Words

faraway saint

Another classic Rick story....................................is it real or is it made up......................who cares, a classic, none the less. thumbup2.gif

The guy who told me that story a couple of years back swore it was true but I'm not saying it is. He was (and still is) a crazy, half drunk Irishman but he's the kind of guy who can have you in stitches from the way he tells them.

Why do we have so many words for the condition of "being under influence of alcohol"? Pissed, blootered, stocious, steaming, miroculous?, bevvied, please feel free to add.

When I were a younger lad, me and a mate compiled a list of words for being inebriated. I think we got bored after hitting 70 odd.

Hammered. Bladdered. Smashed. Wellied....

Then of course you get illiterates using OF instead of HAVE.

(Silent k) Knobs

When we lived in Durham, my youngster was in third year at school. The English English teacher red-lined her sentence with the word "could've" in it and wrote "could of" beside it. Her face was a picture when I pulled her up about it at the next parents' evening.

Blocked is probably the most common word for it over here.

Is originally a sixties term used by London Mod's. It refers to the Mods' use of Purple Hearts which was known as getting "blocked." The Block was the dance of an intoxicated Mod "blocked" on Purple Hearts. I'm not suggesting that one had to be on speed to dance the Block, it was more in the form of a parody.

Is this Rick's way of telling us that NI has finally made it to the 60's?

smile.png

Dunno when 'blocked' came into common usage here. What did start in the 60's was a spate of trouble brought about by a vocal majority wanting independence of a sort. But that's another story. Northern Ireland is by and large a forward looking country but we will always have those who dig up grievances from the past and go on and on about them. Sounds kind of familiar.