Words

faraway saint

Just seen the word "row" in another thread and on it's own has more than one meaning.

The English language must be a nightmare for foreigners to learn, and some non foreigners. whistling.gif

How many words "sound" the same but have different meanings or are spelt differently?

The example above.....................

row: a line of things/people

row: to propel a boat

row: a quarrel

Just seen the word "row" in another thread and on it's own has more than one meaning.

The English language must be a nightmare for foreigners to learn, and some non foreigners. whistling.gif

How many words "sound" the same but have different meanings or are spelt differently?

The example above.....................

row: a line of things/people

row: to propel a boat

row: a quarrel

It is the homonymic nature of the language , dick . .

table,chair,step,key,handle,curtains,blind,cover,seat,switch,rose,photo,bag,speaker,clip, all of which i can see from where i am sitting - and finally - chips, time for tea

Not all of them are homonymic . Photo has the verb and the noun meaning but doesn't have a completely different mean , like the way that "rose " or blind would have . .

I once heard of a young fella who stuffed a big leek inside his jeans for 'effect'. Unfortunately the first time he went for a leak, he pulled out his leek by mistake and pissed himself.

Another classic Rick story....................................is it real or is it made up......................who cares, a classic, none the less. thumbup2.gif