Devil's Pulpit, Near Killearn

pozbaird

As a keen photographer, I've heard that this is a stunning place to take pics, and you can get down into the floor of the gorge - but it's a well-dodgy steep path to negotiate, and is over-grown and slippery. One wrong move and it could be a sheer 80ft fall into shallow water and a possible Schumacher-esque napper/rock interface situation.

Anyone ever been? Any idea if it is accessible, or would be best left alone?

As a keen photographer, I've heard that this is a stunning place to take pics, and you can get down into the floor of the gorge - but it's a well-dodgy steep path to negotiate, and is over-grown and slippery. One wrong move and it could be a sheer 80ft fall into shallow water and a possible Schumacher-esque napper/rock interface situation.

Anyone ever been? Any idea if it is accessible, or would be best left alone?

Just go for it. thumbup2.gif

Hmm. Might wait until the summer to give the ground a chance to dry out a bit. Might just jump in if we lose our next two games.

Good shout.

The Wangie would be fine (if a bit soggy en route), but it is better to take in the Pulpit when in that neck of the woods.

Great link by rabuddies. smile.png

Apart from the vid on that link, I know I've seen a few others and will try to find them... If I can remember where they were....

It's a great place. Wet, cold, sliddery. Just wear the right gear.

No joy.

But I tried youtube obv.

Liked this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Y5b5IXX0nA

but there are others.

And, aye, 'summer' after a month of 'dry' would indeed be a no-brainer.

I know the place well. There is a wee parking spot on the other side of the road, but they've bricked up the access to get off the road in to the pulpit side. If you're fit and healthy enough to get down the gorge then you'll be fit and healthy enough to get over the wall and through the mud and jaggies.

The last time I was there I took my now wife with me. I also took 80 meters of rope as it was really muddy and slippy.

It is one of a handful of beautiful 'secret' places from my yooth.

On the other side of the road there is a big old tree that grows out the side of a fairly steep hill that is tip top for making a rope swing out over the river.

The whole place is ruined by dickheads who leave the remains of their carry oots scattered all over the place, which is why the landowner isny keen on people cutting about there.

The pulpit is a quite well known place, in some circles, and it's a badge of honour to abseil off the top

No joy.

But I tried youtube obv.

Liked this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Y5b5IXX0nA

but there are others.

And, aye, 'summer' after a month of 'dry' would indeed be a no-brainer.

Enjoyed that. Nice jeans. I'm glad she didn't slip on the slimy bits. I wouldn't like to see her hurting her jeans. How did yon guy get her?