778 Minutes In The League And 1 Goal So Far

There comes a time for all players when their time is up. That time has come for Thommo. The games seem to pass him by, despite our penchant for playing the ball long far too often. He doesn't win anywhere near the amount of headers that he either should or used to. That's only to be expected as he gets older.

The question is, why do we persist in luumping it long when it pays on dividend and negates the players in our midfield who have good technical ability like Mallan, McMullen, Goodwin, Agnew and others like Howieson, McLear and Morgan.

With two young strikers like Shankland and Gallagher, with technical ability and mobility, they should be our strike force now, with Thommo coming on for the last twenty minutes or so as a different option.

Each week that passes it gets more frustrating watching him struggle even more. Time to take him out of the firing line.

Like many others have said, I think Thommo is being hung out to dry with the tactics Murray employs.

If we played to our strengths and got crosses in to the box the Thommo would score. Unfortunately, he appears to be the man out on the wing at times...

Every single corner Mallan puts into the box is made for a player with ability in the air to attack. Fantastic, inswinging corners. If we had anyone with real ability in the air we would be getting far more from these deliveries. It's time to face the facts, unfortunately Thommo is far from the player he was a few years ago, through no fault of his own.

Every single corner Mallan puts into the box is made for a player with ability in the air to attack. Fantastic, inswinging corners. If we had anyone with real ability in the air we would be getting far more from these deliveries. It's time to face the facts, unfortunately Thommo is far from the player he was a few years ago, through no fault of his own.

Have to agree with you, his legs have gone and it's painful to see a man of his stature struggle week in week out.

Our record from corners has always been poor, even when Thommo was in his pomp. Ever since reading 'The Numbers Game' I've actually stopped applauding when we get a corner...the stats on scoring from a corner are rank!

I agree that he's not the players from a couple years ago, but I do think we could utilise him far better.

Edited by aldo_j

Our record from corners has always been poor, even when Thommo was in his pomp. Ever since reading 'The Numbers Game' I've actually stopped applauding when we get a corner...the stats on scoring from a corner are rank!

I agree that he's not the players from a couple years ago, but I do think we could utilise him far better.

He woul be best utilised from the bench, for the good of the team. He's 37, time to give him a break and stop expecting him to be the hero - pass that baton onto our younger strikers. Play to their strengths - lumping it long with the players we have in midfield and out wide, is a complete waste of talent.

Is that the one that shows thats is better to get a throw in the final 3rd than a corner?

My dad used to talk about the 5 corner rule, he reckoned we used to score from roughly every 5th corner (when we were good back in the day) , this became the 10 corner rule and is now probably about 100 corner rule bangin.gif .

Is that the one that shows thats is better to get a throw in the final 3rd than a corner?

My dad used to talk about the 5 corner rule, he reckoned we used to score from roughly every 5th corner (when we were good back in the day) , this became the 10 corner rule and is now probably about 100 corner rule bangin.gif .

Yeah, pretty much! The U.K. Is the only place where fans celebrate winning a corner and that statistically it's better to take a short corner and to start playing again.

The three corners we had in the second half were, in my opinion, hit to the wrong area. A packed 6 yard box with a 6ft plus goalkeeper with good hands is not the best place to stick the ball. I would much rather, assuming Thommo is on, see an out swinger to the penalty spot with the hawk approaching in a burst of speed from just outside so that he is facing the goal and the keeper is moving across his box. A bullet header would be difficult to stop. I've been saying this for years and we persist with the pointless in swingers.

• 1 month later...

The question is about his goals this year rather than 2 years ago - given he is 37 now and has been out the team with injuries and poor performances since his last good season 2 years ago. Gary Teale also had a peach of a season in 2012/3 but hardly kicked a ball after then and retired as a player a year ago

Edited by Dibbles old paperboy

Whether or not he has been brilliant or not, Shankland has started the last 2 games partnered by Gallagher and has scored in both games. Many people were calling for Shankland to be sent back to Aberdeen in January to free up a wage and allow Rae to bring in another striker. Even when he is coming on for 15 or 20 minutes against tired legs Thommo still looks off the pace / disinterested / unlikely to score an equaliser or winner. Do I blame Thommo for results when he is out the side? No I don't! He got a decent run of games last year after he came back from injury and scored 2 league goals last season. With half the season played this year he is on 1 league goal. All I 'blame' Thommo for is his own performance and attitude when he is on the park... even when given a spot kick to take he doesn't look like scoring these days. I'd rather we called time on his career at Saints now than sent our top scorer back to Aberdeen and hoped Thommo recovered some fitness / confidence / enthusiasm and scored a few goals to keep us in the Championship next season without seeing many signs in the last 18 months he can do this for us anymore.

Unbelievable the abuse Thompson gets when he hasn't played in six weeks from.the start. I can't believe how many forget what he did for us and he deserves respect. The current crop are absolutely shit and haven't delivered anything either up front. Shankland might with service but Gallagher couldn't hit a barn door

Unbelievable the abuse Thompson gets when he hasn't played in six weeks from.the start. I can't believe how many forget what he did for us and he deserves respect. The current crop are absolutely shit and haven't delivered anything either up front. Shankland might with service but Gallagher couldn't hit a barn door

What abuse exactly is Thompson getting on here. He's taken a 50% wage cut this season and now plays about 15 minutes a game and even then has been just another ineffectual sub when he does come on. Gallagher who "couldn't hit a barn door" has twice as many goals in the league as the Hawk.