Paisley Post Code

RickMcD

An ugly duckling can change they say. And I don't think it's all that bad. How many former industrial towns in the UK don't have some real tatty bits?

I understand why people would say it's run down etc. but I also believe it's on it's way back as a town.

Slow progress is being made but for me , traffic and parking restrictions / charges etc will have to lead the change.

Make it a place people know they can bring the car and park ( after all they drive to braehead) no weekend charges / open the high street up / rates reduced etc ?

Something has to change to open the town to business and the public.

I would love the people to re-claim the town.

Guest TPAFKATS

I would love the people to re-claim the town.

My pitchfork is sharpened, just let me know the arrangements and I'll spark up the torches!

Paisley went through in the 1990s what Kilmarnock is going though now really. Johnnie Walker, a major town employer shuts, a less than flattering TV programme, a high street in decline, and a big out of town shopping mall opening that is easy to drive to.

What Paisley needs is consistent investment in the centre with improvements to the fabric of the buildings and streetscapes.

Paisley has too many shops for today- we're never going to fill all the shops- especially when people can keep them shut and not pay little taxes on them. What we need is a clear plan and vision to improve the town centre, increase people living in the town centre and convert some of the buildings to flats- but not just selling them to the buy to let crowd!

I don't agree you can't just keep building flats get shops IN! Whats the point in having a town full of people who then go out of town to shop! I hate shopping centres, I want to walk into town and go to PAISLEY shops - have people spending their Saturday (well those who don't go to watch Paisley's finest) shopping and eating in Paisley.

Unfair? Really? What bit?

It's a few years since I spent any discernible time in the town but my best mate used to own a flat up next to the Observatory. It was a nice place, some kind of old nursing home and he had the top floor flat - a one bedroom starter flat which offered a turret where he put a round dining room table. The flat itself was really nice and the location looked good, especially if you drove there, but any time I did the walk from Gilmour Street to his house, or when I remembered my crampons and a bottle of oxygen and tackled those ridiculously steep stairs the same thing kept on blighting the area whether that was the array of discarded drunks cuddled up to their Buckfast bottles, often in a passed out state, or the collection of syringes that appeared to litter the route.

More recently my son obtained free tickets for the St Mirren v Hearts match at the end of the season. My girlfriend came to the game with us. Being the daughter of a former Bilston Glen miner she's hardly pretentious or posh, but in a bid to get out of the traffic when leaving the stadium I turned down into the West End to what looked like the remnants of Dresden after the allied bombing in 1945. She quickly pressed the central locking button on the console of the car just so she could feel that little bit safer. She's not usually that squeamish after all she'd already bravely walked from where we parked the car in McKean Street, up Murray Street to the stadium past piles of dog shit along crumbling pavements.

It's not a pretty town. There's nothing really to see there, and nothing to bring people in. Even in it's current derelict state the town planners haven't worked out a way to keep the traffic flowing or how to get people parked. And it's only going to get worse too. It's a shame cause clearly the town is handy for the commuters to Glasgow but the residents of the town just don't see to give a f**k about it.

On here in the past I've mentioned a superb restaurant in Wishaw with a large whisky collection which has people travelling to it from all over the central belt. The owner is a man called Derek Mathers, a Paisley man who used to work as a chef in one of the eateries through there. He's managed to get the Artisan restaurant listed and ranked highly in the Whisky Societies directory of places to visit and as a result it's gaining a bit of a name for itself from those who enjoy a dram from all over the world. You'd have thought that a business like that would have been perfect in a town next to an international airport but instead he's yet another Buddie that's slipped through the net. Never mind, your loss is certainly my gain. Having a place like that within walking distance is superb.

1. that area was always used by drunks as it was off the main drag, 2. parts of the west end from the little I have seen over the last few years is not a nice place - that doesn't mean the whole of the place is or indeed the whole of Paisley is. 3. Not a pretty town? the town centre is beautiful, the view from my window as I type this is the braes, Barshaw Park is nice, St.Mirren Park is outstanding - there are nice areas and things in Paisley and 4. SOME OF US DO. Have a nice day :-)

Too much quoting of he who should be ignored for my liking on this thread. In any case, since I happened to see the drivel posted, thought I might post a few wee pictures that I just took this evening after a wee walk into Paisley with the wife and child. Aye - nothing nice to see here... rolleyes.gif

Of course that's if you don't bother to actually open your eyes.

_20140606_183007_zps7a002e36.jpg

_20140606_183237_zps32913dad.jpg

IMG_20140606_165413416_zps3c37b8b6.jpg

IMG_20140606_165435655_HDR_zps18aca939.j

IMG_20140606_165526947_HDR_zpsb1e4125c.j

IMG_20140606_165634302_zpsa2ed1ded.jpg

IMG_20140606_165737903_HDR_zpsf8770446.j

IMG_20140606_165755509_zpscf453bd8.jpg

IMG_20140606_171658269_zps4ae0ca18.jpg

Too much quoting of he who should be ignored for my liking on this thread. In any case, since I happened to see the drivel posted, thought I might post a few wee pictures that I just took this evening after a wee walk into Paisley with the wife and child. Aye - nothing nice to see here... rolleyes.gif

Great stuff, Za. And Paisley is plum ugly? None so blind as those who just don't look.

Great stuff , smashing pics . The Abbey is a fantastic building but could have added some pics of Coats Memorial.

Edited by Callum Gilhooley

Great stuff , smashing pics . The Abbey is a fantastic building but could have added some pics of Coats Memorial.

The memorial is due for a £5M refurbishment :)

Ps: bit harsh asking for pics of it , the guy was out with his family , not doing a portfolio of the town :P

I'll do some pics of Coats in a couple of weeks when I'll be there, both interior and exterior. smile.png

That would be great Bud. I`m glad there are some on here that take their role as Paisley ambassadors seriously. Not like that f**kin part timer who took the earlier ones....... ohmy.png Oh wait , Eh, i mean ..... keep up the good work Bud .whistling.giftongue.pngthumbup2.gif

I don't agree you can't just keep building flats get shops IN! Whats the point in having a town full of people who then go out of town to shop! I hate shopping centres, I want to walk into town and go to PAISLEY shops - have people spending their Saturday (well those who don't go to watch Paisley's finest) shopping and eating in Paisley.

We do need shops, but there are plenty of empty units, and space to do that. With the best will in the world the west end won't ever all be filled although that old co-op really should have been made a Lidl etc.

We do need shops, but there are plenty of empty units, and space to do that. With the best will in the world the west end won't ever all be filled although that old co-op really should have been made a Lidl etc.

That's what I mean fill the shops, why the keep wanting to build flats to bring more people in when the retail is so bad. I know its like everywhere - good and bad but the couple of times ive been up the west end in the last few years it was horrible. It was your classic walking up well st and 2 guys started fighting, knives oot and folk shouting oot the window. last time ive walked thru the west end!

That's what I mean fill the shops, why the keep wanting to build flats to bring more people in when the retail is so bad. I know its like everywhere - good and bad but the couple of times ive been up the west end in the last few years it was horrible. It was your classic walking up well st and 2 guys started fighting, knives oot and folk shouting oot the window. last time ive walked thru the west end!

Chicken and Egg isn't it. Converting empty shops to give more people living in the area would give increased football, it wouldn't look as bad, give companies more confidence in opening up.

• 4 weeks later...