The Fans Board Members

St. Sid

As a bit of research for my Fans Presidential campaign I thought I would do a bit of online polling for the what fellow fans are looking for from their eventual representative members. :P

I have just the one stipulation - no f'k'n politicians retired or not.

Earlier in this process one of the first traits I would have been looking for is someone that would question and challenge the other board members. Having seen some of the madness posted to date by the self elected inquisition mob I am not so sure about that now. :P

Poz"gingy"Beard suggested someone that would represent the views of their fellow supporters. Has to be one of the top requirements. We will of course need some mechanism in place for that to happen as well as some safeguards to ensure that the noisy lunatic element - well animal don't hog the representative with crazy ideas.

Business acumen - I am not overly convinced about this one. I have lots of it as have others; however my view if that softer skills around understanding what it is to be a supporter and what we want from the game and our club will be more important for ensuring that decisions aren't all about the bottom line - the success of the recent price reductions perhaps proves that.

Community Awareness - As well as the understanding of the desire of the football supporter, they will need to have a desire for St Mirren to grow in the community - the one town, one team mission to grow the club beyond its current hardcore. This will be key to the growth of the club and the on field chances of increased success.

Honesty and accountability - sort of covered this already with the no politicians statement earlier. :P

Early days; however what sort of character would like to represent you on the BoD?

It'll be a thankless task Sid. There's historic evidence of this at almost every club that allowed a supporters representative onto the club board. You'd have to put in hours and hours of unpaid work sitting in a committee room that will frustrate the f**k out of you and whether you agree with the decisions made by the collective or not you'd need to return to your members after the democratic vote and tell them why the decision that was reached was for the best for the club.

Then on the other side you'll be accused of being a turncoat, forgetting the members who got you there, and most likely of being either in the pocket of someone or of selling out the support for a free lager and a few prawn sandwiches.

However if I decide to become a member my vote will go to the person who I believe has the best contacts, who has the most innivotive ideas and who has the most integrety to their own beliefs and will stand firm regardless of whether they hold a popular opinion or not.

Edited to add - oh aye and being so close to the heart of a club will ensure you will see a lot of warts. Whomever gets elected will need to have a strong stomach. :rolleyes:

Edited by Stuart Dickson

It'll be a thankless task Sid. There's historic evidence of this at almost every club that allowed a supporters representative onto the club board.

At the vast majority of clubs that would have been saddled with the supporters representative being a plastic/token appointment. Totally different here.

At the vast majority of clubs that would have been saddled with the supporters representative being a plastic/token appointment. Totally different here.

Maybe you know a lot more than me but I wouldn't have thought the Corporate and Community Members would be electing from the same pool of nominees as the Individual Members. After all they deserve to get their interests represented on these boards too....

Infact strike that - the presentation is perfectly clear that it won't be and that from the 11 members on the elected members board the individual members would hold the minority position. Not a bad thing at all, and indeed as it should be, however it's not that much different from the situations other fans representatives found themselves in at say Falkirk, Carlisle or Exeter City.

Edited by Stuart Dickson

Maybe you know a lot more than me but I wouldn't have thought the Corporate and Community Members would be electing from the same pool of nominees as the Individual Members. After all they deserve to get their interests represented on these boards too....

Infact strike that - the presentation is perfectly clear that it won't be and that from the 11 members on the elected members board the individual members would hold the minority position. Not a bad thing at all, and indeed as it should be, however it's not that much different from the situations other fans representatives found themselves in at say Falkirk, Carlisle or Exeter City.

But, the important part here is that the appointments are neither plastic nor token.

As a bit of research for my Fans Presidential campaign I thought I would do a bit of online polling for the what fellow fans are looking for from their eventual representative members. :P

I have just the one stipulation - no f'k'n politicians retired or not.

Earlier in this process one of the first traits I would have been looking for is someone that would question and challenge the other board members. Having seen some of the madness posted to date by the self elected inquisition mob I am not so sure about that now. :P

Poz"gingy"Beard suggested someone that would represent the views of their fellow supporters. Has to be one of the top requirements. We will of course need some mechanism in place for that to happen as well as some safeguards to ensure that the noisy lunatic element - well animal don't hog the representative with crazy ideas.

Business acumen - I am not overly convinced about this one. I have lots of it as have others; however my view if that softer skills around understanding what it is to be a supporter and what we want from the game and our club will be more important for ensuring that decisions aren't all about the bottom line - the success of the recent price reductions perhaps proves that.

Community Awareness - As well as the understanding of the desire of the football supporter, they will need to have a desire for St Mirren to grow in the community - the one town, one team mission to grow the club beyond its current hardcore. This will be key to the growth of the club and the on field chances of increased success.

Honesty and accountability - sort of covered this already with the no politicians statement earlier. :P

Early days; however what sort of character would like to represent you on the BoD?

Have felt for a while Sid you have ambitions to be on the CIC board. I don't have a problem with that if you have the drive for it.

Your good at writing notes so maybe a secretary position would be good for you.

All I am interested in is what players can be put on the park absolutely nothing else

How come Stuart Dickson is such a tosser on P+B but comes across as an,almost,alright guy on here? :unsure:

Give him time, John. All it will take is one hissy fit with a board member over something he doesn't like and he'll probably revert to type.

But maybe the fat git is mellowing in his old age :P

I would want people who have drive, commitment and good contacts within the local business community. But most importantly have a good listening ear when it comes maintaining a link between the CIC and the ordinary punter who pays his season ticket money or ticket money every second Saturday. By that I mean having a good ear for ideas coming from the fans. Richard A seems to have embraced that kind of spirit and hope that continues going forward.

Have felt for a while Sid you have ambitions to be on the CIC board. I don't have a problem with that if you have the drive for it.

Your good at writing notes so maybe a secretary position would be good for you.

All I am interested in is what players can be put on the park absolutely nothing else

Sorry LS, committees are not for me I am afraid. I like to just crack on and get things done. I will be getting an office as part of the void refit though. :P

• 2 weeks later...

I think it's quite hard to say what will be required at the moment before the first meeting of the CIC where the ground rules.

Someone who can listen to the opinion of the fans would be essential. And who has enough knowledge and drive to present these ideas clearly to the CIC to make sure they are implemented!

What about that SMISA Guy who writes in the Match Day Programme?

He always seems to know what he's talking about and comes across like a "Man Of The People" kinda bloke?

Hiya Wullie. :P

I think that is a very good shout - providing he is interested and has the time. The White Van Driver guy also seems moderately sane compared to the rest of us. :)

I think that is a very good shout - providing he is interested and has the time. The White Van Driver guy also seems moderately sane compared to the rest of us. :)

Or perhaps it could be split between two people to share the load/burden of the tasks involved?

Sid/SMISA Programme Guy or Sid/Gary Blues or Jim Dick Loyal/Civil Saint or Faraway/Mr. Panda? :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...