Sin Bin Motorhome Thread

faraway saint

8 hours ago, WeeBud said:

We’ve taken up Starlink” for Wi-Fi at the cottage and getting 270 Mb of download (which is mental). They do a package for motorhomes, boats etc….£75.00 per month but you’re not in contract and can switch package on and off when your not using it

As a disruptor to the market they certainly are highly expensive. I can understand why you might need this in remote locations but if I understand the price plans it’s not cheap!

Most places I go to in Europe allow me to get sufficient data throughput via traditional mobile to stream most content I need or I download tv/films in advance. 

IMG_6247.thumb.jpeg.d385dd92367b250a31b3939c969349f9.jpegIMG_6248.thumb.jpeg.8ba776289e5e0df15640030c999ccf6e.jpeg

2 hours ago, Albanian Buddy said:

As a disruptor to the market they certainly are highly expensive. I can understand why you might need this in remote locations but if I understand the price plans it’s not cheap!

Most places I go to in Europe allow me to get sufficient data throughput via traditional mobile to stream most content I need or I download tv/films in advance. 

IMG_6247.thumb.jpeg.d385dd92367b250a31b3939c969349f9.jpegIMG_6248.thumb.jpeg.8ba776289e5e0df15640030c999ccf6e.jpeg

That’s not what I use it for though…..I need to go through a VPN link to my office, connect to the server and then run various programmes and processes simultaneously. As I said to FS, not everyone needs the download speed that I do but for a system (package) that I can switch on and off ( don’t pay for off) and charge to my business it is very decent value for money.

9 hours ago, WeeBud said:

That’s not what I use it for though…..I need to go through a VPN link to my office, connect to the server and then run various programmes and processes simultaneously. As I said to FS, not everyone needs the download speed that I do but for a system (package) that I can switch on and off ( don’t pay for off) and charge to my business it is very decent value for money.

Indeed.

We'll be running the Firestick to watch Netflix, Amazon Prime and my IPTV so, overall, the requirements are considerably less than that whopping 270Mb (I don't get that in the house) you were getting. 

Anyhow, that'll be one of many things we'll need to overcome in the next few months.

We're heading down to Glasgow in a couple of weeks to have a wander around the Scottish Caravan Show to get a few ideas and, no doubt, Mrs Faraway will end up purchasing some stuff. 

9 hours ago, WeeBud said:

Ok I fully understand your business needs for reliability in a static office environment and within the benefit of being able to charge back through your company. 

But you seemed to miss the point I’m making about point of entry cost model for a “disruptive” product.

Plus unless I’m missing something the cost for a mobile system for a motorhome is damn expensive and costs more than you originally quoted. 

IMG_6251.jpeg.b542daf867b1bfbcd93368e1f428893b.jpeg

I’ve been working in secure data transfer since mid 80s (IT for armed forces). I have traveled extensively globally on business and leisure for many years using VPN and other encryption technologies. I just personally feel that there is a significant cost barrier compared to other traditional communication methods. 

It is a Musk company after-all and therefore seems to carry a premium. Hopefully the price will come down over time.

I suppose someone needs to pay for all the failed SpaceX launches. 😂 

5 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Motorhome successfully driven home, only hit 2 or 3 cars, not bad for my first drive.

Mrs Faraway already been out measuring, I fear this'll cost me more and more. 

Not had the dogs in it yet, grounds all wet and slushy with the wee upturn in temperature. 

Enjoy the freedoms of the open road FS

Very short trip planned tomorrow, the petrol station for starters then down to the seafront where oldest granddaughter is working so we'll pop in and surprise here.

One of the younger granddaughters will be the first passenger, along with the dogs.

Sit down and look out at the seas, make a cup of tea and just chill for an hour.

16 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Very short trip planned tomorrow, the petrol station for starters then down to the seafront where oldest granddaughter is working so we'll pop in and surprise here.

One of the younger granddaughters will be the first passenger, along with the dogs.

Sit down and look out at the seas, make a cup of tea and just chill for an hour.

Well, that was pretty easy.

Filled the motorhome up, over £90, went down to the beachfront with a granddaughter and Mrs Faraway safely inside.

Never took the dogs this time, small steps and all that.

Oldest granddaughter popped round from her work for a quick 15 minute visit.

Very scenic with the rain lashing down and the waves crashing into the seafront wall while we were very cozy as the gas fire was fired right up.

TV worked fine , as did Netflix so that's all good.

We all had a wee snack, roll and sausage, and added a few more things to the "list" of things we'll need. 

Only minor hiccup was Mrs faraway, who had bought a kettle earlier today, forgot cups so no cup of tea. 

I'm sure we'll have plenty of little issues like this in the months to come, worse things happen at sea. 

On 1/19/2024 at 5:06 PM, faraway saint said:

Will do ma best mate.

Quite heavy on the fuel, it could do with a 6th gear, rev counter sits quite high and I was only sitting about 60 from Perth to Arbroath. 

Slow down to 50,there’s no hurry in the motor home world Pull in every now and again though to let the queue behind you past 

Are you good at waving?👋

2nd wee trip down to Victoria Park, right on the seafront, today.

A worthwhile couple of hours, had a wee bite to eat, sorted out a few places to store various bits and pieces and the dogs settled in very well.

Watched the tide, and waves, come closer and closer before we bailed out, don't need it covered in salty water. 

No we trip next weekend as we're down in Glasgow for the Motorhome Exhibition at the OVO to have a wee nosey, maybe get a few ideas and spend the night in Glasgow. 

1 hour ago, DougJamie said:

Is the NC500 on the horizon FS ?

No this year mate, next year when we're a wee bit more confident and I'll have retired so we can attempt it when it's not too busy and the weather is reasonable. 

Looking forward to exploring the west coast and islands as, when we stayed in Paisley, we didn't drive till the kids came along then we moved up here a few years later. 

1 hour ago, faraway saint said:

No this year mate, next year when we're a wee bit more confident and I'll have retired so we can attempt it when it's not too busy and the weather is reasonable. 

Looking forward to exploring the west coast and islands as, when we stayed in Paisley, we didn't drive till the kids came along then we moved up here a few years later. 

Well maybe be bias but living in Fairlie i see Arran...Bute.. Both Cumbraes and way into Argylle...so recommend some island hopping

That’s the thing with the NC500. 
For many of the locals what was once an interesting development for tourism has actually become a bit of a curse as it’s become so popular. 

If you look at Scotland there are loads of routes to enjoy and explore. 

When I worked down south we used to enjoy going on tours of Scotland for a week just following the coast line and seeing where we ended up. 

9 minutes ago, Albanian Buddy said:

That’s the thing with the NC500. 
For many of the locals what was once an interesting development for tourism has actually become a bit of a curse as it’s become so popular. 

If you look at Scotland there are loads of routes to enjoy and explore. 

When I worked down south we used to enjoy going on tours of Scotland for a week just following the coast line and seeing where we ended up. 

Aye, I've heard numerous news reports that the infrastructure in many places isn't up to the numbers.

A fine line between making money from the tourists and the overcrowding putting people off.

That's why we'll pick a time when it's less busy, out with the summer school holidays for starters.

2 hours ago, faraway saint said:

The guy we bought our motorhome from messaged me this morning suggesting we meet up for lunch, very nice of him.

Hope he knows I'll be starving as I'll not have had breakfast. :lol:

Just be careful…..😅

On 2/3/2024 at 8:00 AM, faraway saint said:

The guy we bought our motorhome from messaged me this morning suggesting we meet up for lunch, very nice of him.

Hope he knows I'll be starving as I'll not have had breakfast. :lol:

Quite an interesting day.

Arrived just after 11, dropped our stuff off at the hotel, wandered over to the SEC, had a drink then met up with my new mate for a bit of lunch.

Then wandered around for hours trapsing in/out of various motorhomes.

Quite a few have the main bed permanently made up, we find this idea a waste of space so that type of layout isn't for us. 

Also many have the additional bed that comes down at the flick of a switch, nice wee bit of technology/design.

Oh, some don;t have a TV, WTF is that ll about? No TV no deal. :rolleyes:

Bought a few small items we needed, nothing too glamourous and bailed out close to 4pm.

Not sure it's the type of thing we'd visit every year but who knows.