Paisley Post Code

RickMcD

There is no doubt that Paisley has had it's fair share of issues over the last few decades with the decline in industries that used to be the talk of the town.

In my opinion Paisley has huge potential to grow more so than places like Motherwell, Airdrie and Wishaw. It requires town planners with vision, experience and a proven track record.

Name me another town or city in Scotland or England that has within a 1 mile radius of the centre

- an international airport

- a mainline train station

- a major motorway

- a university

- a large FE college

- an observatory

- historic Abbey as well as many other places of historic interest

- arts centres

- a top flight fitba team

A great deal of money has been spunked on the tram line in Edinburgh.

Just imagine if Paisley was awarded some development grants to transform the industrial buildings along the River Cart to create an environment for people to live and be able to commute.

Or look at other ways to encourage new hitech companies into the area to tap into the student market or create apprenticeships for school leavers.

Paisley is no longer the industrial giant it was. However it has so much going for it and I believe has more potential for diversification and growth than the area you stay in.

Really Slash?

Look, I think we can ignore the significance these days of places like the Abbey, art centres, and the observatory as places of significance when talking about diversification and growth. Paisley has had an Abbey for hundreds of years and it's down it no good whatsoever as other towns have overtaken it whilst Paisley is stuck in reverse gear.

And the reason Paisley is a bit of a wasteland these days is precisely down to it's transport links. Look at the road and rail network. On both counts Paisley is on the arse end of Glasgow. The "main" railway line you talk about links Glasgow with Ayr, Gourock and Greenock. None are likely to boost Paisleys fortunes industrially, or even in terms of tourism. The Motherwell line on the other hand is the junction between lines going to Glasgow, Edinburgh, and London, with the south bound rail line taking in many of the most important English cities on route to London.

As for the roads well yet again Paisley is let down by it's location. You're part of the M8 links Greenock to Glasgow and if you want to go to Glasgow by road you are going to have to tolerate a high possibility of congestion on the road. Whilst Motherwell residents find that their town straddles both the M74 and M8 and without any congestion it also offers quick and direct access to the M80 meaning all the major roads North, South, East and West are covered.

The airport should have been a boon to Paisley but it hasn't been in all the years it's been in existence. Instead most of the traffic leaving the airport immediately heads east to Glasgow and to Lanarkshire. And if you want to talk about growth, your should remember that in Ravenscraig, all of which sits in the current Motherwell boundary, there are plans in place for 3,500 new homes, a new shopping centre, a new railway station linking Glasgow with Edinburgh and already constructed is one of the leading indoor sports centres in Scotland.

You are right about too much money having been spunked on Edinburgh, but at the other end of the scale there really are towns we'd be better off not pissing money away on. Motherwell clearly is expanding and growing. Paisley is stagnating and dying and whilst the reason is mostly geographical, it's also demographical. Paisley is a shitehole generally filled with people who don't give a f**k. Motherwell is a bit better.

Tell me one town that has the architecture and lay out as nice as Paisley in the central belt. The town is littered with beautiful parks

FFS you stay out Motherwell , Hamilton area they are shit holes compared to paisley

Easy, Biggar, Peebles, Carnwath, Lanark, West Linton - and that's just places I've driven through this weekend. Paisley certainly is littered, but "beautiful parks" is more than stretching it. Barrshaw Park is nothing special at all and I'm struggling to think of any significant green places around Paisley whilst here I'm living on top of the Clyde Valley with some of the most breathtaking views and green spaces in the central belt. As for the lay out I presume you are referring to the many drunks and junkies that appear to be laid out on the pavement in certain parts of Paisley - I'll give you that one. I've certainly never seen as many of them in other towns. You certainly can't be talking about the one way road system....:rolleyes:

Edited by Stuart Dickson

there is some amount of shite in this thread! So faraway you point out that Poz is a tourist and not the same as living there - I live here and I am quite happy too.

SD going on about postcodes getting refused insurance - I am not sure where all comes under PA1 but my gran is in PA1 in Whitehaugh Avenue - we all know that is one of paisley's most sought after areas.

Drunks and junkies laid out on the pavements - really?

Paisley may not be a quant little town with children in straw hats and rabbits bouncing along beside whilst bluebirds fly overhead but it is not as bad as some folk are making out. If the bloody council could just sort themselves out and realise we need more retail not bloody flats we could get the town busy again. Yeah there are drunks and junkies but good people far outweigh them.

no away back to your perfect little neighbourhoods whilst I sit looking out my window taking in the view of the braes thinking how I am possibly going to get through the sea of bodies littering the streets to get to the gym :-)

Edited to say neighbourhoods!

Edited by Miss Saint

there is some amount of shite in this thread! So faraway you point out that Poz is a tourist and not the same as living there - I live here and I am quite happy too.

SD going on about postcodes getting refused insurance - I am not sure where all comes under PA1 but my gran is in PA1 in Whitehaugh Avenue - we all know that is one of paisley's most sought after areas.

Paisley may not be a quant little town with children in straw hats and rabbits bouncing along beside whilst bluebirds fly overhead but it is not as bad as some folk are making out. If the bloody council could just sort themselves out and realise we need more retail not bloody flats we could get the town busy again. Yeah there are drunks and junkies but good people far outweigh them.

no away back to your perfect little neighbours whilst I sit looking out my window taking in the view of the braes thinking how I am possibly going to get through the sea of bodies littering the streets to get to the gym :-)

Indeed.

While I have to laugh at the "junkie ridden streets" posts (© STU) the image portrayed by others is equally as absurd. (© Poz)

Overall I would think that Paisley is of a similar stature to other built up towns, having a mix of decent and not so decent people.

I've lived there for 30 years and was reasonably happy, it had plenty of decent enough places to keep me occupied but, as many have mentioned, the "buzz" has gone.

Not my place to say how or why but a shame.

I'm quite happy where I now live, not as much of both the good and bad of bigger towns but certainly much less of the bitterness and hatred that the OF poison spreads throughout the west coast.

Not perfect, but it's home.

Edited by faraway saint

no away back to your perfect little neighbours whilst I sit looking out my window taking in the view of the braes thinking how I am possibly going to get through the sea of bodies littering the streets to get to the gym :-)

PA1 is a very mixed bag of addresses... Covers most of the town centre, upto the edge of the West End, Mill Street and all of Seedhill, from the Cathedral upto the Railway line all the way out Glasgow Road, from Arkleston and Hawkhead all the way to the Glasgow boundary.

The reason that the insurers will want to look at each on PA1 is to determine which street. There is no doubt that those on the North Side of Glasgow Road, and those anywhere East of Arkleston/Hawkhead Roads, are in the lowest risk categories... the rest is pretty mixed and too difficult to categorise in one grouping.

Oh and I'm in Whitehaugh too.. **waves to Miss Saint's granny**

OK Stuart - I've made some modifications based on your feedback, but the question remains.

Name another town or city in Scotland, England, Wales & N. Ireland [/size]that has within a 1 mile radius of the centre:[/size]

- a major motorway

- a university

- a large FE college

Stoneybridge..?

OK Stuart - I've made some modifications based on your feedback, but the question remains.

Name another town or city in Scotland, England, Wales & N. Ireland that has within a 1 mile radius of the centre:

- a major motorway

- a university

- a large FE college

Are the airport & motorway both within a mile?

Not trying to demean your point in the slightest, just trying to keep your points as facts.

Agreed - obviously depends on your starting point and whether you drive, walk, or take a jet pack like Jet-Set Dicky.

I've modified the question to work on a basis of 2-mile radius "crow-flies" from the historic centre of Paisley being the Abbey and the crossing of the Cart which allows for a greater distance.

Please note I'm not suggesting that there is not another town or city - after all I've lived and worked in a variety of locations around the UK that boast many of the criteria.

I just don't think there can be that many towns or cities that have these criteria so concentrated and close to the historic centre.

That's why I feel with the right vision and investment Paisley has a superb chance to evolve and develop moving forward than Motherwell, Wishaw and Hamilton.

Slash, if you've done some travelling over the years you'll know that at most destinations the first mile from the airport is taken up with Car Parks, Car Hire companies, and Containers for Air Freight. Paisley is perhaps unusual in having the airport on it's doorstep because in most other area's airports tend to be out of town to reduce the effects of air and noise pollution on local residents. But the same question remains - this has been the case since 1932 when the airport was first built, and since 1966 when it became an international airport - yet Paisley has been in decline for all of this period. So what exactly has the airport done for Paisley in the past? And what will be so different about the future that it will one day fire up growth for the town?

Paisley has been neglected over the years. The blame for that has to lie with local councillors and residents but I don't see any real desire to turn it around.

PA1 is a very mixed bag of addresses... Covers most of the town centre, upto the edge of the West End, Mill Street and all of Seedhill, from the Cathedral upto the Railway line all the way out Glasgow Road, from Arkleston and Hawkhead all the way to the Glasgow boundary.

The reason that the insurers will want to look at each on PA1 is to determine which street. There is no doubt that those on the North Side of Glasgow Road, and those anywhere East of Arkleston/Hawkhead Roads, are in the lowest risk categories... the rest is pretty mixed and too difficult to categorise in one grouping.

Oh and I'm in Whitehaugh too.. **waves to Miss Saint's granny**

Just passed Whitehaugh 5 minutes ago.

Gave Granny Spangle a wee wave.

My beloved wee Granny dude will be delighted with the attention :-)

attachicon.gifAbbey-Airport.jpg

2 mile "crow-flies" distance from historic centre Abbey.

Fair enough.

Still, as I've said it's been there since the 1930's and since it became an International Airport in 1966 Paisley has been in decline. If the argument is that Paisley has historic buildings that should be attracting tourists on the way to the airport then you have to say the problem lies squarely with the residents of the town and with the council for failing to promote Paisley effectively.

Indeed.

While I have to laugh at the "junkie ridden streets" posts (© STU) the image portrayed by others is equally as absurd. (© Poz)

Overall I would think that Paisley is of a similar stature to other built up towns, having a mix of decent and not so decent people.

I've lived there for 30 years and was reasonably happy, it had plenty of decent enough places to keep me occupied but, as many have mentioned, the "buzz" has gone.

Not my place to say how or why but a shame.

I'm quite happy where I now live, not as much of both the good and bad of bigger towns but certainly much less of the bitterness and hatred that the OF poison spreads throughout the west coast.

Not perfect, but it's home.

Can you tell me what part of my post is absurd? My mate Michael and I are keen photographers. We do spend days in Paisley. We do drink coffee in two or three good places near the museum. We do eat in Cafe Lusso. We do wander into the Abbey. We have been up the top of the observatory. We have photographed inside and outside of Coats Memorial Church. We have been down to the falls at the Watermill. We have photographed the recently cleaned up town hall. We have photographed some of the bridges in Paisley. We have walked up the top of Saucilhill to photograph the view of the town. We do talk up the town when abroad. I was born there but don't live there, he does live there. We do visit the town's Premier League football club, but we don't buy souvenirs from the club shop cos' it disnae' exist now.

What's absurd about any of my post?

Edited by pozbaird

Can you tell me what part of my post is absurd? My mate Michael and I are keen photographers. We do spend days in Paisley. We do drink coffee in two or three good places near the museum. We do eat in Cafe Lusso. We do wander into the Abbey. We have been up the top of the observatory. We have photographed inside and outside of Coats Memorial Church. We have been down to the falls at the Watermill. We have photographed the recently cleaned up town hall. We have photographed some of the bridges in Paisley. We have walked up the top of Saucilhill to photograph the view of the town. We do talk up the town when abroad. I was born there but don't live there, he does live there. We do visit the town's Premier League football club, but we don't buy souvenirs from the club shop cos' it disnae' exist now.

What's absurd about any of my post?

Oh dear.

Your post indicates Paisley is like Paris in the springtime.

The absurdity is that you don't live their, you pop in from time to time to have coffee & take pictures, lol.gif quite different from living/breathing the place day in and day out.

While, as I said, painting a picture of drug users and drunks is a very obscure view so is ignoring the reality, hence how absurd your post was. I thought it was Disneyland you were talking about.

It's nice to "big the place up", I like New York but I'm not in a position to make too many claims that would carry any real weight to any views on the city.

Oh dear.

Your post indicates Paisley is like Paris in the springtime.

The absurdity is that you don't live their, you pop in from time to time to have coffee & take pictures, lol.gif quite different from living/breathing the place day in and day out.

While, as I said, painting a picture of drug users and drunks is a very obscure view so is ignoring the reality, hence how absurd your post was. I thought it was Disneyland you were talking about.

It's nice to "big the place up", I like New York but I'm not in a position to make too many claims that would carry any real weight to any views on the city.

Paris in the Springtime? No I don't claim that or anything like it. I'm merely pointing out that far from being a shithole, there are good things in Paisley. My original 'absurd' post also pointed out that I was raised in Johnstone and live in Cumbernauld - both shitholes I assume?

The only absurd thing is that I actually took you off ignore long enough to respond to your inane drivel.

Paris in the Springtime? No I don't claim that or anything like it. I'm merely pointing out that far from being a shithole, there are good things in Paisley. My original 'absurd' post also pointed out that I was raised in Johnstone and live in Cumbernauld - both shitholes I assume?

The only absurd thing is that I actually took you off ignore long enough to respond to your inane drivel.

Oh dear, upset. bye1.gif

I'll miss you. lol.gif

PS Love the "inane drivel". If getting all upset when people don't agree with you really drives you to "ignore" maybe you should start a "I love Poz" forum.

Edited by faraway saint

Nah it's not. It's 2.5 miles according to Google Maps unless you move the town centre of Paisley to Shortroods or something. rolleyes.gif

Wrong again , Stuart. The distance from Paisley Town Hall to Glasgow Airport according to Google Earth is 1.3 miles. You really must stop making things up!

Wrong again , Stuart. The distance from Paisley Town Hall to Glasgow Airport according to Google Earth is 1.3 miles. You really must stop making things up!

Just checked distance from Town Hall to airport, 2.1 miles, according to google maps?

There's no way that's just over a mile.

Maybe that's "as the crow flies" which is ok if you're a crow. tongue.png

From the airport to Love Street right at our old ground, it (Google maps) says 1.3 miles which is what I would have guessed, near enough.

Edited by faraway saint

At least you lucky buddie baisturts have had a Paisley postcode at one time or another.

I've been under G for Weegieland aw my life apart from the times i went tae Millport for my holidays. Even then it was during the Glesga Fair.

f**kin Boo !

Were you really talking to yourself? Go on, admit it? You were, weren't you. Even as the crow flies it's 1.6 miles. Did you forget to have to get to the terminal building to get on or off a plane?

Edited by Stuart Dickson

Name another town or city in Scotland, England, Wales & N. Ireland that has within a 2 mile "crow-flies" radius of the historic centre:

- a major motorway

- a university

- a large FE college

Just checked distance from Town Hall to airport, 2.1 miles, according to google maps?

There's no way that's just over a mile.

Maybe that's "as the crow flies" which is ok if you're a crow. tongue.png

From the airport to Love Street right at our old ground, it (Google maps) says 1.3 miles which is what I would have guessed, near enough.

Absolutely right, faraway. Exactly as Slash said. Try reading the posts before you reply! Just over 2 miles by road.