Where We All Grew Up

My son is a huge wrestling fan so I know exactly who you mean. I would have put a capital.'R' for him. This could be misconstrued on a forum like this but wasn't he a real good looking guy too.? .

I honestly didn't know who he was referring to. Is that the wrestling with that Stephanie McMann or however you spell her name?

In St James Street? In the middle of the day?

Are you taking it...?

Naw. What do you think he's doing? What's in his hand? Apparently in the UK it's still legal to pee on the rear nearside wheel of a coach. The bus is in the middle of the road so how could he tell which was the nearside or offside? Maybe he didn't know his right from his left and anyway his hands were full.

It does look like St.James Street. Did the buses used to sit in the middle of the road where the tram lines used to be? I think it was a sort of terminus back then.

Is that not only legal for the driver? I thought it was the rear offside, but I could be wrong (for once lol.gif ).

I think you're right. (for once) But surely you could stretch a point for Hector? Even inspectors need to pee.

A McGills bus broke down on Barrhead Road near the dam. The driver went under the bus to see what was up and the conductress, trying to be helpful, shouted to him 'Do you want a screwdriver?' The driver shouted back 'For f**k's sake,no the noo. Can you no see a'hm busy?'

Oh how we laughed round Glenburn cc1959.

They say the old one's are the best - apparently they lie. lol.gif

Just one question - where is this dam on Barrhead Road?

I probably should have said the reservoir on Glenfield Road. Is the road to the right at the end of Glenfield Road not Barrhead Road? It's a long time since I lived there. Brown & Polson owned the whole thing I believe. They certainly owned the fishing rights and as my mother worked in Polsons I qualified for a fishing permit. Hardly ever caught a thing. Polsons stocked it regularly but then somebody caught a bloody great pike. They drained it, found I believe another couple of pike then restocked it with trout. I still caught bog all. Swam in there a few times. Ditto both Linns.

Would freeze the knackers off you.

Barrhead Road runs from the top of Lonend up to the top of Hawkhead Road. It's Caplethill Road you're thinking about. You might have referred to it as Barrhead Road as it went to Barrhead but it wasn't officially that. Is the Dam at the end of Glenfield Road not called Polson's Dam - I'm not a native Gleb so I could be wrong? Don't know if that is its official name or not but that is how folk refer to it. I walk the mutt up there at least every second day.

I should have remembered it was Caplethill Road. We called it Polsons Dam too but officially it was Brown & Polson's. Nice to think that at least some mention of the old company is remembered.

Talking about buses and getting back on track, it wid be absolutely wonderful if we won the Scottish Cup in May, and had the marvelous sight of our heroes and legends traversing round Paisley on an Open Top Bus.

Rick, I got a near three pound Brown Trout out of Polson's dam on the first day of the season in '73.....ahhhhh them were the Days.

When they drained it there were loads of Pike taken out ,a load of them were hung up on thon' jaggy fence along the roadside.

I used to help out at Bobby Watt's pony trekking place which was beside the Dam,one of the reasons I am so familiar with the place.

That and the fact I was born at 103 Glenfield Road cloud9.gif Now sadly demolished..........B******s !!!

Rick, I got a near three pound Brown Trout out of Polson's dam on the first day of the season in '73.....ahhhhh them were the Days.

When they drained it there were loads of Pike taken out ,a load of them were hung up on thon' jaggy fence along the roadside.

I used to help out at Bobby Watt's pony trekking place which was beside the Dam,one of the reasons I am so familiar with the place.

That and the fact I was born at 103 Glenfield Road cloud9.gif Now sadly demolished..........B******s !!!

If I ever caught a three pound brown trout I would throw a party. What a great fish. I was fishing up there until the late sixties, a few years ahead of you. I didn't realise the problem with pike was just that bad. I do vaguely remember a pony trekking place because I still visited my folks in Greenbank Drive. Glenburn was a nice place to live in.

If I ever caught a three pound brown trout I would throw a party. What a great fish. I was fishing up there until the late sixties, a few years ahead of you. I didn't realise the problem with pike was just that bad. I do vaguely remember a pony trekking place because I still visited my folks in Greenbank Drive. Glenburn was a nice place to live in.

I have nothing but good memories,especially around the time I am talking about above.

I got my first leather jacket from the Glenfield Market around 1973.

It disnae fit presently.

Bought loads of stuff from the Market, it was literally a minutes walk from the hoose.Oor tenement was immediately over the wee rise as you went past the Entrance heading towards Braehead. The Market had a flag with a Ghost Logo on it. The company was called Spook Erections...ohmy.pngohmy.pngohmy.pnghttp://www.spookerection.com/about_us.php

Edited by thomsons dropped it

Bought loads of stuff from the Market, it was literally a minutes walk from the hoose.Oor tenement was immediately over the wee rise as you went past the Entrance heading towards Braehead. The Market had a flag with a Ghost Logo on it. The company was called Spook Erections...ohmy.pngohmy.pngohmy.png

That reminds me, Smokie will need to send me doon more pills whistling.gif

I think you're right. (for once) But surely you could stretch a point for Hector? Even inspectors need to pee.

A McGills bus broke down on Barrhead Road near the dam. The driver went under the bus to see what was up and the conductress, trying to be helpful, shouted to him 'Do you want a screwdriver?' The driver shouted back 'For f**k's sake,no the noo. Can you no see a'hm busy?'

Oh how we laughed round Glenburn cc1959.

Actually the best Paisley themed bus joke doing the rounds at about that time was, in my opinion anyway, this one:

There was a large crowd gathered in Causeyside Street when PC Plod turned up to see what was going on. Pushing through the crowd he was surprised to see a dead goldfish lying in the middle of the road - 'Did anyone see what happened?' he asked the shocked throng. 'Aye me' a wee boy piped up 'it got run doon by the Borrheid bus'. 'He's right' said another onlooker 'when I got here it was still alive and it kept repeating 'ma gills! ma gills!'

Eat your heart out Kevin Bridges, Billy Connolly, Frankie Boyle, etc, etc ...on second thoughts maybe I'll just keep quiet in future.

I have nothing but good memories,especially around the time I am talking about above.

So when you were born I was only about 200yds. away across the railway in Greenbank Drive. Wonder what I was doing that night? Do you remember the wee swing park on Langcraigs Drive? There used to be some old building there-- it might have been part of the dye works-- and we all got real excited when they knocked it down and opened the swings. Archie lived at 45 Langcraigs Drive just up the road so we spent a lot of time there. Do you remember him living there? He didn't move away until 1967 when he signed for Preston. That swing park must have been almost outside your back door.

I actually think Glenburn is more upmarket in some ways nowadays but it was a great place to grow up. I still have a walk round when I'm over and on Paddy's day last year I bloody near knackered myself walking up the Braes. I could have sworn the tenements were still there that day. I was damn near too buggered to go to Hampden. What a mistake that would have been.