The Lawn Tennis Thread

shull

44 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Williams loses the first set 6-4

To give Williams some credit she did improve later in the set.

Maybe she'll keep improving in the 2nd set. 

Her opponent isn't quite the nobody I thought, she's the world number 76. :rolleyes:

Williams oot.

6-4, 6-3.

Her best shot was the unforced error, played plenty of them.

Time to hang up her bat. 

6 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Murray second on today, roughly about 3, hope its a wee bit later, I might not get home till just after 3:30 after visiting the dentist. 

C'mon Murray. 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

Murray wins the first game, the noise on centre court with the roof on and the rain lashing down is quite annoying.

Early days, hopefully Murrays experience see's him through this, it would be disaster if he lost this match. 

39 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Murray wins the first game, the noise on centre court with the roof on and the rain lashing down is quite annoying.

Early days, hopefully Murrays experience see's him through this, it would be disaster if he lost this match. 

Murray, slight;y against the run of play, wins the first set 6-3.

5th game was the turning point, broke Penistons serve from nowhere.

That's the difference. 

Overall it wwent very well, Henman pointed out that he was employing a new stance for serving and once he sorted that out he was streets ahead

Plenty of chances to be aggressive, which he hadn't always been taking in recent years and he seems confident  with his body and how it holds up, no sign of the slight limo that persisted into last year

A kind draw just got kinder thanks to the weather, his next opponent will be playing 2 days in a row and with both candidates not in their best form that could  even mean a long match for the winner while Murray gets a rest, he will be well happy with how the day panned out and there was a wee glint of steel in him again.

Edited by beyond our ken

19 minutes ago, beyond our ken said:

The run of play was never against him

If you look at the points scored in the first 5 games, or even knew what you were talking about, you would have seen that Peniston was easily the more likely to break.

When the break came in the 6th game it was right out of the blue, Penistion was 30-0 up.

So, the first set, which I thought I made quite clear, the run of play WAS against him.

From The Express match report....................

It was a shaky start for the two-time Wimbledon champion, but his break midway through the first set appeared to calm any nerves he had.

Edited by faraway saint

39 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Wee Dan, Evans for @beyond our ken, fighting for his life and bravely takes the 3rd set on a tie break to go into the 4th 2-1 down in sets. 

Gutsy performance. 

Wee Dan, despite a brave performance, out, 3-1 in sets.

The usual domino effect of the Brits at Wimbledon is well on its way. 

I watched the extended highlights of the Norrie match and I have to give him credit as he was more positive/aggressive throughout against a player who was playing well.

Oh, the Murray match, this is from the BBC website........................

Peniston did not look daunted in the opening stages and was the better player as he created two break points against Murray.

Murray was particularly struggling to get his forehand working, leaking errors off that wing, but showed his ability to problem solve and survive before taking the opening set.

So, it's the number 5 seed Tsitsipas, who had a tough 5 set win against a rejuvenated Thiem today, against Murray tomorrow.

I watched about an hour or so and Murray will get little in the way of easy points.

Can Murray win, I sadly don't think he has enough to beat this guy but today's match will have taken its toll on the Greek so, let's bring it on.

As always, C'mon Murray. 

18 hours ago, faraway saint said:

So, it's the number 5 seed Tsitsipas, who had a tough 5 set win against a rejuvenated Thiem today, against Murray tomorrow.

I watched about an hour or so and Murray will get little in the way of easy points.

Can Murray win, I sadly don't think he has enough to beat this guy but today's match will have taken its toll on the Greek so, let's bring it on.

As always, C'mon Murray. 

I think Murray will be well up for this,  Thiem had too many opportunities to push Tsitsipas harder than he did.  Add the late night then Murray will be fresh and strong.

It all depends on his serve, he was nailing it later in the Peniston match after taking a little too long to get it to a fine end point but had a massive improvement on second serve over recent years.  He was serving better than i have seen him (on telly) in 7 years by the end, he just needs to start like that.

Ok, quite a bit later than scheduled Murray coming up in the next 15 mins.

On another note what a victory for Liam Broady today over the 4th seed.

It does show that there are shocks out there, hoping for another tonight.

Broady said something along the lines that he told his mother to calm down as he'd already won £80k before today's match.  :lol: