The Lawn Tennis Thread

shull

6 hours ago, faraway saint said:

His decent form, no more than that taking into account the opposition, continues as he's into the semis today.

Another tournament victory would do him no harm at all. :thumbs2

Saw the very brief highlights on the Beeb site. The shot choices are as good as ever but his movement seems to have really improved over this season.  👍

1 hour ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

Saw the very brief highlights on the Beeb site. The shot choices are as good as ever but his movement seems to have really improved over this season.  👍

The quality of the opposition is a major factor in both the areas you mention.

The opponent can have a major influence on how Murray can get into position, or close enough to play his best shots.

31 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Murray loses the first set 6-3.

De Minaus is very tidy, compact and makes few unforced errors.

Murray out, lost the 2nd set 6-1.

As I said previously.............

On 6/17/2023 at 4:04 PM, faraway saint said:

The quality of the opposition is a major factor in both the areas you mention.

The opponent can have a major influence on how Murray can get into position, or close enough to play his best shots.

Better players play better shots, play less unforced errors and it's a whole lot tougher, despite what Murray can manage these days.  

Murray was well in the first set but his opponent just had the edge.

The 2nd set got away quickly and that, I'm afraid, was that. 

2 hours ago, faraway saint said:

While it's fairly obvious Murrays best days are behind him his achievements are beyond belief in an era when there were 3 players who are in the "best ever" debate.

May be an image of 3 people, people playing tennis and text that says "Howdy tennis 2 OLYMPIC GOLD MEDALS IN SINGELS. 11 GRAND SLAM FINALS 3 GRAND SLAM TITLES WORLD'S NO.1FOR NO.1 41 WEEKS."

Absolutely. There’s no doubt Murray is in the twilight of his career but no one can deny he has been the best British tennis player we’ve seen in our lifetime, his record speaks for itself .  
His achievements should not be downplayed or disrespected , hopefully one day we will see another home grown World No1 but I think that may be a long time away , for now let’s appreciate the great man .

Can he win Wimbledon again ?  I very much doubt it but that won’t stop me or the vast majority of the country getting behind him and hoping he can upset the odds.  👏 🎾 

Just watched Murrays conquerer De Minaur win a tight game against a decent player, Mannarino, to reach the semi finals.

He's (De Mianur) is worth a watch at Wimbledon.

He won't win it IMO but he could go deep, depending on the draw.

Doesn't mess about, no bouncing the ball 25 times before each serve, reminds me of Sampras a wee bit.

On 6/23/2023 at 2:36 PM, faraway saint said:

Just watched Murrays conquerer De Minaur win a tight game against a decent player, Mannarino, to reach the semi finals.

He's (De Mianur) is worth a watch at Wimbledon.

He won't win it IMO but he could go deep, depending on the draw.

Doesn't mess about, no bouncing the ball 25 times before each serve, reminds me of Sampras a wee bit.

De Minaur in the final against the wonder boy Alcaraz. 

The Spaniard will be favourite but it'll be, IMO, a close match. 

Just watching Venus Williams in action on centre court.

The commentators are spending an inordinate amount of time talking about his historic achievements while brushing over her current form, which is honking.

Slow, timing all over the place and already a break down against a nobody.

Hang up yer raquet FFS. 

2 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

The commentators are spending an inordinate amount of time talking about his historic achievements while brushing over her current form, which is honking.

Hang up yer raquet FFS. 

"His" ???

4 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Hang up yer raquet FFS. 

"Raquet" ??

Erm, racquet ?

18 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

The commentators are spending an inordinate amount of time talking about her historic achievements while brushing over her current form, which is honking.

Hang up yer raquet FFS. 

Williams loses the first set 6-4

To give Williams some credit she did improve later in the set.

Maybe she'll keep improving in the 2nd set. 

Her opponent isn't quite the nobody I thought, she's the world number 76. :rolleyes: