I'm Listening To....

Bud the Baker

Scott at his best or was it due to Karl Wallinger..

Oh there's no doubting Wallinger's influence but it was Mike Scott that did all the songs and, according to him, was the realisation of his youthful ideas of what the band should sound like. A Pagan Place is another beauty, and Fisherman's Blues & Room to Roam I like very much as well although they feel like a different band. But This is the Sea is in my all time top ten.

Naaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Pains me to say it is indeed a glorious record. Old England sends a shiver down my spine.

1. Why does it pain you to say that?

2. Yeah it shivers me as well, especially the way Scott sings it.

But from that album, here's a wee word to Phil McFúckface:-

From the slime on your tongue to the nails on your toes,

From the scales on your skin to the stains on your clothes,

You're gonna make me have to do something that I do not wanna do,

But if you'll be my enemy, I'll be your enemy too.

Naaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Pains me to say it is indeed a glorious record. Old England sends a shiver down my spine.

On Old England , Scott does paint quite a stark picture but one that is fairly acurate . The snare drum on it is class and its a tune that always got a good reaction on live performances.

On Old England , Scott does paint quite a stark picture but one that is fairly acurate . The snare drum on it is class and its a tune that always got a good reaction on live performances.

I remember talking to an English friend of a friend who was dragged along to see The Waterboys and took objection to the title Old England is Dying then gave a huge round of applause after the song finished as it struck him how truthful it was.

There's a live version from Glastonbury round about '86 (a fúcking stunning set, by the way; it's on the Live Adventures of The Waterboys and there's some great stuff on that). He changes the lyrics a bit; "Where Kinnock fumbles and Thatcher lies", "journalists are dignified and everyone is anaesthetised". He also dedicates Be My Enemy to Ronald Reagan and they do a great version of Maggie's Farm. They really were a cracking band then.

I remember talking to an English friend of a friend who was dragged along to see The Waterboys and took objection to the title Old England is Dying then gave a huge round of applause after the song finished as it struck him how truthful it was.

There's a live version from Glastonbury round about '86 (a fúcking stunning set, by the way; it's on the Live Adventures of The Waterboys and there's some great stuff on that). He changes the lyrics a bit; "Where Kinnock fumbles and Thatcher lies", "journalists are dignified and everyone is anaesthetised". He also dedicates Be My Enemy to Ronald Reagan and they do a great version of Maggie's Farm. They really were a cracking band then.

He was quite apt to change lyrics at the live gigs. The lyrics to Higher in Time changed a few times before he released the tune. When he reinstated Wickham for The Rock In the Weary Land tour they came to Barrowlands and when Scott into'd "Dumbing Down The World " he said "This one is dedicated to you , Mr Springer"

He was quite apt to change lyrics at the live gigs. The lyrics to Higher in Time changed a few times before he released the tune. When he reinstated Wickham for The Rock In the Weary Land tour they came to Barrowlands and when Scott into'd "Dumbing Down The World " he said "This one is dedicated to you , Mr Springer"

Yep, was at that gig. Steve Wickham looked resplendent in his frock coat. :D

Yep, was at that gig. Steve Wickham looked resplendent in his frock coat. :D

I was in Abbotsinch not long after that gig when I saw this guy coming towards me looking like a Hill Billy , wearing what could best be described as a buffalo hat . As he came closer I realised it was "the fellow who fiddles" , when I said his name he stopped and we had a chat . Very genuine sort of guy. He had been playing at the RCH in a brief appearance thing called Celtic Connections.

Edited by saintnextlifetime