Save On Power Bills

faraway saint

Like many people we've never looked into changing suppliers for our gas and electric but with recent outrageous price hikes decided to give it a go.

Went to U Switch website, had last bill for details, 30 minutes later saved £143 over a year, not a fortune but better in our pocket than the robbing power companies.

Oakey, thought of a windmill for the garden but they're shite. :)

Like many people we've never looked into changing suppliers for our gas and electric but with recent outrageous price hikes decided to give it a go.

Went to U Switch website, had last bill for details, 30 minutes later saved £143 over a year, not a fortune but better in our pocket than the robbing power companies.

Oakey, thought of a windmill for the garden but they're shite. smile.png

Gardens are NOT shite.

Get a grip man.

I changed electricity supplier in June which would half my bill. Within days, they scrapped the tariff I joined "to make charges easier to understand". Three months on, my direct debits agreed aren't enough to cover the new charges and have just been bumped up to what previous supplier charged.

Oakey, thought of a windmill for the garden but they're shite. :)

Who did u get the best quote with?

Oakey, thought of a windmill for the garden but they're shite. smile.png

I'm assuming that the company you switched to has also already hiked their prices.

It would be a shame if you ended up paying even more to the new company when they also hike their prices than you would have done had you stayed where you were...

There is no such thing as "the cheapest deal" when it comes to gas and electricity.

No two suppliers have exactly comparable tarrifs and this is deliberately done to prevent comparison.

I'm all for shopping around but claiming you're saving £108 here and £35 there is unlikely to be accurate.

The fact is that with differing tarrifs it's only possible to know which deal was best AFTER you've used the energy.

That of course doesn't guarantee you'll use that amount of energy next year.

Unless you've become the master of predicting how much energy you'll use on kettles etc. in the coming year.

Beware of anyone who claims they can tell you the cheapest deal cos they are either getting a cut, thick as mince or fortune tellers.

Sorry to spread some gloom.

Edited by oaksoft

I went into Usw*tch about a year ago and it said the best deal was dual fuel with Eon and showed almost unbelievable savings . I then visited the Eon website to see if l could get a better quote from source. I put in the same figures , against their same offered deal but this time the quoted saving was much more conservative and almost half of what was claimed by our friends over at U sw*tch. .

Got a letter from Npower to my house over in the Mearns. Turns out my yearly bill will be going down thanks to them removing standing charges.,

Dave , all they are doing is putting you on a two tier system which , may save you money if , you don't use the house much and everything is switched off . Other than that. .

I'm with OVO Energy and I'm loving it. They pay 3% interest on credit balances - more than most banks. Imagine having an energy company where you are actually happy to pay more monthly than what the energy you use costs.

Oh and the best way to save money on your annual bills - don't use so much f**king energy! It's really simple. Turn off radiators in rooms that aren't occupied. Buy a large thermometer for your living room and turn off your central heating when the living room is at 18°C, and always ensure your heating is turned off at least one hour before the house is empty.

I had a power card meter fitted to a house that I rent out and the guy said that it actually is saving him a fortune as he and his family are now more conscious of what they use. So Ive done the same to my own house and its true we are spending a lot less per month than we were with a fixed meter.

The energy companies are all about profit so the only way to save money is to make it happen yourself.

I had a power card meter fitted to a house that I rent out and the guy said that it actually is saving him a fortune as he and his family are now more conscious of what they use. So Ive done the same to my own house and its true we are spending a lot less per month than we were with a fixed meter.

The energy companies are all about profit so the only way to save money is to make it happen yourself.

Agreed although I don't think switching to a power card is the best way to do it. There are plenty of devices out on the market that will show you your energy consumption and the likes of British Gas have been offering smart meters for ages now. You are right though - it's all about awareness and once you realise how you are wasting money you can start to make decisions about changing the way you use electricity and gas.

One of the large retail companies we work with have initiated a bonus scheme for staff based around awarding them a percentage of any energy saved in their store. Perfectly sensible since reducing costs will increase profit margins just as much as raising prices would. Anyway I was talking to one of their staff last night and he told me that the change in attitude amongst staff is brilliant because now they are demanding heating be turned off and they double check that computers and lights are all turned off as well. He said he'd even stopped charging his mobile phone at work even though the company has always permitted this. They reckon since the incentive started the store is saving around £350 - £500 per day.

Edited by Stuart Dickson