The Politics Thread

shull

9 hours ago, oaksoft said:

Whit?

You take the income per household and divide it by the number of people in the household to find the income per head. (about 5k) 

Then try taking the monthly income and producing a basic budget for the household.  You'll find that it's pretty tight but doable at the limit. Go below that limit and something has to give. 

1 hour ago, insaintee said:

You take the income per household and divide it by the number of people in the household to find the income per head. (about 5k) 

Then try taking the monthly income and producing a basic budget for the household.  You'll find that it's pretty tight but doable at the limit. Go below that limit and something has to give. 

Ah OK.

Not sure why you would use that particular statistic though because you would also need to divide the bills evenly as well. Any other approach would be an abuse of statistics.

When you do that you get exactly the same information as you would when considering the entire household as one beast.

BTW your suggested monthly food and clothes budgets are absolutely ridiculous.

Like I said if this is what your average foodbank user is spending per month on food then they need different help from simple handouts.

I have already given a detailed budget elsewhere on this forum showing everything you would need to cover.

Edited by oaksoft

1 hour ago, cockles1987 said:

I didn't accuse you of calling me names.

Here is the actual post.

Now read it slowly and accurately and you will see what I actually wrote and not what you think I wrote.

See I didn't write the name calling was specific to me.

So can you actually answer the question now without going in the huff that poor wee me has leaked a wee bit of urine whilst laughing at you. emoji23.png

No offence but I fell asleep half way through that.  :blink:

If you have anything interesting to say in future posts I'd be happy to engage again.

14 hours ago, oaksoft said:

Ah OK.

Not sure why you would use that particular statistic though because you would also need to divide the bills evenly as well. Any other approach would be an abuse of statistics.

When you do that you get exactly the same information as you would when considering the entire household as one beast.

BTW your suggested monthly food and clothes budgets are absolutely ridiculous.

Like I said if this is what your average foodbank user is spending per month on food then they need different help from simple handouts.

I have already given a detailed budget elsewhere on this forum showing everything you would need to cover.

But in the worked example I took the total monthly household income and compared it to the total monthly household spend. I'm afraid there's no abuse of statistics. 

The point being that a house hold of three has higher expenditure then a house hold of 1. 

I think  400 pounds a month on food is not unreasonable for a house hold of 3 that's about 50 per week and around 15 pounds per person per week. I'll bet you spend more than that on your pre-match refreshments.  

I do agree that people on the poverty line should get other help. I'm very keen on the local initiatives to provide and encourage use of allotments and community gardens which have a wide range of benefits. I also keen on skills initiatives which cover cooking, house maintenance and yes budgeting. I like the idea of extending and de-stigmatising free school meal provision. Further work needs to be done on health particularly around dental care, but also about other issues for example sexual health. Up cycling initiatives also good. There's loads and loads of stuff  going on  around supporting children in education some successful some less so. I highly recommend that someone of your intelligence and social conscience get involved in something like voluntary tutoring.  You could be part of the solution.

3 hours ago, insaintee said:

But in the worked example I took the total monthly household income and compared it to the total monthly household spend. I'm afraid there's no abuse of statistics. 

The point being that a house hold of three has higher expenditure then a house hold of 1. 

I think  400 pounds a month on food is not unreasonable for a house hold of 3 that's about 50 per week and around 15 pounds per person per week. I'll bet you spend more than that on your pre-match refreshments.  

I do agree that people on the poverty line should get other help. I'm very keen on the local initiatives to provide and encourage use of allotments and community gardens which have a wide range of benefits. I also keen on skills initiatives which cover cooking, house maintenance and yes budgeting. I like the idea of extending and de-stigmatising free school meal provision. Further work needs to be done on health particularly around dental care, but also about other issues for example sexual health. Up cycling initiatives also good. There's loads and loads of stuff  going on  around supporting children in education some successful some less so. I highly recommend that someone of your intelligence and social conscience get involved in something like voluntary tutoring.  You could be part of the solution.

You can easily feed a family of 5 on £60 to £80 per week. I know because that is what I used to spend for years until my kids left home. To spend this on a household of just 3 people and then claim to need foodbanks is feckless in my opinion. These people need help drawing up a food budget.

I think your arithmetic is wrong. £400 a month is £100 per week not £50.

Our views are not too dissimilar actually and I agree with your other points.

BTW I am not remotely interested in helping anyone who gets into this sort of trouble. I am glad others do get involved but I genuinely dont care enough about people who wont accept personal responsibility to help out. I actually cant think of anything worse.  It would be a waste of my time and it would continue the theme of dependency which is the root cause of many of these problems. Anyone out there want to know how to budget? Get a book from the library or better yet use f**king Google and stop being so bloody lazy.

Edited by oaksoft

5 hours ago, oaksoft said:

You can easily feed a family of 5 on £60 to £80 per week. I know because that is what I used to spend for years until my kids left home. To spend this on a household of just 3 people and then claim to need foodbanks is feckless in my opinion. These people need help drawing up a food budget.

I think your arithmetic is wrong. £400 a month is £100 per week not £50.

Our views are not too dissimilar actually and I agree with your other points.

BTW I am not remotely interested in helping anyone who gets into this sort of trouble. I am glad others do get involved but I genuinely dont care enough about people who wont accept personal responsibility to help out. I actually cant think of anything worse.  It would be a waste of my time and it would continue the theme of dependency which is the root cause of many of these problems. Anyone out there want to know how to budget? Get a book from the library or better yet use f**king Google and stop being so bloody lazy.

Really?

Easily?

£2 a day for each person?

When was the last time you went shopping?

PS Seen this and thought of you......................

Image may contain: text

Edited by faraway saint

39 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Really?

Easily?

£2 a day for each person?

When was the last time you went shopping?

PS Seen this and thought of you......................

Image may contain: text

I think that is possible, if you live in Mali or Sudan, and your family of five are happy to eat boiled rice every day.