Top 5 Bands That Had It....

Aquay Saint

Ever loved a band and then wished that they had split up 'cos they've just took it too far and became embarrassing........here's my top 5.

1. Genesis - Post self titled album (the one with Mama on it) slipped into AOR pap after that.

2. AC/DC - should have chucked it after For Those About To Rock

3. Jethro Tull - Still listenable but not as mighty as they once were

4. Quo - post 1983 became a cabaret band (margerhita time anyone?)

5. Radiohead - Kid A, I rest my case!

Radiohead are responsible for the worst ever gig I was at, namely that pile of pish that was performed in a big top on Glasgow Green about 5 years ago with the Kid Amnesiac nonsense.

King Crimson did experimental avant-garde stuff much better because they had an idea of what the fúck they were doing.

I also thought that U2 round about the Zoo TV tour had lost it. In retrospect I got Zooropa a couple of years ago and quite like it.

Quo's golden era seemed to have gone with the early 80s.

Aerosmith were a band that lost it but thankfully found it again.

I hear Sandinista isn't that great an album......

Radiohead are responsible for the worst ever gig I was at, namely that pile of pish that was performed in a big top on Glasgow Green about 5 years ago with the Kid Amnesiac nonsense.

193105[/snapback]

I was there too Howard. Absolutely appalling gig. The crowd didn't move for about an hour and a half, until they finally played Paranoid Android. I gave them one last chance at the SECC a couple of years ago, but that was shite as well. Not interested any more.

Edited by Herbie

I was there too Howard. Absolutely appalling gig. The crowd didn't move for about an hour and a half, until they finally played Paranoid Android. I gave them one last chance at the SECC a couple of years ago, but that was shite as well. Not interested any more.

193107[/snapback]

Haven't been to see them since. Don't think I will. It's a sad fact about some acts that just go down the tubes.

Mind you, Some do get better with age. The 1980s notwithstanding David Bowie has a highly impressive back catalogue. From about Alladinsane onwards I'd say he's been peerless.

IMO U2 got that way during their Zoo crap.

193086[/snapback]

Have to disagree with that I'm afraid. Some of my favourite U2 tracks are on Achtung Baby and Zooropa. IMO they lost it more recently on their last couple of albums when they tried to recreate the music they were making in the 80's.

New Order, sadly, will have to be put on that list. As much as I wanted "Waiting for the sirens call" to be brilliant, it just isn't. I saw the tv footage of Glastonbury and that looked poor too.

Edited by Killie Saint

Radiohead are the best example of this ever. Thom Yorke disappeared up his own arse. Anybody who says they enjoyed the "experimental" stuff of Kid A and Amnesiac is either a liar or tone deaf.

193091[/snapback]

yip totally agree to think,but they did make imn my opinion the best album of all time ok computor...CLASS. :wink:

• 4 weeks later...

I just noticed all this blatant Kid A bashing....I dont see how anyone can like OK Computer and not Kid A! I didnt like it at first either but it really did grow on me.....now I reckon its one of the greatest albums ever. So Radiohead wont be my top 5 bands/artists who had and lost it, who are:

1. McCartney

2. oasis - great first album, some great singles on the 2nd and then, ladies and gentlemen we present THE MOST UNIMAGINATIVE MUSIC ON THE PLANET VOLUMES 1 to 5. utter cr@p now.

3. stereophonics. see above, although were never that good.

4. Van Morrison

5. A Certain Ratio

Don't think making a bad or experimental album constitutes to losing it. U2 and Radiohead still sell albums in their millions.

As for Genesis the best album they did for years was after Pill Collins departed the band. The album was called "Calling All Stations" with ex Stiltskin vocalist Ray Wilson. Too many of Genesis fans were really fans of Pill Collins pop music plc and would never give Ray a chance, yet with Ray Genesis sounded like the old band with Peter Gabriel

1/ Slick....They used to play some real rock in Clouds above the old apollo. Then burst into the charts with the biggest pish I have ever heard.

2/ Syd Barret lost it and never recoverd from it.

3/ Slade went to America at their peek and it was down hill for them never to recover as one of the UK'S biggest ever selling singles band.

4/ Take That.......A certain Rabbie Williams wild side came to the fore. Bye bye take that and the end for Take That.

5/ The Spice Girls....Gerry Hallliell

1. The Rolling Stones - post Mick Taylor choosing Ron Woods meant a slide into mediocrity.

2. The Who - Should've quit before they got old.

3. Oasis - Mostly downhill since "What's The Story............", altho' I liked the last single which they pinched from the The Kinks. Nice to see they're moving on.

4. Bruce Springsteen - Where has all the fun gone? No great album since Nebraska.

5. Jim Morrison - What's he done lately?