Solar Panels

spirit of 77

Anyone know if there has been any progress on the installation of panels at the ground?

If commercial premises are subject to the same cut in the feed-in tariff that domestic users will be from 12th December, then they'd better get their skates on if they want to utilise this as an income generator.

the only real issues are the load capacity of the roofs (and maybe walls) and the availability of a grid connection with sufficient capacity to take the output, but if it is a good idea then why does it have to be a CIC venture? Cant it go ahead as a SMFC venture? Young dick is on the board and is supposedly calling the shots. Is his duty as a director not to act in the best interests of the club? if so, why wait?

You mean it's not free??? Feck me! what a revelation

With the government having moved the goalposts, installation remains a very costly business for significantly less return.

So no, it's not free, and it is also now considerably less attractive a proposition.

Community Schemes may be protected from the cuts. So far only phase one of the DECC consultation document has been released. Details of protection being offered to Community Schemes won't be announced until phase 2. Even so although the cuts to the FITs make solar less attractive it's still attractive. Even in the domestic market you'd be likely to recoup your initial investment in 18 years - in reality it's still likely to be much less given the rising cost of energy and increasing electricity consumption.

Guest somner9

Community Schemes may be protected from the cuts. So far only phase one of the DECC consultation document has been released. Details of protection being offered to Community Schemes won't be announced until phase 2. Even so although the cuts to the FITs make solar less attractive it's still attractive. Even in the domestic market you'd be likely to recoup your initial investment in 18 years - in reality it's still likely to be much less given the rising cost of energy and increasing electricity consumption.

In short it's another 10000 hours own goal!

Wonder if RA puts his boxers on after his troosers in the morning? back to front of course :)

You've touched on a more general question I have surrounding the CIC, Stuart.

If the CIC goes ahead, could any infrastructural changes to the club (the installation of solar panels being one example) be eligible for grants, subsidies etc. - or preferential feed-in tariffs in the case of solar energy generation - by playing the community card? Surely the CIC would only own 52% of the shares of the club, so would it really qualify as anything other than a partially community-owned/managed commercial business?

In short it's another 10000 hours own goal!

Wonder if RA puts his boxers on after his troosers in the morning? back to front of course smile.png

Why it is an own-goal? There is no CIC just now, so there has been no authority to progress any initiative on this scale.

If this was a CIC proposal, then that is all it was....a proposal.

Guest somner9

Why it is an own-goal? There is no CIC just now, so there has been no authority to progress any initiative on this scale.

If you look back it was one of a few iniatitives that 10000 hours were bigging themselves up about as bringing extra revenue streams to the club. As we we now know quite the opposite would be true as a hefty financial outlay would be required with an ever decreasing prospect of payback. There plans as they stand (Or wherever they are) will cost the club.

Proposals get launched with a photocall, press conference and a splash on all available media then?

Well, on that basis, they are almost indistinguishable from publicity stunts

If you look back it was one of a few iniatitives that 10000 hours were bigging themselves up about as bringing extra revenue streams to the club. As we we now know quite the opposite would be true as a hefty financial outlay would be required with an ever decreasing prospect of payback. There plans as they stand (Or wherever they are) will cost the club.

Working in the renewables industry, this was actually one of the proposals from the CIC that gave me some hope that it really was a serious venture and I am disappointed that it has not been carried forward. It could have been set up as a joint venture where SMFC contribute only land and an agreement to take some of the power at a reduced cost, the rest of the installation cost being covered by the JV partner who would take the lion's share of the profit. It would not take 10000 hours to be responsible for the development or any outlay and there are probably oinstallation grants and cheap loans to be taken advantage of, wee dick could have used his extensive network of business contacts (god, or Mr ed, for example) to do it on behalf of SMFC. A great idea with no will to carry it forward other than for free publicity to show what a great guy he is.

As sid's mate once said "ever get the feeling you've been cheated? "

Edited by spirit of 77

Somner - There was plenty of information initially about how the £10000 fee could be covered by goods, services or by cash. The company involved (IIRC it was Orchid Energy) were becoming Corporate Members. My understanding from the articles was simply that the initial outlay was being offset by the membership fee.

Working in the renewables industry, this was actually one of the proposals from the CIC that gave me some hope that it really was a serious venture and I am disappointed that it has not been carried forward. It could have been set up as a joint venture where SMFC contribute only land and an agreement to take some of the power at a reduced cost, the rest of the installation cost being covered by the JV partner who would take the lion's share of the profit. It would not take 10000 hours to be responsible for the development or any outlay and there are probably oinstallation grants and cheap loans to be taken advantage of, wee dick could have used his extensive network of business contacts (god, or Mr ed, for example) to do it on behalf of SMFC. A great idea with no will to carry it forward other than for free publicity to show what a great guy he is.

As sid's mate once said "ever get the feeling you've been cheated? "

Is there information anywhere to say the idea has been scrapped? I haven't seen that published anywhere.

FWIW I agree with you. My Christmas bonus was scrapped after last years payment in return for a load of shares in a subsidiary company that was renting space on the roofs of supermarkets to utalise the FITs to provide a dividend for the next 25 years. It's a scheme that looks like it will pretty much double the value of what I get this year and I presume for many years after. St Mirren could have rented out their roof space in a similar style deal whilst paying the supplier to use the energy generated.

Edited by Stuart Dickson

You've touched on a more general question I have surrounding the CIC, Stuart.

If the CIC goes ahead, could any infrastructural changes to the club (the installation of solar panels being one example) be eligible for grants, subsidies etc. - or preferential feed-in tariffs in the case of solar energy generation - by playing the community card? Surely the CIC would only own 52% of the shares of the club, so would it really qualify as anything other than a partially community-owned/managed commercial business?

Drew, it's a good question. Certainly the 52% ownership would possibly cause an issue, but if you look at other CIC projects they certainly do get grants and subsidies for environmental projects and I know of a couple of companies at least who win government contracts on the basis of their community and environmental credentials.

Guest somner9

Somner - There was plenty of information initially about how the £10000 fee could be covered by goods, services or by cash. The company involved (IIRC it was Orchid Energy) were becoming Corporate Members. My understanding from the articles was simply that the initial outlay was being offset by the membership fee.

Just how many ventures was that membership fee supposed to fund? six figure fit out of bar, solar panels, Steamie?

10000 hours have been exposed for their naievity and penchant for talking in platitudes. They still to this date never realsed a detailed plan that anyone could study and determine if they were worth investing in, or capable of delivering! It was headline grabbers or if you prefer "fur coat and no knickers" (Or away strip shorts) lol.gif