Things To Do Before You Die... In Bute

West Ham Saint

Things to do in Bute, not before you die in Bute!

After travelling up to see the first home win of the season next Saturday I've taken the opportunity to spend a week with you good people.

Staying near Lochgilphead, does anyone have any good (or not so good) suggestions on places that are a must see or must do?

If not I'll only spend a week in a pub and I can do that anywhere!

Thanks in advance

There are two Saints fans that travel from there I'm sure they will point you in the right direction. There are far better places to go so why there ?

Been to a number of other places in the past so thought I'd try somewhere different. Never done to isles either so will get a ferry over for a day I'm sure.

Wee drive up to Crinan - jump on one of the boats that goes out to the Corryvreckan Whirlpool. Unique, and depending on the weather, a wee bit scary. Kilmartin Valley is also close by, if neolithic monuments are your thing.

I'd second that. You can also head along to Loch Sween where you have Castle Sween and Kilmory Chapel to look at as well as a stunning beach at Kilmory. You've also got the beaver colony trial thingy on Knapdale.

You do mean lochgilphead and not lochgoilhead ? Lots to do.( if lochgilphead).

1. You can help me chip off roughcast in cairnbaan (2 miles from beaver trail).

2. I can give you a number for sandy, fast water taxi to Jura, islay, scarba or where ever you wish to go, he is an amazing guy and his knowledge of the area is fantastic

3. A wee day out on Gigha ( south of lochgilphead, on route to campbeltown you get to tayinloan where the ferry is, 25 minutes on ferry) is pretty good, on foot is fine also as you can hire a bike once your over, nice place, you can almost see America..

4. PM me, there is lots more..

You do mean lochgilphead and not lochgoilhead ? Lots to do.( if lochgilphead).

1. You can help me chip off roughcast in cairnbaan (2 miles from beaver trail).

2. I can give you a number for sandy, fast water taxi to Jura, islay, scarba or where ever you wish to go, he is an amazing guy and his knowledge of the area is fantastic

3. A wee day out on Gigha ( south of lochgilphead, on route to campbeltown you get to tayinloan where the ferry is, 25 minutes on ferry) is pretty good, on foot is fine also as you can hire a bike once your over, nice place, you can almost see America..

4. PM me, there is lots more..

Fuxake. He SAID (typed) Lochgilphead! It's definitely GILP!

Has no Buddie else read the OP?

I agree about Gigha. Good bar and the best Garden in Scotland (when the Rhodos and azaleas are out - May/June).

It's Bute he's winding up, however, no other islands..... :rolleyes:

Edited by bluto

Fuxake. He SAID (typed) Lochgilphead! It's definitely GILP!

Has no Buddie else read the OP?

I agree about Gigha. Good bar and the best Garden in Scotland (when the Rhodos and azaleas are out - May/June).

It's Bute he's winding up, however, no other islands..... :rolleyes:

Fuxake blut's, calm your beans. Was just asking, you never know.. Bute is not really close to lochgilphead, however it is fairly close to lochgoilhead !

Anyway, I am climbing mheallmhor today, not told the kids yet, they will be stoked..

Working at keills just now blut's,( most southerly point past tayvallich, apart from Danna) I've taken a picture of the paps every day, even twice a day. Making a compilation and I will share, they started white last Monday , you take these views for granted, then at lunchtime otters grace us with their presence..

Fuxake blut's, calm your beans. Was just asking, you never know.. Bute is not really close to lochgilphead, however it is fairly close to lochgoilhead !

Anyway, I am climbing mheallmhor today, not told the kids yet, they will be stoked..

Working at keills just now blut's,( most southerly point past tayvallich, apart from Danna) I've taken a picture of the paps every day, even twice a day. Making a compilation and I will share, they started white last Monday , you take these views for granted, then at lunchtime otters grace us with their presence..

I concede.

And I'm jealous. :P

and see your PM

I concede.

And I'm jealous. :P

and see your PM

Ha ha, yeah got it, might even post a wee picture of my view every working day.. Yes behind erines, awesome on a clear day, you can quite clearly see the planes coming in and out of prestwick, goat fell, I need say no more.. :-)

Things to do in Bute, not before you die in Bute!

After travelling up to see the first home win of the season next Saturday I've taken the opportunity to spend a week with you good people.

Staying near Lochgilphead, does anyone have any good (or not so good) suggestions on places that are a must see or must do?

If not I'll only spend a week in a pub and I can do that anywhere!

Thanks in advance

From lochgilphead head out to Loch Sween, Cycle the crinnan cannal, Go see the cup and ring stones in Kilmartin glen. Visit Kilmory nap and see the old grave stones , Wee trip over to Ghigha and maybe Campbelltown, if you go that far you should definately head down to Southend. If your stuck in Campbeltown you can drive your car endlessly round the square like the natives.

Carnaserie Castle Ardmore point, Luing Beavers at Taynish

Great place if you get the weather

I'd maybe think about making a will first but after that if you are talking about the island, I wish I was going. I spent a load of childhood Paisley Fairs in Rothesay and it and the whole island have never lost their magic for me. The island is fractionally bigger than Jersey (I looked it up after visiting Jersey years ago) and although I admit there's a lot more to do in Jersey and the weather can be better, I'd take Bute any time. I know a lot wouldn't.

Just read during the week that The Pavillion in Rothesay is about to have a pile of money thrown at it and I'm glad to hear it. Not sure all the locals agree but there's a fella as contributes here quite often who can tell us. When I were a lad, I thought the Pavillion looked out of place but now I can't imagine Rothesay without it.

From lochgilphead head out to Loch Sween, Cycle the crinnan cannal, Go see the cup and ring stones in Kilmartin glen. Visit Kilmory nap and see the old grave stones , Wee trip over to Ghigha and maybe Campbelltown, if you go that far you should definately head down to Southend. If your stuck in Campbeltown you can drive your car endlessly round the square like the natives.

Carnaserie Castle Ardmore point, Luing Beavers at Taynish

Great place if you get the weather

At the top of Carnasserie Castle there's a fine collection of 19th century vandalism.

Among the ornately carved 'tags' is one by a guy from Paisley, dated sometime in the 1800s.

I'm sure I've got a photo of it somewhere, will try to find it..

I'd maybe think about making a will first but after that if you are talking about the island, I wish I was going. I spent a load of childhood Paisley Fairs in Rothesay and it and the whole island have never lost their magic for me. The island is fractionally bigger than Jersey (I looked it up after visiting Jersey years ago) and although I admit there's a lot more to do in Jersey and the weather can be better, I'd take Bute any time. I know a lot wouldn't.

Just read during the week that The Pavillion in Rothesay is about to have a pile of money thrown at it and I'm glad to hear it. Not sure all the locals agree but there's a fella as contributes here quite often who can tell us. When I were a lad, I thought the Pavillion looked out of place but now I can't imagine Rothesay without it.

like yourself I spent a lot of holidays on Bute and worked here in the early 80's . Sadly a lot of people come to the island and never leave Rothesay there is loads to see and do over here looking to Arran from the beach at killcatten bay is breathtaking there are seals there also.. Only thing is it's the wrong time of year.

At the top of Carnasserie Castle there's a fine collection of 19th century vandalism.

Among the ornately carved 'tags' is one by a guy from Paisley, dated sometime in the 1800s.

I'm sure I've got a photo of it somewhere, will try to find it..

Get Bluto to send you a copywhistling.gif

I'd second that. You can also head along to Loch Sween where you have Castle Sween and Kilmory Chapel to look at as well as a stunning beach at Kilmory. You've also got the beaver colony trial thingy on Knapdale.

My grand parents used to live at Castle Sween before the caravan park existed. Spent all my primary school summer holidays there the stuff of dreams for a youngster. Still take a run round from my dad's every year (he's at West Loch Tarbert now near Kenacraig) and still fish all round the area. God's own country in the right weather.

My grand parents used to live at Castle Sween before the caravan park existed. Spent all my primary school summer holidays there the stuff of dreams for a youngster. Still take a run round from my dad's every year (he's at West Loch Tarbert now near Kenacraig) and still fish all round the area. God's own country in the right weather.

My family had caravans up there so used to spend the entire summer on Loch Sween. Unfortunately, everyone has now given them up, but once I start a family I'll definitely go back.

We used to do a lot of mackerel fishing during the summers, had a particular spot next to the McCormaig Isles and we would pull in bucket fulls in jig time!

You're right, if the weather is great I would say it's my favourite place in the world! So much to see and do up there, and the seafood is bloody fantastic!