. The installer is contracted to do a system check (including cables/connections) annually but as it's Tiree (and he's a pal) it's every six months......this'll be our first full winter with the system but all good so far👍

1 hour ago, WeeBud said:

I haven't cleared the snow off the Starlink so far @Albanian Buddy although the sun and salt air take care of it fairly quickly and there's been no drop off in speed/performance etc......the installer put in extra insulation tubing around the cables and he has boxed in the external connections. The installer is contracted to do a system check (including cables/connections) annually but as it's Tiree (and he's a pal) it's every six months......this'll be our first full winter with the system but all good so far👍

Do you have a backup power supply in the event of loss of mains electricity?