Argos!

Stuart Dickson

Oh FFS rolleyes.gif You need to learn more about the High Street. Dixons haven't suffered a "demise". Dixons still retain a High Street presence - albeit more of a retail park one these days - with it's ownership of Curry's and PC World. While on the internet Pixmania is their online brand.

FFS make up your mind, is it high st or retail park?

As for Argos they are in a five year turnaround programme under the Home Retail Group. The Home Retail Group saw one of their businesses - Irish Homebase - enter into "examinship" earlier this year. As a group they've repeatedly issued profit warnings although earlier this year they saw a 40% increase in profit as their share price rose to a five year high. However since then shares have lost around 10% of their value and their CEO has announced he's resigning.

Yawn

I'm simply making users of the forum aware that I would recommend people do their homework on the state of the Customer Service being offered by the staff in stores before buying products from there.

glad to see you care enough to tell us.

I've always found Argos staff of all ages perfectly friendly and helpful. They can't all be the Brain of Britain like Studick..Stu, the arogance and stupidity of many of your posts leave me in no doubt that you must be a real SOB to serve anywhere unless the staff kiss your more than ample arse.

I've always found Argos staff of all ages perfectly friendly and helpful. They can't all be the Brain of Britain like Studick..Stu, the arogance and stupidity of many of your posts leave me in no doubt that you must be a real SOB to serve anywhere unless the staff kiss your more than ample arse.

It's not a lack of brains Rick - this is a failure to comply with the Sale of Goods Act 1970 - a basic requirement in the retail sector. It's shameful that a store manager would be unaware of the implications of the act, and that an organisation would be set up in such a way as to obstruct returns of electrical goods which were clearly not fit for purpose.

Anyway the good news is that having followed Citizens Advice guidance and having copied my communications with Argos staff and having sent it to the CEO's e-mail address I have this morning received an e-mail from the Directors Office telling me that I have to return back to the store where they will now provide me with a replacement and a "gift" for my trouble.

Still my advice remains the same - if you are buying electrical products from Argos, especially if you are buying gifts, please be aware of the customer service "process" that stores are following and bear in mind that staff are now following a process that used to be used by Comet where goods sold faulty are being sent for assessment and repair rather than being refunded or replaced.

It's not a lack of brains Rick - this is a failure to comply with the Sale of Goods Act 1970 - a basic requirement in the retail sector. It's shameful that a store manager would be unaware of the implications of the act, and that an organisation would be set up in such a way as to obstruct returns of electrical goods which were clearly not fit for purpose.  

Anyway the good news is that having followed Citizens Advice guidance and having copied my communications with Argos staff and having sent it to the CEO's e-mail address I have this morning received an e-mail from the Directors Office telling me that I have to return back to the store where they will now provide me with a replacement and a "gift" for my trouble. 

Still my advice remains the same - if you are buying electrical products from Argos, especially if you are buying gifts, please be aware of the customer service "process" that stores are following and bear in mind that staff are now following a process that used to be used by Comet where goods sold faulty are being sent for assessment and repair rather than being refunded or replaced. 

I bought an x-box 360 from Comet for my son the Christmas they came out. A few weeks later it developed a fault and I took it back to Comet expecting to be able to reject it under the SoG Act. They told me that I had to return it to Microsoft to have it repaired and that it was nothing to do with them. Despite a loud argument with the store deputy manager, he refused to budge from this stance.

Suitably enraged - well, irked, I'm not you and grateful for it - I contacted Trading Standards , expecting them to confirm I was right and for them to take up the cudgels on my behalf. Imagine my surprise when they told me that Comet did have the right to do this, albeit that expecting me to send it back was ott. In the end, I got them to send it back for repair.

Maybe I should just have thrown it at them......

I bought an x-box 360 from Comet for my son the Christmas they came out. A few weeks later it developed a fault and I took it back to Comet expecting to be able to reject it under the SoG Act. They told me that I had to return it to Microsoft to have it repaired and that it was nothing to do with them. Despite a loud argument with the store deputy manager, he refused to budge from this stance.

Suitably enraged - well, irked, I'm not you and grateful for it - I contacted Trading Standards , expecting them to confirm I was right and for them to take up the cudgels on my behalf. Imagine my surprise when they told me that Comet did have the right to do this, albeit that expecting me to send it back was ott. In the end, I got them to send it back for repair.

Maybe I should just have thrown it at them......

You should have got me to complain on your behalf.....

Good Morning

Thank you for your recent letter, which has been received and read by John Walden. He has asked that I look in to your complaint and reply on his behalf.

I would like to be able to discuss this matter further with you; however I have been unable to trace a contact number for you. Can I kindly ask you to provide me with a contact number for you alternatively can I ask you to contact me direct on 01908 762872 so that I can help resolve this issue for you.

Yours sincerely

Robert Parsons

Director's Office

Tel: 01908 762872

Fax: 01908 204192

Email: [email protected]

Good Afternoon Mr Dickson

Thank you for your email I leave the office at 5pm however to resolve your complaint can I kindly ask you to send me the tablet and I will arrange a full refund for you and reimbursement of your postage costs's. If this is acceptable please send the tablet marked for my attention to the address below.

Robert Parsons

Director's Office

Argos Direct

Acton Gate

Stafford

ST18 9AR

Kind Regards

Robert Parsons

Director's Office

Tel: 01908 762872

Fax: 01908 204192

Email: [email protected]

Stuart, I have never had any problem with customer service at Argos and on the one occasion that I had to return a faulty item it was replaced on the spot without the faulty item even being examined. It may be that you have to look at your approach to the staff.

By the way, the Acts to which you refer are

The Sale of Goods Act 1979 and the Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982

You should have got me to complain on your behalf.....

Well done, you bullied them. Just so long as you understand, and acknowledge, that you're wrong in your initial statements about your rights under the Sale of Goods Act 1979.

I'm following Madiba's example and giving you a chance to reconcile the forum to you by letting you make this admission. As an olive branch, I'll assume the "1970" SoG Act was a typo, there you go.

Well done, you bullied them. Just so long as you understand, and acknowledge, that you're wrong in your initial statements about your rights under the Sale of Goods Act 1979.

I'm following Madiba's example and giving you a chance to reconcile the forum to you by letting you make this admission. As an olive branch, I'll assume the "1970" SoG Act was a typo, there you go.

Got it wrong - I can admit that - but you got the general gist, as did Argos. I wouldn't call it bullying them, but I got what is rightly mines.

I never had Dicko down as an Argos punter.

I thought by now he would have had a personal shopping assistant to go along with the cleaner and the gardener.

Times must be hard in Dicko land.

I'm not an Argos customer. It was actually a present from my girlfriends son. He won a Google Nexus 7 in a school competition and I was the only person he knew who didn't have a tablet - I've never really seen a need for one when I have a smartphone and a laptop. I had it a day - hadn't even set it up yet - and when I plugged in the charger, left it on my bedside table and when I woke up the screen had cracked. The school had bought it two days earlier so we got the receipt and took it to Argos who claim that the product has a 30 day money back guarantee however they refused to honour that and instead insisted on sending it for a repair. When it got there their repair man claimed that the screen had cracked because I had "twisted" the Nexus case to the point where the screen cracked - something that is simply untrue. The store wanted £172 to fix it.

It's more than a bit ridiculous that Argos didn't put this right in store and that I've had to go to the CEO to get it sorted but at least they are doing it. However as I've said it's worth highlighting the fact that Argos customer service is substandard and that someone not as determined as me might not have had the same conclusion. I wouldn't recommend purchasing electrical items from Argos to anyone.

I'm not an Argos customer. It was actually a present from my girlfriends son. He won a Google Nexus 7 in a school competition and I was the only person he knew who didn't have a tablet - I've never really seen a need for one when I have a smartphone and a laptop. I had it a day - hadn't even set it up yet - and when I plugged in the charger, left it on my bedside table and when I woke up the screen had cracked. The school had bought it two days earlier so we got the receipt and took it to Argos who claim that the product has a 30 day money back guarantee however they refused to honour that and instead insisted on sending it for a repair. When it got there their repair man claimed that the screen had cracked because I had "twisted" the Nexus case to the point where the screen cracked - something that is simply untrue. The store wanted £172 to fix it.

It's more than a bit ridiculous that Argos didn't put this right in store and that I've had to go to the CEO to get it sorted but at least they are doing it. However as I've said it's worth highlighting the fact that Argos customer service is substandard and that someone not as determined as me might not have had the same conclusion. I wouldn't recommend purchasing electrical items from Argos to anyone

You spout shite, therefor you are an arsehole!

Edited by dmc

Got it wrong - I can admit that - but you got the general gist, as did Argos. I wouldn't call it bullying them, but I got what is rightly mines. 

Let me see if I've understood this correctly. You accept that you had no right to a replacement but you got a replacement because it was rightly yours.

Sorry for quoting, bluto, I should know better - perfect example of want you were talking about elsewhere.

I'm out.

Let me see if I've understood this correctly. You accept that you had no right to a replacement but you got a replacement because it was rightly yours.

Sorry for quoting, bluto, I should know better - perfect example of want you were talking about elsewhere.

I'm out.

Nope - I accept that I got the date wrong for the Sale of Goods Act. However I knew I had a right to a full refund, and that is indeed what I am getting.

you know im glad im a musican (witch you probably dont see as a real or important) then i dont have to deal with guys like you in a retail job. i worked in call centre and left cause of people like you expecting the world from people and being angry and all that when you didnt get what you wanted. at least now if folk complain i just turn the volume up!

you know im glad im a musican (witch you probably dont see as a real or important) then i dont have to deal with guys like you in a retail job. i worked in call centre and left cause of people like you expecting the world from people and being angry and all that when you didnt get what you wanted. at least now if folk complain i just turn the volume up!

That doesn't make any sense at all - unless you were really shite at customer service.

You're a musician so lets say you've gone out and bought yourself a new keyboard. You plug it in and play it and two of the keys fall off and you take it back to the store where you bought it and they tell you that they think you broke it and refuse you a refund or a replacement and instead they want you to pay roughly the same as it cost new to get it repaired. Are you telling me that you'd walk away quietly deciding that you wouldn't want to upset the person who's trying to rip you off - or would you do the same as me and ensure you got what you rightfully should have when you've been sold a faulty product that isn't fit for purpose?

Edited by Stuart Dickson