Radio Clyde

Bill Lees

That the first ever song broadcast on Radio Clyde was Kenneth McKellar singing "The Song of The Clyde" ?

For more nostalgia about Tiger Tim, Tom Ferrie, Richard Park, Dougie Donnelly, McLaughlin's Ceilidh and Iain Anderson, check the link .

Clyde Stuff

Edited by Bill Lees

Guest saint hits the net

Three years ago, my twenty seven year old sister was complaining about being homesick - ten years in Germany probably has that effect. My old man decided that the problem could be solved by sending a pile of cassettes over to her. I don't think she was too pleased on realising that they all featured the Alexander Brothers.. :lol:

I remember listening to Radio Clyde when it first began and thought it was marvellous to hear sports coverage outwith the BBC. Am I right in thinking the station started on January the 1st of that year ?

I won a competition on Iain Anderson's show years ago and received six albums which were promo only - the best of which was Joe Jackson.

I am also one of the few Saints to have been cut off on the Clyde phone-in when Chick Young thought I was being too harsh on Alex Smith after Saints had lost 3-0 at home to Clydebank in a Scottish Cup tie in early 1988.

SHTN, Radio Clyde launched at midnight on January 1st, right after the bells with a Hogmanay ceilidh featuring Jack McLaughlin, Richard Park, Tom Ferry and not forgetting their token Englishman Steve Jones - whatever happened to HIM?

The oroginal sports coverage was Richard Park in the studio playing records with phoned-in match reports from "around the grounds". It was a real major thing when they were eventually allowed to do a live match commentary. Second half only of course. Then along came the phone-in, James Sanderson, and the rest is history...

Edited by Reidy1987

That the first ever song broadcast on Radio Clyde was Kenneth McKellar singing "The Song of The Clyde" ?

This would have been the first officialsong broadcast on Radio Clyde, but they were broadcasting 'test' shows over the airwaves for several weeks before the official opening of the station. It used to be quite amusing listening to some fairly amateurish auditions from pathetic would-be DJs, as well as practice shows from the eventual hosts.

Guest saint hits the net

Steve Jones - wondered what happened to the former Sex Pistol. :D Seriously, is that the Steve Jones who used to host the Pyramid game ? I think I'm right in saying that the Pyramid game was originally a bit part quiz on something like Bruce Forsyth's big night - a three hour Saturday night TV extravaganza, until it was given it's own half our weekly slot.

I used to listen to a programme called Streetsounds by Brian ??? in the late seventies. He played New Wave stuff and I remember him introducing a band called Johnny and the self abusers who later changed their name to Simple Minds...

Steve Jones - wondered what happened to the former Sex Pistol. :D Seriously, is that the Steve Jones who used to host the Pyramid game ? I think I'm right in saying that the Pyramid game was originally a bit part quiz on something like Bruce Forsyth's big night - a three hour Saturday night TV extravaganza, until it was given it's own half our weekly slot.

I used to listen to a programme called Streetsounds by Brian ??? in the late seventies. He played New Wave stuff and I remember him introducing a band called Johnny and the self abusers who later changed their name to Simple Minds...

SHTN, yep, Steve Jones went on to the dizzy heights of presneting the Pyramd Game, via a stint on Radio Two. Wowee...

Brian Ford, wasn't it. He had a great show. Then there was Tom Russell who did a rock show and put on this ridiculous growly voice. Other notables(?) who started out on Radio Clyde - Dougie Donnelly, Tom Ferrie, Paul Coia, Ross King and Richard Park. What a shower... :lol:

Guest saint hits the net

And don't forget Bill Smith - and I'm ashamed to say I still have a tape of his phone call to my Mother- In-Law when I suggested he ring her on her Silver Wedding anniversary - all that for a bottle of Bill's bubbly !

As a matter of interest, my Mother-In-Law lived three doors away from a young guy who would eventually become a DJ on Clyde - if the name Gary Marshall is familiar to you.

• 13 years later...