The Head And The Heart

beyond our ken

One thing that intrigues me on the recent independence debates, not just here but in every media, is the different values people place on what their head tells them and what their heart tells them.

the simple fact is, they are one and the same, it is all in the head. those things you attribute to your heart are what you think because you feel it-not because you know it. it is really important for people, regardless of how they vote, to understand that the so-called heart voice is just as valid and important as the head voice. In many cases, it is even more important

Things we consider to be facts are often only OUR interpretation of information- why else would statistics, often considered to be the hardest of facts, be so hotly contested by different parties?

There are people on this forum who decry what people want as it is based on "feelings", I can think of one person in particular who describes independence as a "fanciful" notion. a bit rich for someone who makes a part of their living writing fiction (which may include what he posts here) if there were no fanciful notions then he would be driving a bus for a living (whoops!). The fact is, it is YOUR notion, whether it is pro or anti, your notion is how you feel and it is is based on who you are and what happened to you as you became the person that developed your notion. it is very true to you even if it is hard to explain to someone else .

So, follow the heart-voice (if you want to call it that) as well as the head but remember they both come from the same place. do not under-value it or allow others to do so, because all the things that are YOU will make your decision the correct one for YOU. The fact is (no pun intended), there will be potential good and bad outcomes from whatever decision you make (maybe the only provable fact about this whole debate), you don't have to justify your decision to anyone else as there is no-one standing here today watching events unfold who has been on the same journey as yourself. By all means, have a good think before you reach a conclusion, but don't let anyone bully you into undervaluing what that thing you call your heart tells you.

Whilst I'm perfectly aware of what you are referring to , BOK , I think that as far as supporting Saint Mirren FC , for most of us it would be from the heart . Perhaps a simmering passion that drives us to support a team that lose more than they win , disappoint more than they please but when they do win and when they do please it is far,far sweeter .

A lot of it is belief . We believe that we will win , even if non Saints fans /bookmakers/pundits and general media say we wont . We don't listen to them because we have our own belief in our team that sometimes delivers against great odds. .

Maybe we don't have huge expectations , maybe we are happy with a decent cup run and a major trophy , maybe just every once in a while and that is what makes it so special. We have made an emotional investment in a Club , for all different reasons . Will it be fantastic in the future ? Will we win the top league ? Probably not . Will we win a major trophy sometime soon ? Maybe. Players come and go but we are Saint Mirren FC , we make it . Without us it wouldn't exist. We can even move stadiums and still be the same because it is still us.

Whilst I'm perfectly aware of what you are referring to , BOK , I think that as far as supporting Saint Mirren FC , for most of us it would be from the heart . Perhaps a simmering passion that drives us to support a team that lose more than they win , disappoint more than they please but when they do win and when they do please it is far,far sweeter .

A lot of it is belief . We believe that we will win , even if non Saints fans /bookmakers/pundits and general media say we wont . We don't listen to them because we have our own belief in our team that sometimes delivers against great odds. .

Maybe we don't have huge expectations , maybe we are happy with a decent cup run and a major trophy , maybe just every once in a while and that is what makes it so special. We have made an emotional investment in a Club , for all different reasons . Will it be fantastic in the future ? Will we win the top league ? Probably not . Will we win a major trophy sometime soon ? Maybe. Players come and go but we are Saint Mirren FC , we make it . Without us it wouldn't exist. We can even move stadiums and still be the same because it is still us.

St Mirren and Scottish Independence - there's a good comparison. Well done.

If Scotland votes Yes next week then I give it days before we start plummeting down to the bottom of the league, and we start calling for the heads of anyone and everything associated with the Yes Campaign whether it's their job to manage the country, or their job to pick the font used on government literature.

There are people on this forum who decry what people want as it is based on "feelings", I can think of one person in particular who describes independence as a "fanciful" notion. a bit rich for someone who makes a part of their living writing fiction (which may include what he posts here) if there were no fanciful notions then he would be driving a bus for a living (whoops!).

Whoever it is that describes independence as a "fanciful" notion (and you would have quoted that if he'd actually written it, so I'm guessing you've created this character, a made-up poster) I would doubt he'd ever decry independence.

I certainly wouldn't. :)

However I would denigrate (indeed I believe I may have done on here!) THIS piss-awful shabby, scared, half-hearted attempt at independence that will leave Scots with less power than before, keeping the British pound, monarch, and so much else that Scots love about Britain.

Going down Eck's proposed road to independence would be like driving the independence bus over a cliff.

The fact is, it is YOUR notion, whether it is pro or anti, your notion is how you feel and it is is based on who you are and what happened to you as you became the person that developed your notion. it is very true to you even if it is hard to explain to explain.

I'm probably wholly misreading this.... But are you talking "GOD"? Edited by bluto

No voters are trying to make everyone believe they are the only people making rational cold, light of day decisions based only on the facts and solid proven reason.

Of course that is bollox.

NOBODY is doing that on either side because there are no facts - just interpretation and opinion.

So there can't be a rational decision.

People are making decisions on gut instinct.

By definition that is not rational but that's OK.

f**k rational. Choose life and go with your gut.

Genetically we're programmed to do exactly that so quite why No fanboys think they are superior is beyond me.

What is interesting is the number who don't know how to make gut decisions.

That's because they;ve spent their whole lives being told what to do.

They fear risk so they do what everyone else tells them to do.

You'll recognise them. They are the pathetic creatures meowling about how they have "no facts" with which to make a decision. Man up and pick a side FFS. Either way the sun will still rise in the East, MacDonalds will still sell horsemeat dressed up as "quality beef", Dickson will still claim not to be a Saints fan and Faraway Saint will continue to be an annoying twonk.

Whoever it is that describes independence as a "fanciful" notion.........

I would doubt he'd ever decry independence..........

However I would denigrate .........

Brilliant! And not pompous at all. Nosiree. Not pompous at all.

I could read your posts all night.

You should write a novel.

You'd give Jilly Cooper a run for her money.

Before I contact the nearest publisher and give them the heads up on your eagerly anticipated debut, have you ever written a racy sex scene involving horsey people before? If not I suggest you have a wee go, post your attempt and let us provide some constructive comments.

BAWA - we're family.

Brilliant! And not pompous at all. Nosiree. Not pompous at all.

I could read your posts all night.

You should write a novel.

You'd give Jilly Cooper a run for her money.

Before I contact the nearest publisher and give them the heads up on your eagerly anticipated debut, have you ever written a racy sex scene involving horsey people before? If not I suggest you have a wee go, post your attempt and let us provide some constructive comments.

BAWA - we're family.

I have.