Chris Froome Article

Bud the Baker

Interesting to read some of the tensions behind the scene, makes you wonder...........................

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/27563999

_75091872_149043240.jpg

Chris Froome's relationship with Sir Bradley Wiggins was tested during the 2012 Tour de France

Chris Froome says contract talks threatened Team Sky career

Tour de France champion Chris Froome has revealed he considered leaving Team Sky in the year before he helped Sir Bradley Wiggins win the race.

Froome was offered a new contract by Sky team principal, Sir David Brailsford, in September 2011.

But Froome, 29, claims the proposed deal failed to recognise his potential as a future winner of the Tour.

"I wanted a contract that reflected being a leader, rather than a domestique," said the Kenyan-born Brit.

"It was getting stressful and I sent Dave a long and quite strong message saying there would be no more going back and forth. I also said that that was the final offer, I was going elsewhere."

Froome eventually signed a three-year contract with Sky in the week after he finished second at the Vuelta a Espana in 2011 and Wiggins finished third. Froome then committed to a new three-year deal in December 2013.

In the years between, he supported Wiggins in his 2012 Tour de France victory then stormed to the yellow jersey himself last July while Wiggins was injured and unable to take part.

Wiggins and Froome could again find themselves riding for Sky in this year's race, which starts in Yorkshire on 5 July.

Froome claims that Brailsford's apparent unwillingness to choose him over Wiggins as team leader ahead of the 2012 Tour made him doubt his future with Sky.

"I wanted Dave to agree that I had a chance to win the Tour de France, or at least not be stuck in a system where I couldn't," he said in a serialisation of his new autobiography, The Climb, by The Sunday Times newspaper.

"Finishing second in Spain after doing so much work for Brad had given me confidence. When other teams proposed contracts that showed me they wanted me as their leader, that made me think: why shouldn't I go for the Tour de France?

"Dave was enthusiastic and convincing and, though I wanted reassurance, I also wanted to stay with the team.

"I thought that what he told me meant that I could go to the Tour de France and have my chance to win it. But he didn't actually say this. Instead, he spoke of two guys riding for GC (General Classification) with one being the designated leader and the other riding as his back-up.

"The details were never teased out. Dave's words would mean just what he chose them to mean.

"To an outsider, unfamiliar with how teams work, it probably seems bizarre that a rider would have to persuade his team to try to allow him to win the biggest race in the sport."

Froome has also insisted Sky had initially failed to match financial packages being offered by other teams and claims the deal for him to stay was eventually only agreed after he sent Brailsford a message outlining his stance.

"From my point of view, they were offering much less than other teams," he added.

"There was a tone that suggested he'd (Brailsford) been upset by my message. In his eyes, I'd given him what amounted to an ultimatum."

Very interesting article. It is such a shame that I have absolutely no interest whatsoever in cycling as otherwise I am sure this would have been a very enjoyable read. Oh well I hope the little fellow gets a chance to win his bicycle race again but I must admit that I will probably not notice if he wins or fails.

Thank you for your effort's in posting that however.

Tom, You will be surprised that there are quite a few cycling enthusiasts on the forum though I'm not one I know some who are. Anyway that was very kind of you to let us all know you are not into cycling. Should probably add I get on my bike most days when home more to burn calories and keep some sort of fitness level up but not into the professional side of the sport but respect those who do bit like cricket also not for me but understand others like it.

Tom, You will be surprised that there are quite a few cycling enthusiasts on the forum though I'm not one I know some who are. Anyway that was very kind of you to let us all know you are not into cycling. Should probably add I get on my bike most days when home more to burn calories and keep some sort of fitness level up but not into the professional side of the sport but respect those who do bit like cricket also not for me but understand others like it.

I would not be surprised in the least to learn that other user's of this fine forum also have an interest in cycling, not in the least bit surprised shall I be.

If we were all interested in the same thing then one would assume that life would indeed be very dull. The entire poulation of Scotland for example cannot fit into our stadium in Greenhill Road and if everyone was as enthusiastic about our wonderful football club as most of us forum user's are then we would have no-one to play, no-one to play at all as they would all be trying to get to our games that are not on as we have no-one to play.

Likewise cycling would also be very chaotic as the roads would be full of lycra clad cycling enthusiasts riding bicycles with great difficulty due to the road being extremely clogged up with other lycra clad cyclists. Because of the cyclist caused congestion on our roads food would be etremely expensive due to the delivery lorries having such difficulty in getting food to the supermarkets due to the chaotic cyclist filled roadways. Obesity would not be such a problem, not only becasue of the fitness aspect of us all cycling but because we could not afford to eat due to the problems with deliveries as I previously pointed out.

Variety is the spice of life. I like what I like and often hate people who are not like me. Sweet diversity of life.

I would not be surprised in the least to learn that other user's of this fine forum also have an interest in cycling, not in the least bit surprised shall I be.

If we were all interested in the same thing then one would assume that life would indeed be very dull. The entire poulation of Scotland for example cannot fit into our stadium in Greenhill Road and if everyone was as enthusiastic about our wonderful football club as most of us forum user's are then we would have no-one to play, no-one to play at all as they would all be trying to get to our games that are not on as we have no-one to play.

Likewise cycling would also be very chaotic as the roads would be full of lycra clad cycling enthusiasts riding bicycles with great difficulty due to the road being extremely clogged up with other lycra clad cyclists. Because of the cyclist caused congestion on our roads food would be etremely expensive due to the delivery lorries having such difficulty in getting food to the supermarkets due to the chaotic cyclist filled roadways. Obesity would not be such a problem, not only becasue of the fitness aspect of us all cycling but because we could not afford to eat due to the problems with deliveries as I previously pointed out.

Variety is the spice of life. I like what I like and often hate people who are not like me. Sweet diversity of life.

Bikes take up a fraction of the space of cars so the roads would be less clogged up if folk ditched their cars and cycled instead.

I love the big cycling events... it's a great chance to top up the old 'cough,cough' pharmaceutical supplies...

And people who slate the Tour de France coming to these shore fail to take account how it involves fans with disabilities..!

The competitors are so full of pills... even the blind can hear them rattling past like two-wheeled pill bottles.

I'm surprised that a gentleman like yourself who likes the Floyd, especially the Syd Barrett era, isn't interested in matters pertaining to bykes even ones without baskets and bells and things to make them look good.

Bikes take up a fraction of the space of cars so the roads would be less clogged up if folk ditched their cars and cycled instead.

Yes, and a lot healthier too.. although I believe TT was not so much vilifying cycling and cyclists, as having a bit of a laugh.

I certainly had a chuckle when I read it thumbup2.gif

Tom we need to stand firm against the rise of the 'Mamil'..... (Middle Aged Men In Lycra)

Young children are regularly seek in tha mooth when forced to view these 'meat & two veg' pushers out and about in oor burgh..!

I call on society to force these 'Mamils' to put their lunch boxes back in their haversacks

and spare the child, by hiding the rod..!

Interesting to read some of the tensions behind the scene, makes you wonder...........................

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/27563999

_75091872_149043240.jpg

Chris Froome's relationship with Sir Bradley Wiggins was tested during the 2012 Tour de France

It wouldn't be the first time that a trusted lieutenant has waited for his tour leader , so that the leader wins the GC. Ulrich waited for Riis and Indurain waited for Delgado even when Delgado failed to win the race . . Indurain won the following consecutive 5 races , the first rider to do so. .

I'm surprised that a gentleman like yourself who likes the Floyd, especially the Syd Barrett era, isn't interested in matters pertaining to bykes even ones without baskets and bells and things to make them look good.

Would this be the type that someone may well give you had they not borrowed it?