Farewell Tony Benn

I suspect I've not even told you what my premise would be, so you are not in a position to comment (not that this would normally stop you).

Aha.

Just as in the Referendum Thread, an attempt to stamp out all attempt at discussion and debate... If it doesn't blindly accept your line.

You've no really got the hang of this "FORUM" thing, have you? :)

Aha.

Just as in the Referendum Thread, an attempt to stamp out all attempt at discussion and debate... If it doesn't blindly accept your line.

You've no really got the hang of this "FORUM" thing, have you? smile.png

Listen Roddie, I really can't be arsed with this petty tit for tat thing you seem keen on nurturing between us. This is a thread about Tony Benn, so let's just call it quits and find something more worthwhile to do. I'm sure everyone else on here would welcome that, too.

I've got to side with Drew on this, bluto, and it's nothing to with being a fellow Nat, I think you know me better than that. He was basically agreeing with my post i.e. more people like Tony Benn in positions of power in the UK and less like Thatcher and Blair would mean that we in Scotland wouldn't need to think about independence.

Slash, I listened to an interview at around 5.30pm on the Radio 5 with some Labour Party grandee from the 60's and 70's and he wasn't quite as generous as many on here have been. The guy started off by saying Benn was always affable and polite, and then went on to say that the problem was he was always wrong. He then basically alluded to Benn's lurch to the left in the late 60's as being a rather dishonest attempt by him to make a name for himself amongst his peers who were far better politicians - he mentioned names like Roy Jenkins, Shirley Williams, Dennis Healy and James Callaghan as contemporaries within the Labour Party who eclipsed Benns ability. He also said that had Benn managed to win the Deputy Leader post to Michael Foot in the 70's that it would have been the end of the Labour Party altogether.

Personally I always thought Benn was watchable when he popped up on TV. I could never agree with much that he said but I guess that's not all that surprising. I suppose we should all mourne his passing though - after all it means that for a truly left wing political opinion these days the BBC will have to turn to that f**ker Ken Livingstone!

Slash, I listened to an interview at around 5.30pm on the Radio 5 with some Labour Party grandee from the 60's and 70's and he wasn't quite as generous as many on here have been. The guy started off by saying Benn was always affable and polite, and then went on to say that the problem was he was always wrong. He then basically alluded to Benn's lurch to the left in the late 60's as being a rather dishonest attempt by him to make a name for himself amongst his peers who were far better politicians - he mentioned names like Roy Jenkins, Shirley Williams, Dennis Healy and James Callaghan as contemporaries within the Labour Party who eclipsed Benns ability. He also said that had Benn managed to win the Deputy Leader post to Michael Foot in the 70's that it would have been the end of the Labour Party altogether.

Personally I always thought Benn was watchable when he popped up on TV. I could never agree with much that he said but I guess that's not all that surprising. I suppose we should all mourne his passing though - after all it means that for a truly left wing political opinion these days the BBC will have to turn to that f**ker Ken Livingstone!

1eye.gif1eye.gif1eye.gif

It's all about personalities, then?

Just finished watching the bio on Tony Benn on BBC 2 and between that and throughout the day all the usual right-wing careerist Labour politicians - Williams, Kinnoch, Hattersley et al - spouting their dislike for Tony - 'he was catastrophic for the Labour Party' blah, blah. How many left-wing views did we hear? Not too many if any!

Unfortunately, he didn't succeed in changing the path to the right the party took which eventually manifested itself in the guise of Blair and the deletion of Clause IV of the party constitution. You know, these nasty ideological out of date concepts like nationalisation that would destroy the world as we know it. However, it was this very concept that Cameron had to use on a 'temporary' basis to save capitalism by rescuing the banks by state bail-outs.

Just finished watching the bio on Tony Benn on BBC 2 and between that and throughout the day all the usual right-wing careerist Labour politicians - Williams, Kinnoch, Hattersley et al - spouting their dislike for Tony - 'he was catastrophic for the Labour Party' blah, blah. How many left-wing views did we hear? Not too many if any!

Unfortunately, he didn't succeed in changing the path to the right the party took which eventually manifested itself in the guise of Blair and the deletion of Clause IV of the party constitution. You know, these nasty ideological out of date concepts like nationalisation that would destroy the world as we know it. However, it was this very concept that Cameron had to use on a 'temporary' basis to save capitalism by rescuing the banks by state bail-outs.

Don't you think it's refreshing that in a world where we condemn politicians as perpetual liars, here are some people who will give their actual opinion of the individual rather than the usual glib gloss that you tend to get when someone dies.

Benns heyday in politics appears to have come before I was born when he himself was a slightly left of centre moderate - a bit like his son is today. Why he veered left is anyones guess. Perhaps he had been selling out his principles in his early political career. Perhaps it's true that he realised that he was never going to lead the Labour Party and he carved out a niche for himself as the UK's not quite so loony lefty. Perhaps it was because he was a self publicist who realised that if he was more controversial he could become more famous. Certainly if its the later I'm sure he'd have been pretty happy dying with the knowledge that he'd managed to get so deep under the likes of Roy Hattersley's skin.

TBF vinyl recordings(records) are currently enjoying a resurgence , sales are at a record high. .

Here is what the Torygraph said. .

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/music/music-news/10556186/Vinyl-sales-highest-for-15-years.html

I'm aware of the current resurgence of vinyl, it was only a light hearted comment.

I appreciate your assistance. wink.png

Edited by faraway saint