SNP - Soft on crime

Stuart Dickson

18 minutes ago, Stuart Dickson said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-37544706

Even the former inmate details how it allowed him to commit crime and stay at home. The SNP really are f**king muppets

I must be going blind in my old age. I have read the artivcle several times and can find no mention of him committing crime when tagged. In fact, I heard the complete interview on Radio Scotland this morning and he emphasised that tagging allowed him to be at home with his family and rebuild his life. He has not been involved in crime since.

What is your alternative? Lock him up for ever? Send him to an extermination camp? No doubt these would be in keeping with your views.

Edited by smcc

What is your alternative? Lock him up for ever? Send him to an extermination camp? No doubt these would be in keeping with your views.

I'd want to see him serve his sentence in jail. It's quite simple really. The victims of crime deserve the right not to have to worry about the prospect of coming across the person that has damaged their life in the street or in shops.

Yet the SNP want to push ahead with tagging technology that G4S admits has blackspots. And it pushes more work and pressure onto a seriously under funded and failing Police Scotland.

Crazy, yet still the Natsi Cultists queue up to defend a failed government

I'd want to see him serve his sentence in jail. It's quite simple really. The victims of crime deserve the right not to have to worry about the prospect of coming across the person that has damaged their life in the street or in shops.

Yet the SNP want to push ahead with tagging technology that G4S admits has blackspots. And it pushes more work and pressure onto a seriously under funded and failing Police Scotland.

There is no one answer as to 'what victims want' when it comes to those who have committed crimes against them. You also clearly don't have the requisite knowledge or experience of penology or the criminal justice system to put forward a legitimate argument as to what does or doesn't work when it comes to recidivism, or knowledge of current research linked to these areas.

The electronic tagging proposal is one that's been in the works for a while, and is based on solid evidence regarding rehabilitation of offenders and allowing them to reintegrate and become useful members of society rather than being disproportionately stigmatised as a result of imprisonment with relation to the particular 'crimes' that many have been convicted of. It may or may not result in improvements to re-offending rates, but that remains to be seen. If it does, then in the long term, policing costs, court costs, and prison costs will all be lower.

I don't know why I'm even trying to be reasonable and discuss the reality of the situation when I know it will be ignored, but hey, at least I've tried!

And there it is, completely ignores the roaring arse he made in his opening post hoping no-one will notice and carries on with his defamatory comments (I've been speaking to his imaginary lawyer, defo defamation). Think I'll blub to a mod about it, now, might as well get the full set.

1 hour ago, zurich_allan said:

There is no one answer as to 'what victims want' when it comes to those who have committed crimes against them. You also clearly don't have the requisite knowledge or experience of penology or the criminal justice system to put forward a legitimate argument as to what does or doesn't work when it comes to recidivism, or knowledge of current research linked to these areas.

The electronic tagging proposal is one that's been in the works for a while, and is based on solid evidence regarding rehabilitation of offenders and allowing them to reintegrate and become useful members of society rather than being disproportionately stigmatised as a result of imprisonment with relation to the particular 'crimes' that many have been convicted of. It may or may not result in improvements to re-offending rates, but that remains to be seen. If it does, then in the long term, policing costs, court costs, and prison costs will all be lower.

I don't know why I'm even trying to be reasonable and discuss the reality of the situation when I know it will be ignored, but hey, at least I've tried!

Yet G4S say there are GPS Blackspots where there cannot monitor tagged offenders, and if someone who is tagged goes into an area where they aren't supposed to be it's the police who have to respond to the call. I know fine well the pressures the Police Force is under Zurich Allan, and I know damned well that most of them are not wanting this roll out. The police force is already stretched to paper thin levels, so much so they will have extreme difficulties if there is ever a major incident in Central Scotland. And with this policy the SNP Government have raised their workload whilst yet again freezing recruitment. 

11 hours ago, Stuart Dickson said:

No ,people queued up to point out your lies and label you a shit stirring lying blinkered troll. 

25 minutes ago, cockles1987 said:

Go on Stuart, provide us with proof that G4S has admitted that its tagging technology has blackspots. I really hope you're not going to provide a newspaper article quoting a unnamed source.

It was in the news report yesterday. They showed a map of Tannochside and it had loads of blackspots. 

Yet G4S say there are GPS Blackspots where there cannot monitor tagged offenders, and if someone who is tagged goes into an area where they aren't supposed to be it's the police who have to respond to the call. I know fine well the pressures the Police Force is under Zurich Allan, and I know damned well that most of them are not wanting this roll out. The police force is already stretched to paper thin levels, so much so they will have extreme difficulties if there is ever a major incident in Central Scotland. And with this policy the SNP Government have raised their workload whilst yet again freezing recruitment. 

But the new proposals are not solely about Police Scotland, they're about a culture change in dealing with offenders from pre-trial right through to eventual release from prison as well as alternative court disposal methods when it may be appropriate. They're about different approaches to trying to rehabilitate and reintegrate past offenders and instil values that might help them see a future beyond the punitive part of their sentence.

This is just scratching the surface. You really should look at some organisations like 'Positive Prisons, Positive Futures' who have been doing incredible work in the area of prison and justice reform for a while now. I was liaising with them through my work just last week, so have personal experience of the good things they are doing.

Oh, and you're wrong by saying that most police don't want this rolled out. Of course some won't. And of course some will. But in my personal experience, both the police at a senior level and the Scottish Prison Service are all for initiatives that will increase the possibility of changing offenders' behaviour for the better and giving them a fresh chance at life. Again, in my personal experience of dealing with these people on a frequent basis.

1 hour ago, zurich_allan said:

But the new proposals are not solely about Police Scotland, they're about a culture change in dealing with offenders from pre-trial right through to eventual release from prison as well as alternative court disposal methods when it may be appropriate. They're about different approaches to trying to rehabilitate and reintegrate past offenders and instil values that might help them see a future beyond the punitive part of their sentence.

This is just scratching the surface. You really should look at some organisations like 'Positive Prisons, Positive Futures' who have been doing incredible work in the area of prison and justice reform for a while now. I was liaising with them through my work just last week, so have personal experience of the good things they are doing.

Oh, and you're wrong by saying that most police don't want this rolled out. Of course some won't. And of course some will. But in my personal experience, both the police at a senior level and the Scottish Prison Service are all for initiatives that will increase the possibility of changing offenders' behaviour for the better and giving them a fresh chance at life. Again, in my personal experience of dealing with these people on a frequent basis.

Well the ones I know don't want it rolled out, especially not at the moment with the Police Service under so much pressure. The last thing they need is to take on the work normally handled by the prison service. 

I've been told absolute horror stories about just how ridiculously stretched the police force are right now. One story relayed to me was about a dead body found next to the M8 in Livingston. Apparently press were taking photos of the scene when the police first arrived. As a result they had to send officers to each family of a missing person whilst they waited on the body being identified just incase the press reported the story. In the meantime the force was so short handed they couldn't send two police officers to deal with a shoplifting case in Edinburgh involving two minors. Add that kind of story to the one surrounding the events of the Lamara Bell case on the M9 and many other incidents where it's obvious that staffing levels right across the service are low, and then add in this initiative where police officers are going to have to deal with anyone with a tag who has had a drink whilst on a sobriety order, or deal with anyone with a tag who has wandered out past curfew time and you've got to see how this is all going to work out in the end. 

This is about cost cutting. Reform say that the cost of tagging a prisoner is £8 - £16 per day whilst putting them in prison costs £73 per day. Hopefully any savings will be ploughed right back into Police Scotland who are going to have to pick up the pieces on this. 

Go on Stuart, provide us with proof that G4S has admitted that its tagging technology has blackspots. I really hope you're not going to provide a newspaper article quoting a unnamed source.

It's in the article he originally quoted. You know, the one that shows SNPBaaaad and has a former inmate detailing how it allows him to commit crime and stay at home...

It's in the article he originally quoted. You know, the one that shows SNPBaaaad and has a former inmate detailing how it allows him to commit crime and stay at home...

Thank you. And you'll also see in the article that it says Robert Johnson has been tagged more than once. So even the guy put forward as the good news story has re-offended.

Did you just edit your post about recruitment freezes?

Why do that Jake? Is it because you suddenly realised that even the SNP admit they've abandoned their pledge to recruit 1000 extra officers that were in place under Jack McConnell and that the number of officers in Scotland is at a seven year low

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/08/09/police-scotlands-21-million-budget-black-hole-threatens-jobs/

Did you just edit your post about recruitment freezes?

Why do that Jake? Is it because you suddenly realised that even the SNP admit they've abandoned their pledge to recruit 1000 extra officers that were in place under Jack McConnell and that the number of officers in Scotland is at a seven year low

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/08/09/police-scotlands-21-million-budget-black-hole-threatens-jobs/

No not quite. I have my reasons for removing it so stop trying to score points against everyone.

4 hours ago, The Real Zippy said:

Noticeable that the fat Nazi is still quoting that bastion of truth The Telegraph........

Which paper would you like me to quote then? The Scotsman, The Herald, The Evening Times? How about The Express, STV, or the BBC? Or how about The National? The story is in all of those news outlets. The National put it's usual propeganda spin on it after months of boasting that the SNP was keeping it's pledge, to now claiming that Police Scotland were delighted the SNP had done a u-turn on their pledge - but the story is still there from April 21st. 

Edited by Stuart Dickson