The Royal Mail Ltd.

shull

Guest TPAFKATS

Those scandalised, please elaborate.

I'm sitting on the fence presently.

For starters...

The assets of the company have been stripped, including the pension fund, in ways that Maxwell would've been proud.

For years they have had to deliver private companies mail (TNT etc) at a loss whilst being told they were a monopoly.

Any private company is business to turn a profit for shareholders (including the hedge funds) - this will mean a much reduced or non existent service in rural areas.

I've yet to see any organisation being privatised and not have resulting job losses.

The real scandal of the Royal Mail is the male dominated union do feck all for the company's female staff.

I feel like quoting a well known employee of said establishment , whom also posted on here at one time. . A lot of wanky pish............................

Edited by saintnextlifetime

For starters...

The assets of the company have been stripped, including the pension fund, in ways that Maxwell would've been proud.

For years they have had to deliver private companies mail (TNT etc) at a loss whilst being told they were a monopoly.

Any private company is business to turn a profit for shareholders (including the hedge funds) - this will mean a much reduced or non existent service in rural areas.

I've yet to see any organisation being privatised and not have resulting job losses.

Excellently elaborated Sir ! clap.gif

I'm swaying ! punk.gif

Each and every one of us who pay tax in this country have invested in the Royal Mail. In return, we have received a guaranteed service regardless of where we live, and many people have secured employment.

The Royal Mail is our asset. It is currently a financially sound organisation that makes money, provides an invaluable service, and many jobs. Could someone please explain to me how we will benefit from its privatisation? From an organisation that was toiling, it has been turned around and is now being sold on the basis that, in the future, its primary purpose will be to make money for shareholders first, with providing a guaranteed, UK-wide service and protecting jobs taking a back seat.

It is sickening.

Each and every one of us who pay tax in this country have invested in the Royal Mail. In return, we have received a guaranteed service regardless of where we live, and many people have secured employment.

The Royal Mail is our asset. It is currently a financially sound organisation that makes money, provides an invaluable service, and many jobs. Could someone please explain to me how we will benefit from its privatisation? From an organisation that was toiling, it has been turned around and is now being sold on the basis that, in the future, its primary purpose will be to make money for shareholders first, with providing a guaranteed, UK-wide service and protecting jobs taking a back seat.

It is sickening.

I don't understand the Tory mindset at all on this and other privatisation issues.

We have a f**ked rail system.

A bus system which has essentially wiped out all public transport to rural areas.

A gas and electricity network which is a controlled confusopoly where each company makes it virtually impossible to directly compare one tarriff with any other company thus inducing inertia.

And apart from Scotland, the rest of the UK has privatised water with bills escalating as much as each company can get away with.

Benefit to the country? f**k all. Job losses, staff stressed and overworked, poorer and poorer service, escalating prices with no real alternatives and nothing anyone can do about it now.

We can expect the mail system to basically be finished overnight now. We'll have hundreds of companies all delivering more leaflets and confusing people with their vast array of charges.

At the risk of repeating myself, the question to ask anyone tempted to buy shares is "Why are we being asked to buy shares in something we already own?"

As oaky says, everything else once previously state owned is either f**ked up beyond belief or a monopoly which can charge whatever it likes and provide whatever service it feels like ( so long as it's profitable). And don't get me started on the TSB sell-off, it wasn't even state owned to start with.

Welcome to life in the legacy of Thatcher's Britain.

At the risk of repeating myself, the question to ask anyone tempted to buy shares is "Why are we being asked to buy shares in something we already own?"

As oaky says, everything else once previously state owned is either f**ked up beyond belief or a monopoly which can charge whatever it likes and provide whatever service it feels like ( so long as it's profitable). And don't get me started on the TSB sell-off, it wasn't even state owned to start with.

Welcome to life in the legacy of Thatcher's Britain.

I'd settle for a proper explanation from someone in government who has pushed this privatisation agenda over the last 40 years.

An explanation of why the human and social carnage is worth what they've done.