Football on TV

shull

Then, either SFA haven’t made Scotland appear as attractive to show as teams like Wales (or Croatia, Ethiopia etc.) or SFA is greedily asking for silly money.

As you’re no doubt aware, the SFA has f**ked up before when trying to sell rights to the bigot-infested SPL games.

2 minutes ago, antrin said:

Then, either SFA haven’t made Scotland appear as attractive to show as teams like Wales (or Croatia, Ethiopia etc.) or SFA is greedily asking for silly money.

As you’re no doubt aware, the SFA has f**ked up before when trying to sell rights to the bigot-infested SPL games.

The SFA has a duty to get the most money for their product, simple as that.....they don't even do the negotiations as I think the rights are held by UEFA Premier Sports to broadcast Scotland Men’s National Team matches until 2024 | Scottish FA | News 

25 minutes ago, WeeBud said:

The SFA has a duty to get the most money for their product, simple as that.....

So…

a. They have failed their duty by getting SFA for the product whilst the English, Welsh and Irish have at least found a way to let their nations see the team play (the answer to the original query).

&

b.

25 minutes ago, WeeBud said:

.they don't even do the negotiations as I think the rights are held by UEFA Premier Sports to broadcast Scotland Men’s National Team matches until 2024 | Scottish FA | News 

They’re so incompetent that -thankfully - SFA have been excised from the scene because access to view future matches will be controlled by the European governing body… which can’t do a worse job.

Edited by antrin

10 minutes ago, antrin said:

So…

a. They have failed their duty by getting SFA for the product whilst the English, Welsh and Irish have at least found a way to let their nations see the team play (the answer to the original query).

&

b.

They’re so incompetent that -thankfully - SFA have been excised from the scene because access to view future matches will be controlled by the European governing body… which can’t do a worse job.

Utter drivel. 

4 minutes ago, antrin said:

So…

&

b.

They’re so incompetent that -thankfully - SFA have been excused from the scene as access to view future matches will be controlled by the European governing body… which can’t do a worse job.

Have you bumped your head this morning??

Here's how England sold their rights.....hmmm, interestingly through UEFA ITV secures exclusive rights to broadcast England Men's matches from 2024-2028 | England Football , I think you'll find this is how it's done regardless of which country you are.

You'll probably go down a rabbit hole in a bid to be correct but the reality is STV and BBC Scotland budgets don't allow them to compete with Satellite Broadcasters.

I’m willing to be educated.  :)

And I don’t mind rabbit-holes….

What you’re saying, WeeBud, is SFA is blameless because Scotland’s independent tv providers are too wee to afford to show those games?  

Which makes me think that the SFA have no say in who can or cannot watch those matches?  What’s the point of the SFA, then - other than to milk money from the Tartan Army?

I’m willing to be educated.  [emoji4]
What you’re saying, WeeBud, is SFA is blameless because Scotland’s independent tv providers are too wee to afford to show those games?  
Which makes me think that the SFA have no say in who can or cannot watch those matches?  What’s the point of the SFA, then - other than to milk money from the Tartan Army?

The international games should definitely be on free to air tv.

Our ‘game’ is already split across multiple platforms with the obvious goal of attracting money and sponsorship which is important to maintain and develop the game, but is it that big an ask to have the national team on BBC SCOTLAND or STV?

1 hour ago, Scott-Leeds said:

The international games should definitely be on free to air tv.

Our ‘game’ is already split across multiple platforms with the obvious goal of attracting money and sponsorship which is important to maintain and develop the game, but is it that big an ask to have the national team on BBC SCOTLAND or STV?

I think they should be on free to air tv from a consumer perspective, the reality is that someone has to pay for it and it goes to the highest bidder.

2 hours ago, antrin said:

I’m willing to be educated.  :)

UEFA sells the rights to the TV packages which comes through a series of bids and will pretty well always go to the highest bidder, the SFA are to blame for many things but not in this case imo.

UEFA and FIFA both seem to be driven by greed and will pull their pants down for the highest dollar (see World Cup in Qatar for reference), that unfortunately permeates it's way through all the layers which ends up fleecing the fans. It doesn't effect me too much from a TV perspective because I attend all the home games and as many away games as I can afford. That said, on the occasions that I can't go away I'd love the games to be on "non-Satellite" or "non-PPV" channels. To watch almost any football on TV now you need at least "Sky" as an entry level, what is horrific is that they have plenty international games on but if your country's group is sold to "Viaplay" or "TNT" then you're ponying out even more money compared to other countries.

50 minutes ago, WeeBud said:

UEFA sells the rights to the TV packages which comes through a series of bids and will pretty well always go to the highest bidder, the SFA are to blame for many things but not in this case imo.

UEFA and FIFA both seem to be driven by greed and will pull their pants down for the highest dollar (see World Cup in Qatar for reference), that unfortunately permeates it's way through all the layers which ends up fleecing the fans. It doesn't effect me too much from a TV perspective because I attend all the home games and as many away games as I can afford. That said, on the occasions that I can't go away I'd love the games to be on "non-Satellite" or "non-PPV" channels. To watch almost any football on TV now you need at least "Sky" as an entry level, what is horrific is that they have plenty international games on but if your country's group is sold to "Viaplay" or "TNT" then you're ponying out even more money compared to other countries.

I subscribe to neither Sky nor any other satellite channels but I’m still able to watch England and Wales, that’s my original point. I understand your explanation of the reasons for our countries refusal to consider the fans, but I don’t accept them. I admit to being only vaguely interested in the national team but still think it’s very poor of the governing body to repeatedly ignore calls for games like this to be available to all. 

5 minutes ago, Saint@Johnstone said:

I subscribe to neither Sky nor any other satellite channels but I’m still able to watch England and Wales, that’s my original point. I understand your explanation of the reasons for our countries refusal to consider the fans, but I don’t accept them. I admit to being only vaguely interested in the national team but still think it’s very poor of the governing body to repeatedly ignore calls for games like this to be available to all. 

First bit in bold is because C4 and SC4 outbid all the other interested parties. Second bit in bold, neither BBC Scotland or STV outbid Viaplay in the UEFA bidding process.....I don't think it is currently within SFA's power.

I don't like the fact it's not available on "Free to Air" but that's just a personal thought.......

4 minutes ago, Saint@Johnstone said:

I admit to being only vaguely interested in the national team but still think it’s very poor of the governing body to repeatedly ignore calls for games like this to be available to all. 

First highlighted bit.......yet you whine about this at every opportunity. 

Second bit.....you've not understood the previous posts.

I happen to agree Scotland games should be available to all but I'm not naive enough to recognise it's not that straightforward and financially it makes sense to sell to the highest bidder as this money goes back into Scottish football at many levels.