2014 Ryder Cup

Charlotte Saint

If it's a 'yes' vote, can't see the Open being dropped from St Andrews, Carnoustie, Muirfield, Troon, and Trump Town.

Can anyone really imagine that?

Not a chance.

The first 33 Opens were in Scotland and St Andrews is the only venue guaranteed to host it every 5 years.

You can take our pound but you'll never take our opppppeennnn.!!!

Edited by davidg

Not a chance.

The first 29 opens were in Scotland and St Andrews is the only venue guaranteed to host it every 5 years.

You can take our pound but you'll never take our opppppeennnn.!!!

Off the top of my head, the Open courses down South are Birkdale, Lytham, and Royal St Georges? I've probably missed one?

I believe that if the infrastructure (hotels, roads) were in place, then both Royal Dornoch (Scotland) and Portrush (Norn Iron) would be on the Open rota. Not sure where they'd find five new links venues in England.

They won't. Load of pish. Weetabix heid' Trump would be somewhat peeved.

Off the top of my head, the Open courses down South are Birkdale, Lytham, and Royal St Georges? I've probably missed one?

I believe that if the infrastructure (hotels, roads) were in place, then both Royal Dornoch (Scotland) and Portrush (Norn Iron) would be on the Open rota. Not sure where they'd find five new links venues in England.

Dornoch? Not at 6700 odd yards, far too short and easy now for these guys.

Missed this years venue, Royal Liverpool.

You missed Royal Liverpool in Hoylake. Portrush has been provisionally given 2019 and it looks certain. Having been stuck in traffic jams at virtually every open I've been at, I do have worries about how they will cope. There are few bits of motorway in Northern Ireland and an awful lot of people will have to stay in hotels in Belfast. This is huge for Northern Ireland and I hope it comes off and is a huge success. I've never played Portrush but it frightens me looking at it. Mind you, Barshaw has done that too!

Poulter & Westwood will get picked.

That leaves one spot available and it's got to be between Stevie G, Donald, Molinari & I believe Jimenez is in with a shout.

I'd hope that Gallacher gets the nod after missing out by one shot and being on home soil.

Donald is the main danger as his Ryder Cup record is one of the best. Winning losing only 4 of his 15 games. His matchplay record is excellent, he has the best record in the Walker Cup also, winning 7 of 8 games.

Jimenez must be in with a sneaky chance, he's friendly with the captains and he's popular with the players, great guy for team spirit. If he's not a pick I'd imagine he'll be on the team as a mentor.

Really hope it's Gallacher, would be great to be able to cheer a Scottish lad on at Gleneagles.

US tv this morning reckon Poulter & Westwood have already been told they're in with the other place between Gallacher & Donald with Gallacher the favourite.

I absolutely love the Ryder Cup, it's the best sporting event in the world in my opinion. I've never seen anything like that last day at Medina before or since, literally was couldn't look away stuff for hours.

There's always drama, always tension and large swathes of continental/national pride.

The team element to normally such an individual sport adds an extra dimension aswell, and unlikely heroes and villains always seem to appear for both sides.

Absolutely delighted it's coming to Scotland, hopefully we get the weather and we get another European win.

Hmm, the Ryder cup soon then.............

I think with Tiger Woods out and Dustin Johnston out, the Yanks will have a much better opportunity than many think. These two have caused considerable friction and disharmony amongst many with with their antics, their approach to their USA team mates, some of their wives , allegedly , all amongst other aherm partying traits, Tom Watson acted swiftly and decisively.

After all it is Watson's team and he as a consumate professional and class act would not want to be associated with a split camp, he has already struck a telling blow all before any golf is played.

Hopefully the weather is kind and doesn't turn the show into a Scottish outdoor waterproof and active wear showcase ! Then again , a £95.00 Ryder Cup polo shirt,erm , naw, ram it !!

Hmm, the Ryder cup soon then.............

I think with Tiger Woods out and Dustin Johnston out, the Yanks will have a much better opportunity than many think. These two have caused considerable friction and disharmony amongst many with with their antics, their approach to their USA team mates, some of their wives , allegedly , all amongst other aherm partying traits, Tom Watson acted swiftly and decisively.

After all it is Watson's team and he as a consumate professional and class act would not want to be associated with a split camp, he has already struck a telling blow all before any golf is played.

Hopefully the weather is kind and doesn't turn the show into a Scottish outdoor waterproof and active wear showcase ! Then again , a £95.00 Ryder Cup polo shirt,erm , naw, ram it !!

Woods pulled out due to an injury &B poor form, Watson didn't "act decisively" with him?

I don't know anything about the exclusion of Johnston.

I'm sure somebody will shine a light on your revelations.

EDIT TO ADD:

LONDON (Reuters) - United States will miss the big-hitting Dustin Johnson in next month's Ryder Cup at Gleneagles more than former world number one Tiger Woods, according to 1991 European team member Paul Broadhurst.

Woods ruled himself out of a possible wildcard pick because of poor form and a lack of fitness while fellow American Johnson has taken a leave of absence from golf in order to deal with "personal challenges".

The par-72 PGA Centenary course in Scotland, created by 18-times major winner Jack Nicklaus, measures 7,243 yards in length but the back nine is not overly long at 3,492 yards.

There are two par-fives on the homeward stretch and two relatively short par-fours, the 350-yard 11th and 320-yard 14th, and Broadhurst believes Johnson would have had a field day on the inward nine.

"The U.S. have lost two big players in Tiger and Dustin," the Englishman told Reuters in an interview.

"The way Tiger's been playing the U.S. will be better off without him. His Ryder Cup record isn't brilliant but I'm sure he would have been on their team if he had been fit and his form would have been half decent.

"I think Dustin's a bigger loss for the Americans because he's such a powerful player."

Edited by faraway saint

Woods pulled out due to an injury &B poor form, Watson didn't "act decisively" with him?

I don't know anything about the exclusion of Johnston.

I'm sure somebody will shine a light on your revelations.

EDIT TO ADD:

LONDON (Reuters) - United States will miss the big-hitting Dustin Johnson in next month's Ryder Cup at Gleneagles more than former world number one Tiger Woods, according to 1991 European team member Paul Broadhurst.

Woods ruled himself out of a possible wildcard pick because of poor form and a lack of fitness while fellow American Johnson has taken a leave of absence from golf in order to deal with "personal challenges".

The par-72 PGA Centenary course in Scotland, created by 18-times major winner Jack Nicklaus, measures 7,243 yards in length but the back nine is not overly long at 3,492 yards.

There are two par-fives on the homeward stretch and two relatively short par-fours, the 350-yard 11th and 320-yard 14th, and Broadhurst believes Johnson would have had a field day on the inward nine.

"The U.S. have lost two big players in Tiger and Dustin," the Englishman told Reuters in an interview.

"The way Tiger's been playing the U.S. will be better off without him. His Ryder Cup record isn't brilliant but I'm sure he would have been on their team if he had been fit and his form would have been half decent.

"I think Dustin's a bigger loss for the Americans because he's such a powerful player."

Yes he did, he posed a direct question of Woods and forced a direct answer and prevented a drawn out protracted spell of speculation around the latest Woods injury and all the media hype and nonsense that surround the Woods golf co.

Anyway...................apart from you wanting to argue with me about golf, who really cares bye1.gif

Yes he did, he posed a direct question of Woods and forced a direct answer and prevented a drawn out protracted spell of speculation around the latest Woods injury and all the media hype and nonsense that surround the Woods golf co.

Anyway...................apart from you wanting to argue with me about golf, who really cares bye1.gif

You made it up................bye1.gif

You made it up................bye1.gif

hmmm, good form never reveal sources fella. Let's just say , I knew something before you...................tongue.png and you accuse me of making it up.

Take a good firm grip of your shaft, watch for the divot and strike with the head held firm, hope yer ball doesn't end up buried in sand

• 2 weeks later...