Forth Road Bridge

shull

Why do you all keep responding to him? I've had him on ignore for years but see too much of his rants on my phone. If I didn't believe that basically he's thick I'd be wondering if he's a puppet master pulling all your strings. Or possibly pushing his hands up your arses depending on what kind of puppets. Some of you Nationalist guys don't seem to know when you're making tits of yourselves.

I don't respond directly anymore, Rick, that's basically the point I was making. Both times!

:)

It's beside the sos/samaritan phone boxes, so now you know. If you are troubled after dropping in yer pound, there's always someone to talk to.

I'll say hello to JJ and Elvis there, after the Match.

Nonsense, they love their bridges. There's bridges everywhere.

Head down the west cost of Florida and all you see is bridges everywhere over the intercoastal waters, crossing the same waterways several times.

Swampland? they built one over 22 miles of swamp.

They even built one about the same distance over a lake.

That's all true, and while there are tolls in florida the majority of roads are toll-free. i think the bridge you refer to is also toll free. I drove down that way a few years ago

I'm sure you have noticed, it is a big place. and quite a dry one too, in the main

on average, which is what I was getting at, roads are cheaper to build in most other countries than they are in the boggy, soggy british isles. Unless you have a mountain to drill through or go over. Tolling doesn't really work here-it takes government money to make major roads infrastructure projects work meaning tolling is a way of making the poor taxpayer pay twice. Surely Dicko would be against that?

I was answering his assertion that he preferred the "american system", which in fact does not exist

Edited by beyond our ken

Chesapeake Bay Bridge.

7kms of bridge and tunnel - probably the most exhilarating crossing I've done, anywhere.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chesapeake_Bay_Bridge

A small toll.

That's a different one, the bridge tunnel is over 17 miles from shore to shore.

Would love to cross though, looks amazing.

Edited by davidg

Guest TPAFKATS

i dont follow you. are you actually claiming that a 1.5 BILLION pound project was delayed for 4 years because we had lost 64 MILLION in tolls? u do know this is only about 5% of the bridge cost right?

1.5 billion sounds roughly the same amount that labour Holyrood administration returned to Westminster as an underspend

That's all true, and while there are tolls in florida the majority of roads are toll-free. i think the bridge you refer to is also toll free. I drove down that way a few years ago

I'm sure you have noticed, it is a big place. and quite a dry one too, in the main

on average, which is what I was getting at, roads are cheaper to build in most other countries than they are in the boggy, soggy british isles. Unless you have a mountain to drill through or go over. Tolling doesn't really work here-it takes government money to make major roads infrastructure projects work meaning tolling is a way of making the poor taxpayer pay twice. Surely Dicko would be against that?

I was answering his assertion that he preferred the "american system", which in fact does not exist

Oh FFS. You know most of the time you post like your average journeyman. Nothing spectacular and nothing all that stupid.....and then you hit a run like this. Seriously with these posts, which I presume you've made in all earnest, your challenging PC clAnger for the Mark Crilly / Gary McVie / Jim Gardiner award for services to the forum.

Are you seriously contending that the UK has a more challenging set of conditions to build and maintain highways in than a country that see's extremities in the amount of snow that is dumped on it in some areas, to extreme road melting heat in others. Are you seriously contending that it's harder to build a water crossing in Scotland than it is to build one that is earthquake and hurricane resistant in the US? You argue that the US doesn't have waterways to deal with, yet you say you've been to Florida. Did you bother driving down to the Keys? Did you take a trip along the hurricane battered Atlantic Coast? IWhat about down the Mexican Gulf side through places like Clearwater? If you'd done so you may have noticed, if you had your eyes open, that it's all f**king bridges, and the scenery is utterly spectacular. If you had done you might have got some clues to what those bridges have to withstand in that many of the main roads that have markers on them showing that they are "evacuation routes". In Scotland the only thing we've got to evacuate from is to get away from a ridiculous set of nationalist politicians who'd tax the f**k out of us. Are you seriously contending that it was harder to send workers to the Raith Interchange than it is to send workmen out to maintain the road in Death Valley?

Yet the roads in the US are in general excellently maintained, wonderfully wide, and outside of the main cities you'd never see the kind of congestion we have inflicted on us every single f**king day at Newhouse near Eurocentral. The Forth Road Bridge didn't have to contend with earthquakes or hurricanes, yet it failed because it couldn't handle the corrosion caused to the structure by the kind of salty water it was built to cross. Irrespective of who runs our government we're pish at roads and pish at road management and if scrapping road tax and car tax and handing roads to private companies that collect tolls to maintain our roads to a decent standard would solve that issue then I'm 100% behind it.

Edited by Stuart Dickson

Oh FFS. You know most of the time you post like your average journeyman. Nothing spectacular and nothing all that stupid.....and then you hit a run like this. Seriously with these posts, which I presume you've made in all earnest, your challenging PC clAnger for the Mark Crilly / Gary McVie / Jim Gardiner award for services to the forum.

Are you seriously contending that the UK has a more challenging set of conditions to build and maintain highways in than a country that see's extremities in the amount of snow that is dumped on it in some areas, to extreme road melting heat in others. Are you seriously contending that it's harder to build a water crossing in Scotland than it is to build one that is earthquake and hurricane resistant in the US? You argue that the US doesn't have waterways to deal with, yet you say you've been to Florida. Did you bother driving down to the Keys? Did you take a trip along the hurricane battered Atlantic Coast? IWhat about down the Mexican Gulf side through places like Clearwater? If you'd done so you may have noticed, if you had your eyes open, that it's all f**king bridges, and the scenery is utterly spectacular. If you had done you might have got some clues to what those bridges have to withstand in that many of the main roads that have markers on them showing that they are "evacuation routes". In Scotland the only thing we've got to evacuate from is to get away from a ridiculous set of nationalist politicians who'd tax the f**k out of us. Are you seriously contending that it was harder to send workers to the Raith Interchange than it is to send workmen out to maintain the road in Death Valley?

Yet the roads in the US are in general excellently maintained, wonderfully wide, and outside of the main cities you'd never see the kind of congestion we have inflicted on us every single f**king day at Newhouse near Eurocentral. The Forth Road Bridge didn't have to contend with earthquakes or hurricanes, yet it failed because it couldn't handle the corrosion caused to the structure by the kind of salty water it was built to cross. Irrespective of who runs our government we're pish at roads and pish at road management and if scrapping road tax and car tax and handing roads to private companies that collect tolls to maintain our roads to a decent standard would solve that issue then I'm 100% behind it.

Wouldn't these tolls hurt the small businesses that are meant to be the backbone of capitalist Tory society.

Would you be willing to bail them out when the tolls become far higher than road tax would ever be?

Like most things you propse it is totally immoral and illogical.

As usual a Tory wants to break the backs of the workers for little in return.

You always know when a Tory is lying.

It's everytime they open their arrogant mouths.

How any working class person can vote for a party that hates you I will never know.

Wouldn't these tolls hurt the small businesses that are meant to be the backbone of capitalist Tory society.

Would you be willing to bail them out when the tolls become far higher than road tax would ever be?

Like most things you propse it is totally immoral and illogical.

As usual a Tory wants to break the backs of the workers for little in return.

You always know when a Tory is lying.

It's everytime they open their arrogant mouths.

How any working class person can vote for a party that hates you I will never know.

Your prejudices are the biggest problem you have. I wouldn't imagine it would be that positive a trait for a policeman.....but then who knows. It is Police Scotland after all.

Your prejudices are the biggest problem you have. I wouldn't imagine it would be that positive a trait for a policeman.....but then who knows. It is Police Scotland after all.

Says the man who is prejudiced about his own class, country and the people within it.

The man who is so thick he thinks bombing children solves anything.

What an odious bigoted individual you are.

As for Police Scotland being prejudiced, that does make me laugh.

Prejudice is best left to people like you who blame Islam or the SNP for every ill in the world.

Edited by PCCABE

Says the man who is prejudiced about his own class, country and the people within it.

The man who is so thick he thinks bombing children solves anything.

What an odious bigoted individual you are.

Rubbish. I'm not prejudiced in the slightest against Scots, or against the working classes. I've told you before I'm extremely proud of the country I'm from and where I choose to live in, and I'm extremely proud of my background. Indeed I am so proud of it that I will defend it against pricks like the Natsi's who would seek to destroy it for their own political agenda. Fortunately 55% of Scots who voted in the Independence Referendum felt exactly the same way otherwise we'd be living in a financially retarded state heading for Third World levels of poverty due to an over reliance on the oil price to pay for everything the SNP promised.

As for your emotive pish about bombing children, where the hell have I advocated that? Go on......provide the evidence....:rolleyes:

Rubbish. I'm not prejudiced in the slightest against Scots, or against the working classes. I've told you before I'm extremely proud of the country I'm from and where I choose to live in, and I'm extremely proud of my background. Indeed I am so proud of it that I will defend it against pricks like the Natsi's who would seek to destroy it for their own political agenda. Fortunately 55% of Scots who voted in the Independence Referendum felt exactly the same way otherwise we'd be living in a financially retarded state heading for Third World levels of poverty due to an over reliance on the oil price to pay for everything the SNP promised.

As for your emotive pish about bombing children, where the hell have I advocated that? Go on......provide the evidence....:rolleyes:

Are there no children in Syria you thick f**kwit?

Is it ok to bomb children as long as they're not western children.

You agree with bombing Syria and children will die but that's ok in your black and white world.

When will you realise the Tory party are anti-Scottish?

Chesapeake Bay Bridge.

7kms of bridge and tunnel - probably the most exhilarating crossing I've done, anywhere.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chesapeake_Bay_Bridge

A small toll.

That's a different one, the bridge tunnel is over 17 miles from shore to shore.

Would love to cross though, looks amazing.

Quite right, David.

Wrong link:

This'll do it, I think

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chesapeake_Bay_Bridge-Tunnel

It was a wonderful drive. Stopping now and then at the man-made islands amid the water, just to enjoy, before diving back under the waves again...

My bloody Barclaycard was rejected at the Toll, though... and someone in Manchester, England wanted to speak to me (in her funny, indecipherable accent) about it. As there was a longish line of cars behind my wee hire... I demurred and gave the gate-keeper cash.

(I'd forgotten all about that, till now...)

And aye, Rick - size does matter.

Edited by bluto

Top marks for quoting the visit usa holiday brochure

there is huge variance in the quality of roads in the US, if you go to St louis you will find the roads are great, cross the river to East St Louis ( a different city and state) and you don't go far before things look very different. Places like Houston are just the same and go outside the big cities, many country towns are served by very basic roads.

the average cost of building a road in the US is $1-5 million /mile (excluding land costs) and the average cost per mile in the UK is £1.8-4.8 , land costs are what makes Britain more expensive a place to do busines than in large land masses like the US so factor in a large figure for that too. Now America is a land of huge disparity in almost every way but the huge bulk of it is is dry, solid ground and most roads go in straight lines in a way that can't be achieved. in the UK making them faster and easier (therefore cheaper) to build.

Building on the scale that they have in the past, maybe they still do, also introduces economies.

Weather on the whole achieves far greater extremes in the US, but few places there see the constant rainfall that Scotland in particular does. Extremes of temperature are a problem but roads melting? Yes you see it in old movies, but it is relatively rare these days and is easy and cheap to repair cos guess what-it is dry and warm most of the time where these things arise. Even the extreme cold is less of a problem than the wet.

Salt water corrosion caused the Forth Bridge Failure? You must be lying or know something the government isn't telling us because the reports are of a cracked weld in an AMERICAN designed bridge. Hurricane battered? Did you see the footage of the deck moving (as it should and was designed to do) by several feet in every direction in 100mph- plus winds just a few years ago? The bridge is failing due to age and overuse, not corrosion. Did you know the plan is to keep it open as a dedicated public transport link after re-furb once the new one opens, so it cant be that fecked, can it?

Earthquake zones in the US? How many are there? I don't know but I feel confident there are only a few of them, meaning the extra cost in protecting them is absorbed in the massive overall average cost to the country.

In answer to your question, I didn't go as far south as the keys (did I bother? you ask-what a dumb way to put it) but didn't see a lot in the way of tolls as i crossed the network of huge elevated roads across the bays & rivers going south from Tampa, nor did i see any tolls after the interstate on the drive from Orlando to Panama City, so tell me how does the "american system" of toll roads pay for that network? State and local taxes pay for that on every purchase you make in a restaurant or a store. And the tolls are generally very low indeed, compare that to the UK's toll road on the M6 which is an under-used and expensive white elephant. Tolls don't work in the UK

I wonder, have you noticed the reports of flooding in the UK? there have been a few, you know. Believe it or not, the floods have damaged roads and it's very costly to to put it right-every country has it's challenge.

You have come up with your usual mix of adding things I didn't say, insults, googlings, bad jokes and sweeping generalisations to try and cover up the comment you made about preferring a system that simply does not exist (see slarti's post). Of course, this makes your likees every bit as thick and mean spirited as yourself.

Edited by beyond our ken

there is huge variance in the quality of roads in the US, if you go to St louis you will find the roads are great, cross the river to East St Louis ( a different city and state) and you don't go far before things look very different. Places like Houston are just the same and go outside the big cities, many country towns are served by very basic roads.

the average cost of building a road in the US is $1-5 million /mile (excluding land costs) and the average cost per mile in the UK is £1.8-4.8 , land costs are what makes Britain more expensive a place to do busines than in large land masses like the US so factor in a large figure for that too. Now America is a land of huge disparity in almost every way but the huge bulk of it is is dry, solid ground and most roads go in straight lines in a way that can't be achieved. in the UK making them faster and easier (therefore cheaper) to build.

Building on the scale that they have in the past, maybe they still do, also introduces economies.

Weather on the whole achieves far greater extremes in the US, but few places there see the constant rainfall that Scotland in particular does. Extremes of temperature are a problem but roads melting? Yes you see it in old movies, but it is relatively rare these days and is easy and cheap to repair cos guess what-it is dry and warm most of the time where these things arise. Even the extreme cold is less of a problem than the wet.

Salt water corrosion caused the Forth Bridge Failure? You must be lying or know something the government isn't telling us because the reports are of a cracked weld in an AMERICAN designed bridge. Hurricane battered? Did you see the footage of the deck moving (as it should and was designed to do) by several feet in every direction in 100mph- plus winds just a few years ago? The bridge is failing due to age and overuse, not corrosion. Did you know the plan is to keep it open as a dedicated public transport link after re-furb once the new one opens, so it cant be that fecked, can it?

Earthquake zones in the US? How many are there? I don't know but I feel confident there are only a few of them, meaning the extra cost in protecting them is absorbed in the massive overall average cost to the country.

In answer to your question, I didn't go as far south as the keys (did I bother? you ask-what a dumb way to put it) but didn't see a lot in the way of tolls as i crossed the network of huge elevated roads across the bays & rivers going south from Tampa, nor did i see any tolls after the interstate on the drive from Orlando to Panama City, so tell me how does the "american system" of toll roads pay for that network? State and local taxes pay for that on every purchase you make in a restaurant or a store. And the tolls are generally very low indeed, compare that to the UK's toll road on the M6 which is an under-used and expensive white elephant. Tolls don't work in the UK

I wonder, have you noticed the reports of flooding in the UK? there have been a few, you know. Believe it or not, the floods have damaged roads and it's very costly to to put it right-every country has it's challenge.

You have come up with your usual mix of adding things I didn't say, insults, googlings, bad jokes and sweeping generalisations to try and cover up the comment you made about preferring a system that simply does not exist (see slarti's post). Of course, this makes your likees every bit as thick and mean spirited as yourself.

You included sums, he'll ignore your post on that basis....

According to the Met office our wettest ever year 2012 in the UK gave us an annual rainfall of 1300mm. Bearing in mind this was the wettest ever recorded in the UK it still left us trailing the average annual rainfall figures in Hawai'i, Florida, Louisiana, Mississipi, and Alabama and we were only just ahead of New York, North Carolina, Coneticut, Kentucky, Arkinsas and Georgia. Hawai'i is on average 50% wetter than the UK. The major difference between Hawai'i and Florida and the UK of course is that they don't have nearly so many days where "light drizzle" is falling. Over there it all tends to dump down in short rainy seasons which of course is far more extreme than the UK.

You don't think the US has the same problems as the UK when it comes to flooding? Really. Do yourself a favour and Google Texas and Kansas floods - 29th November 2015. Have a look at the footage of New Orleans in the wake of Katrina. Google the floods left annually across the US as it gets battered by Hurricanes and Tropical storms that make Desmond look like someone left a hairdryer on. Look at the footage of the devastation left by each Tornado. And earthquakes? You do know that California alone has had 7,127 earthquakes of M1.5 or greater recorded in the last year alone don't you?

America is indeed huge and diverse. State taxes do help fund state projects, but those lucky Yanks don't have any States that charge anything like our 20% VAT and yet it's roads are fully funded and put the disaster in the UK to shame.

Its not just the US though. Look at other successful toll roads across Germany and France. Look at their road infrastructure. Isn't it miles better?

In the UK we allow our government to tax the f**k out of us and yet because the majority of it is hidden, included in the price of everything we buy, income tax, VAT, fuel duty - we don't make the same demands of our government and local authorities that other countries do. That's why each road upgrade project in the UK lands up like a shit storm like the mess around the Raith Junction or at Newhouse currently.

Oh and aye...corrosion is what caused the weakening of the bridge. Engineers already concluded that 10 and 5 years ago and it was why the spend £m's putting in dehumidifiers and acoustic equipment to listen for wires snapping. Its certainly not down to one welder as you'd have us all believe