Champions League 2012/13

shull

This game was a win win situation for me. Had they been pumped I would have been laughing at the Celtic fans who laugh at us.

The fact that they won brings a bit of respect back to our SPL from Europe. Also it means they will lose their best players in the transfer window.

How will Europe know that it was a Scottish Team that won last night ? 1eye.gif

Danny should maybe look at a Scottish team with several first teamers missing able to take on and beat the best team on the planet, and think on that the next time St Mirren are due to face Celtic. The attitude shouldn't be to blow sunshine out of the bigger team's arse and feel lucky to be on the same pitch as them, the attitude should be to get stuck in and feel you have a chance. Celtic didn't shite themselves against Barcelona home or away - why do we shite ourselves against Celtic?

Danny should maybe look at a Scottish team with several first teamers missing able to take on and beat the best team on the planet, and think on that the next time St Mirren are due to face Celtic. The attitude shouldn't be to blow sunshine out of the bigger team's arse and feel lucky to be on the same pitch as them, the attitude should be to get stuck in and feel you have a chance. Celtic didn't shite themselves against Barcelona home or away - why do we shite ourselves against Celtic?

They got lucky, their goalie had the game of his life. They had 2 shots at goal and both were goals. Barca's keeper never had a save. They also played their right back at left back he handled Messi pretty well.

Budgets only go so far though, Barcelona aren't they richest team in the world yet they are the best team in the world. Messi isn't the highest player in the world but he is by far the best player in the world (In my opinion).

I agree that budgets aren't everything, but they're intrinsically linked to success in football almost everywhere you look (Old Firm in Scotland, Chelsea/Man City in England, Real in Spain). But perhaps I should point out something about my last post: as opposed to budgets, I think it was income that they looked at, which is probably a fairer way to see things, because income can be spent on all manner of things including youth systems - something that both Barca and Celtic obviously invest fairly heavily in.

What I'm saying is that a team like Killie, or St Mirren, or any other SPL side, has very limited income compared to Celtic/Barca and therefore very limited amounts of money to spend on the likes of players and youth systems. For a team like Killie to go to Celtic Park and win 2-0 (scoring one more and conceding two less than Barcelona!) is an outstanding achievement, far more - I'd argue - of an achievement than Celtic winning 2-1 at home to Barca. Though I'm not sure how many Celtic fans would actually admit that...

What this does prove, though - as Poz pointed out above - is that there's no need to be scared of bigger and better teams than you. That applies to both Scotland and St Mirren. I've not once seen Neil Lennon do anything but praise his own team and talk up his own players, and that's exactly how it should be. I'm not looking forward to Danny drooling over Barca when we draw them in next season's Champions League.

Edited by Sunny Saint

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hopefully Juve will hit the Green Vermin for 6 tonight.

And then another 6-0 for the Italians in the second leg.

I remember David Murray, in the 90's, saying he'd spent money for the Deid Team to win the Champions League.

They played Juve tae...........

They lost both legs......

4-0 & 4-1

lol.giflol.giflol.giflol.gif

I remember David Murray, in the 90's, saying he'd spent money for the Deid Team to win the Champions League.

4-0 & 4-1

Just heard a whisper Neil Lennon uses your posts to motivate the team. whistling.gif

Stop press, Shull helps Celtic through the group stages and possibly into the last 8 of the Champions league. clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

4-0 & 4-1

I'll take any any wee bit of help that Saints can get and surely the 'tic still having a bit of a chance going to Turin might give us that edge that could make the difference.