Buying Vinyl In Renfrewshire

dave.j

I've recently bought a new turntable and was curious as to where everyone is buying their vinyl these days.

HMV Braehead and Apollo are quite expensive for new records, though Apollo are not too bad for second hand. Is there any specific charity shops that stand out as regularly having a good haul?

When is Record Factory (I think it's called) up the west end ever open?

So far in the last couple of weeks I've bought:

Michael Head & The Strands: Magical World of.

Bad Company: Burning Sky.

The War On Drugs: Lost In The Dream

Pixies: Doolittle

Neil Young: Harvest

A couple of Rolling Stone RSD releases.

The last vinyl album I bought was probably U2s 'The Unforgettable Fire'... On its original release. The last music I bought was yesterday in Braehead, the re-mastered CD of Marvin Gaye's 'What's Going On'. The last music I downloaded were tracks by Swiss Lips, Nothing But Thieves, X Ambassadors, Joy Formidable, The Colourist, and Sean McConnell.

I just can't see me ever going back to vinyl. I have boxes of vinyl up in the loft, must try to punt them or just give them to a charity shop.

I know a few people who buy online. Quite a few shops use EBay as their vendor, and grade the condition of the LPs. This most likely the cheapest option, with greatest choice.

I toyed with the idea of buying a turntable a few years but, but would have to start from scratch as all my LPs were nicked when I stayed in a dodgy bedsit about 25 years ago.

It would be an expensive business, but also the issue of storage would be a major obstacle. I don't reckon my wife would entertain it.

Edited by Drew

I know a few people who buy online. Quite a few shops use EBay as their vendor, and grade the condition of the LPs. This most likely the cheapest option, with greatest choice.

I toyed with the idea of buying a turntable a few years but, but would have to start from scratch as all my LPs were nicked when I stayed in a dodgy bedsit about 25 years ago.

It would be an expensive business, but also the issue of storage would be a major obstacle. I don't reckon my wife would entertain it.

Start from scratch...

Ha, ha. Vinyl. Scratch. Like it. You didnae' mean it, did you.

Should add that I'm curious as to the current trend towards vinyl. I hear a lot about the higher quality sound and fidelity representation, but this isn't simply down to the storage medium and transfer through stylus. The quality of amp and speakers is at least as important, in my limited experience. Another factor is the stylus itself. A high end stylus can cost hundreds, while a cheap, stock affair often counteracts any benefit that might be derived from using vinyl.

Flicking through records in a shop does not bother me now as local shops are limited in their stock plus as you say quite expensive.

Here is where I buy vinyl if you know what you are looking for.

Amazon ...Third party sellers tend to be much cheaper than Amazon its self have proven to be quick and realisable.

Universal Music store on line have some amazing deals. I bought the complete Roxy Music Vinyl Box set for 57 pounds on amazon the same box set is 120 pounds.

Juno records in London - Amazing for Dance music , however not just dance music every type of music. Good prices while all albums have sound bites so you hear a bit of each track. Most of my music come from Juno now.

Eli Records online - This is the place where you find these hard to come by records that have been deleted.; An example being wanted original mono records from the 60s , Kinks Stones and so on. These records are second hand but are not sold unless they are perfect. Have found some real gems on this site.

Lastly would recommend you get even a basic record washing machine even to clean brand new records because even new records come with shit from the factory. cleaning records will also give more life to your cartridge. Anti static brush is a must.

Flicking through records in a shop does not bother me now as local shops are limited in their stock plus as you say quite expensive.

Here is where I buy vinyl if you know what you are looking for.

Amazon ...Third party sellers tend to be much cheaper than Amazon its self have proven to be quick and realisable.

Universal Music store on line have some amazing deals. I bought the complete Roxy Music Vinyl Box set for 57 pounds on amazon the same box set is 120 pounds.

Juno records in London - Amazing for Dance music , however not just dance music every type of music. Good prices while all albums have sound bites so you hear a bit of each track. Most of my music come from Juno now.

Eli Records online - This is the place where you find these hard to come by records that have been deleted.; An example being wanted original mono records from the 60s , Kinks Stones and so on. These records are second hand but are not sold unless they are perfect. Have found some real gems on this site.

Lastly would recommend you get even a basic record washing machine even to clean brand new records because even new records come with shit from the factory. cleaning records will also give more life to your cartridge. Anti static brush is a must.

Cheers IBS, I'll check them all out.

What's a record cleaning machine?

I actually don't think the prices in HMV are too bad , mostly they are very close to the internet prices but you have the added bonus of seeing in the shop if it is a heavy-weight , virgin vinyl copy rather than take a chance on line. .

A record cleaning machine cleans the record with a fluid and then hoovers the surface clean . A new one will generally cost around £300 upwards . You can buy a kit called the disco-antistat , made by a German company , for around £60 . This is the best kit you'll get without having the expense of a professional machine . You should be able to get a Disco-antitstat on line and it should last you a lifetime as long as you keep buying the fluid for it.

The record shop at the West End ? It basically opens when Brendan feels like it but usually at the weekend. It is all second hand and Brendan will usually advise you about the quality . He will play it in the shop for you as well , usually. .he also has a record cleaning machine , so you can see one first hand . .

I never really stopped buying vinyl, although it was mostly second hand. Now that it is back in vogue, the second hand prices are no longer bargains in most cases. There's a great wee place off Byres Road down Ruthven Lane that is crammed with boxes of vinyl.

Lost in Music?