Jack Vettriano Exhibition

FTOF

I happened to partake in one of my few vaguely cultural experiences of the year today, by visiting the Jack Vettriano Exhibition in The Kelvingrove art galleries.

Have to say that I was very impressed by his work, as prior to my visit it would appear that, other than beaches and umbrella scenes, I wasn't particularly well informed of his range of work.

Well worth a visit. Except for Shull, as it's a fiver to get in.ohmy.png

P.S. There a few paintings of an "erotic" nature, for those of you who are disgusted by that sort of thing.whistling.gif

On the subject of art exhibitions, anyone who is interested in the Scottish (and broader) music scene of the later 70s and 80s and/or photography might be interested in the Harry Papadopoulus exibition in the Clydebank Town Hall. It is showing until 26th October. I hope to get along at some point:

Iconic music photographs go on display -

A collection of stunning photographs of Simple Minds, Orange Juice, Altered Images, The Associates and other music legends has gone on display at Clydebank Museum and Art Gallery.

The original images are the highlights from the incredible career of Scottish photographer Harry Papadopoulos in an exhibition that is touring across Scotland.

Visitors will get a fascinating glimpse of an era in rock music when Scotland ruled the indie music scene. The collection includes a range of striking portraits of artists and live-action front-row shots between 1970 and 1980.

Harry, a self taught photographer from Helensburgh, began his photographic career in Glasgow, standing outside the Apollo, selling gig-goers newly-developed shots from the bands' previous gigs in Edinburgh. Harry's creative vision drew him to London and from 1979 to 1984 was a staff photographer for the music weekly magazine, Sounds, providing countless front covers. During his years in London, Harry photographed the cream of British music, including Blondie, David Bowie, the Associates, Bryan Ferry, Siouxsie and the Banshees, The Birthday Party, The Cramps, The Clash, Altered Images, Penetration, The Specials, Suicide, Wham!, ABC and Spandau Ballet.

Respected and trusted in the pop world, Harry's London flat also became home to fellow Scots artists including Orange Juice, Aztec Camera, Josef K and The Bluebells. Harry became one of the first few photographers to capture the fey arrogance of Edwyn Collins and his Postcard cohorts, and subsequently appeared in the Derek Jarman video for 'What Presence'. Several of these photos comprise Harry's first career retrospective at Street Level Photoworks.

The exhibition also hosts unique photos of Jimmy Somerville, Tom Robinson and Andy Bell as they marched for homosexual equality. Harry also managed to capture the softer side of Peter Capaldi, as the bow-tied front man of The Dreamboys.

I saw the Harry Papadopoulus exhibition when it was on at Streetlevel in Glasgow and am looking forward to seeing Jack Vettriano.

Yesterday I visited the Kaunus Street Photography and LT Pinhole Exhibition at the Harbour Arts Centre in Irvine.

Its just a pity there are not more exhibition venues for the wonderfully diverse work out there which goes unnoticed. The HAC in Irvine has historically showcased local photographers and artists but if they are having a policy change to show more international work then there are few few other venues avaiable for local new artists. They used to allow loca artists to mount an exhibition for a two week slot and there is currently a waiting list of over a year.

I would like for example Paisley Museum to have a similar room where locals artists of all genres can display their work for a week or two week slot.

Vettriano I wouldn't go if it was free and being held in my shed, he is everything that's wrong in art an obnoxious man who can't paint, so many great Paintings in Kelvingrove you can see for free then go across the road and have a drink with the fiver.

Eat your heart out Brian Sewell.dry.png

I would like for example Paisley Museum to have a similar room where locals artists of all genres can display their work for a week or two week slot.

As you enter, before getting into the first big exhibition room, there's a room on the left in which I've seen a couple of exhibitions of local artists' work. Pretty good and for sale, too. Dunno how often that occurs, though... And I guess there would always need to be an extra body to monitor that room... Added costs...

I saw the Harry Papadopoulus exhibition when it was on at Streetlevel in Glasgow and am looking forward to seeing Jack Vettriano.

Yesterday I visited the Kaunus Street Photography and LT Pinhole Exhibition at the Harbour Arts Centre in Irvine.

Its just a pity there are not more exhibition venues for the wonderfully diverse work out there which goes unnoticed. The HAC in Irvine has historically showcased local photographers and artists but if they are having a policy change to show more international work then there are few few other venues avaiable for local new artists. They used to allow loca artists to mount an exhibition for a two week slot and there is currently a waiting list of over a year.

They do and have for a wee while now 101st exhibition coming soon http://www.renfrewshire.gov.uk/webcontent/home/services/leisure+and+culture/arts+and+museums/exhibitions/ce-events-paisleyartists

Guest TPAFKATS

I was annoyed at missing the John Byrne show in Paisley.

I'll make an effort to get to Vettriano's cos I really enjoy his stuff. smile.png

He was standing outside the Bull Inn smoking roll ups after the Partick game a few weeks ago. Wasnae much of a show though...

I happened to partake in one of my few vaguely cultural experiences of the year today, by visiting the Jack Vettriano Exhibition in The Kelvingrove art galleries.

Have to say that I was very impressed by his work, as prior to my visit it would appear that, other than beaches and umbrella scenes, I wasn't particularly well informed of his range of work.

Well worth a visit. Except for Shull, as it's a fiver to get in.ohmy.png

P.S. There a few paintings of an "erotic" nature, for those of you who are disgusted by that sort of thing.whistling.gif

Sorry for copying . Well, if he can get away with it !!whistling.gif

Well worth a visit. Except for Shull, as it's a fiver to get in.Posted Image

P.S. There a few paintings of an "erotic" nature, for those of you who are disgusted by that sort of thing.Posted Image

Sorry for copying . Well, if he can get away with it !!Posted Image

Did you wear your "See You Jimmy" hat?

On the subject of art exhibitions, anyone who is interested in the Scottish (and broader) music scene of the later 70s and 80s and/or photography might be interested in the Harry Papadopoulus exibition in the Clydebank Town Hall. It is showing until 26th October. I hope to get along at some point:

Iconic music photographs go on display -

A collection of stunning photographs of Simple Minds, Orange Juice, Altered Images, The Associates and other music legends has gone on display at Clydebank Museum and Art Gallery.

The original images are the highlights from the incredible career of Scottish photographer Harry Papadopoulos in an exhibition that is touring across Scotland.

Visitors will get a fascinating glimpse of an era in rock music when Scotland ruled the indie music scene. The collection includes a range of striking portraits of artists and live-action front-row shots between 1970 and 1980.

Harry, a self taught photographer from Helensburgh, began his photographic career in Glasgow, standing outside the Apollo, selling gig-goers newly-developed shots from the bands' previous gigs in Edinburgh. Harry's creative vision drew him to London and from 1979 to 1984 was a staff photographer for the music weekly magazine, Sounds, providing countless front covers. During his years in London, Harry photographed the cream of British music, including Blondie, David Bowie, the Associates, Bryan Ferry, Siouxsie and the Banshees, The Birthday Party, The Cramps, The Clash, Altered Images, Penetration, The Specials, Suicide, Wham!, ABC and Spandau Ballet.

Respected and trusted in the pop world, Harry's London flat also became home to fellow Scots artists including Orange Juice, Aztec Camera, Josef K and The Bluebells. Harry became one of the first few photographers to capture the fey arrogance of Edwyn Collins and his Postcard cohorts, and subsequently appeared in the Derek Jarman video for 'What Presence'. Several of these photos comprise Harry's first career retrospective at Street Level Photoworks.

The exhibition also hosts unique photos of Jimmy Somerville, Tom Robinson and Andy Bell as they marched for homosexual equality. Harry also managed to capture the softer side of Peter Capaldi, as the bow-tied front man of The Dreamboys.

oh aye - blondie- great british band them, pity the american band stole their name though

oh aye - blondie- great british band them, pity the american band stole their name though

Don't shoot the messenger, sunshine.

ETA: are you a perma-drunken carnaptious arsehole, or are you like this when sober too?

Edited by Drew

Don't shoot the messenger, sunshine.

ETA: are you a perma-drunken carnaptious arsehole, or are you like this when sober too?

i'd never shoot anyone, and wouldn't normally be so picky about someones posts, but if they get picky about mine - then i might just take a wee swipe back.

sunshine lol.gif

Edited by buddiecat

i'd never shoot anyone, and wouldn't normally be so picky about someones posts, but if they get picky about mine - then i might just take a wee swipe back

As it goes, I was quoting from elsewhere but couldn't put it in italics to indicate this, so your swipe fell short of the mark I'm afraid.

Anyhoo, didn't your wee mammy ever tell you that if you can't post something sober nice, don't post anything at all?wink.png

As it goes, I was quoting from elsewhere but couldn't put it in italics to indicate this, so your swipe fell short of the mark I'm afraid.

Anyhoo, didn't your wee mammy ever tell you that if you can't post something sober nice, don't post anything at all?wink.png

posting after having a few post match beers was not a good idea admittedly, but hardly cause to call me "perma drunk" and if calling me such names is being nice then you need to check what your mammy told you,