Retail Trends Of 2015

Stuart Dickson

Apparently we've all bought Nutrabullets, Spiralisers, Beard Oil, Lager, Athleticswear in particular trainers, hair dye - particularly grey, blue and pink, sex toys, lager, Prosecco, Halloween shit, coconut water and oil, Christmas jumpers and BB8 driods.

Big spending increases happened immediately after the General Election - it appears the Conservatives winning with a majority assured the public that the economy was stable - during the Rugby World Cup, Halloween, and on Black Friday. Apparently it's been a bumper year.

Next year we'll be buying green wrap round leather skirts, eating sugar free and buying Brussels spouts instead of kale.

Apparently we've all bought Nutrabullets, Spiralisers, Beard Oil, Lager, Athleticswear in particular trainers, hair dye - particularly grey, blue and pink, sex toys, lager, Prosecco, Halloween shit, coconut water and oil, Christmas jumpers and BB8 driods.

Big spending increases happened immediately after the General Election - it appears the Conservatives winning with a majority assured the public that the economy was stable - during the Rugby World Cup, Halloween, and on Black Friday. Apparently it's been a bumper year.

Next year we'll be buying green wrap round leather skirts, eating sugar free and buying Brussels spouts instead of kale.

From that list, I bought trainers and lager. Fcuk all to do with the Tories. I simply needed new trainers and fancied a beer.

Is that a tradition in Wishaw ?

From that list, I bought trainers and lager. Fcuk all to do with the Tories. I simply needed new trainers and fancied a beer.

Same for me actually Poz. I may have bought a few lagers to celebrate the Tories winning but beyond that nothing i purchased this year was influenced by politics....or by marketing - at least as far as i can make out. I did visit the pub once during the Rugby World Cup when a game was on but i didnt go specifically for the rugby. Thing is none of these came from me. Its what retail expert Mary Portas surmised with the help of retail experts for her programme last night on Channel 4.

I missed out one fad that was mentioned though.Adult colouring books. Aye seriously. Apparently that's a "thing" these days

Same for me actually Poz. I may have bought a few lagers to celebrate the Tories winning but beyond that nothing i purchased this year was influenced by politics....or by marketing - at least as far as i can make out. I did visit the pub once during the Rugby World Cup when a game was on but i didnt go specifically for the rugby. Thing is none of these came from me. Its what retail expert Mary Portas surmised with the help of retail experts for her programme last night on Channel 4.

I missed out one fad that was mentioned though.Adult colouring books. Aye seriously. Apparently that's a "thing" these days

Nike trainers and some Tennents Black lager for me. Gave it a go - really nice lager.

I'll be sure and raise a glass to toast the Tories tonight. I love to see Tories toasted.

It was. I'd never heard of it before. It seems it's some sort of independent producer too. Vodka usually gives me a killer hangover too but I'm ok today. I'll certainly be adding a couple of bottles to my collection of malts

The only spirit I drink is Bourbon (Hudson Bay or Woodford Reserve), I cannot drink Whisky or even smell it without feeling sick. Had the conversation about this before on here, and I have met a few people who are exactly the same. Apparently it's to do with the different way Bourbon and Whisky are distilled. Anyway... That advert you linked to just looks yummy. Fancy trying that.

Tried that a while ago. It is nice but gets very sickly, very quickly. You would probably appreciate it more if you just had one or two during a drinking session.

Edit: I think it was that make anyway, definitely a toffee vodka.

It definitely didn't get sickly last night. Although it was sweet tasting it wasn't that kind of thick way that makes it feel sickly. I guess I'm not doing very well putting it into words but I'd imagine putting Irn Bru or Coke into your vodka would be far more sickly.

There was a MacAllan Amber Liqueur that they stopped making 3 or 4 years ago that tasted of Maple Syrup. That was truly delicious, but you could only have one or two as it did get sickly. The best way to use that was to take it at the end of a meal instead of a dessert. You can still get bottles on collectors websites but they are very rare these days and pretty expensive. I've still got one unopened bottle but I'll be drinking it rather than selling it.

I made gooseberry vodka this year from the bumper crop of gooseberry from my garden - I added 750 ml of Smirnoff and 18 table spoons of sugar to a Demi jar - and left it for four months in my summer house - I then strained the mixture and let it stole before repeating - I've served it from a glass decanter with ice and cloudy lemonade- it's a winning combination!