20mph Coming To All Towns And City's

Guest TPAFKATS
This thread is about getting cars to go slower. I have no idea why you are talking about congestiom charges but I am happy to give a view.

In an ideal world you would be correct. Build the infrastructure correctly and world peace would reign.

Unfortunately we lack the money and the space to fix the problem properly.

The only other alternative is to tax the problem people and use the money to fund the replacement transport types. We can argue about ring fencing of that tax as a third issue I suppose.

You'll have noticed my original response was after cycling & congestion had been mentioned. Or mibees you didn't...
Anyways, it's all part of the wider approach to transport policy.
In theory it's a good idea but without creating the correct environment and infrastructure it doesn't work.
Other countries seem to be able to manage to do it though e.g. Denmark. They must have so much more space and money than UK has?

Sent fae ma fone

55 minutes ago, tony soprano said:

You'll have noticed my original response was after cycling & congestion had been mentioned. Or mibees you didn't...
Anyways, it's all part of the wider approach to transport policy.
In theory it's a good idea but without creating the correct environment and infrastructure it doesn't work.
Other countries seem to be able to manage to do it though e.g. Denmark. They must have so much more space and money than UK has?

Sent fae ma fone

Its wuite possible the Danes are just better at getting on with solving problems than us. We do like a bloody whinge dont we?

7 hours ago, Slartibartfast said:

Well, they say you learn something new every day, and I just have.

This (http://www.slatergordon.co.uk/media-centre/blog/2015/06/can-cyclists-break-the-speed-limit-or-does-the-law-only-apply-to-motorists/) is interesting though. It says that there may be local by-laws that impose speed restrictions on cyclists. Cyclist can be charged with "cycling furiously" if the police consider them to be cycling too fast, though not actually be charged with speeding. In general, you are right though. Silly me.

The local by-laws would be the ones applied in Royal Parks or cycle tracks , would you believe. I know of one guy who was done with "cycling furiously " but he admitted to the rozzers that he was doing 35mph because he wanted the kudos! That particular law was brought out in the early 20th c because horse drawn cab drivers said cyclists were scaring their horses . .:P